• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    For the last fortnight, I've been staying in a Somerset hamlet called Rodhuish. Does anyone know how pronounce it?
    I think I've cracked this one. Frau A took me out for an early birthday meal in Dunster. One of the staff there was brought up in Rodhuish, and he said the official pronunciation is as it's spelt: Rod-hyoo-ish, but some of the locals pronounce it "Roddish". They seem to do this kind of thing in West Somerset. Carhampton is prounounced exactly as spelt, but many villagers shorten it to "Crampton".

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

They seem to do this kind of thing in West Somerset. Carhampton is prounounced exactly as spelt, but many villagers shorten it to "Crampton".
      Not sure whether they actually shorten it or whether it just comes out like that. If there's a difference. RP speakers (like me) would make C-hampton, stressing the h rather than the r.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Yes; that would make sense.

Did I mention the director of the choir I've joined asking us to do an open hum, like "u" in "butter"? All sorts of problems there.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Did I mention the director of the choir I've joined asking us to do an open hum, like "u" in "butter"? All sorts of problems there.
          What, for a Devonian like you? Mmm, but I suppose it does come out more like 'baa'der'
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Well I did tell the MD I pronounced it "booter".

Comment

• Lat-Literal
              • Aug 2015

Mischevious.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                • Aug 2015

Following Justin Webb's pronunciation of chinook as chin-ock, I switched over to Vanessa Feltz who almost immediately pronounded detritus as detreetus.

By anyone's standards, it was not a good morning.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Interesting to hear (on the recent BBC4 documentary on Joyce discussed elsethread) the different variations on "Ulysses". I've always said "You'll 'e sees".

(Anjelica Huston's "Trieste" - rhyming with "Vesta" - was a new one on me, too.)
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    Interesting to hear (on the recent BBC4 documentary on Joyce discussed elsethread) the different variations on "Ulysses". I've always said "You'll 'e sees".

(Anjelica Huston's "Trieste" - rhyming with "Vesta" - was a new one on me, too.)
                    Re the latter, she is probably getting confused with Van Gogh's last words "La tristesse durera toujours".

See also the Manic Street Preachers.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

It seems about right for the Italian pronunciation - which makes it a bit like referring to Roma, Firenze or Napoli.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                        Mischevious.
                        Never met her...

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                          • Aug 2015

Most newsreaders seem to be saying Sene for Seine in regard to the river although Duncan Golestani said Sane. I think there was a time when they and we all said Sane when it is Sene that is probably more accurate. However, isn't there an argument for having an English pronunciation? We don't say Pari. We say Pariss. Also, Mark Tully on Something Understood has referred to the composer William Mathias as William Matheeas. Is that correct? I knew Matthiases - admittedly with two ts - when young and they pronounced their name Matheyeus.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                            However, isn't there an argument for having an English pronunciation? We don't say Pari. We say Pariss.
                            It's a curious thing - French place names: "Paris" is the only one we give an English pronunciation - Lyons, Boulogne, Reims, Calais, Grez-sur-Loing ... all given with some attempt at a French pronunciation. WW1 soldiers encountering "Ypres" for the first time may have resulted in The Wipers Times, but it didn't catch on. Place names in other countries we say "in English" (Milan, Naples, St Petersburg, Athens ... ) but, apart from Paris, not French. Probably the result of being harried by the Normans.

Also, Mark Tully on Something Understood has referred to the composer William Mathias as William Matheeas. Is that correct? I knew Matthiases - admittedly with two ts - when young and they pronounced their name Matheyeus.
                            Yes - as in the detective in the Welsh detective series Y Gwyll/Hinterland, with the emphasis on the "eye" second syllable. Alpie's the best person to comment here.
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Yes - as in the detective in the Welsh detective series Y Gwyll/Hinterland, with the emphasis on the "eye" second syllable. Alpie's the best person to comment here.
                              He was always known as "Prof", but was pronounced by others with an "eye".

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

It's a curious thing - French place names: "Paris" is the only one we give an English pronunciation - Lyons,
                                Here we have a spelling anomaly too. For years, we added an S, and when I first visited France in 1965, I was staggered when the train stopped at a station called LYON. I thought there'd been some mistake, but soon discovered tat we British has been making the mistake, perhaps to make it look more French (ditto Marseille/Marseilles).
                                Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 28-01-18, 14:13. Reason: Inept sentence construction

Comment

Working...
                                X