• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    The estate agent's coming here tomorrow, so I'll ask how the locals pronounce Rodhuish. I favour FF's suggestion, but I heard someone say "Roddish" when at nearby Dunster Castle.
    Perhaps someone had asked them "What do you think of it so far?" ?
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• jean
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      So not unlike "Wirral"?
      Very unlike what Pabs suggests, if you ask me - the local pronunciation is very straightforward if you pronounce it at all (which I try to avoid).

We've certainly imported a French pronunciation for Bombardier Aéronautique, haven't we? Will it displace the Anglicised bombardier, as in

...Old Man Winters likes his beer
      And his missus ran off with a bombardier...

Comment

• Pabmusic
        • May 2011

Originally posted by jean View Post
        Very unlike what Pabs suggests, if you ask me - the local pronunciation is very straightforward if you pronounce it at all (which I try to avoid).

We've certainly imported a French pronunciation for Bombardier Aéronautique, haven't we? Will it displace the Anglicised bombardier, as in

...Old Man Winters likes his beer
        And his missus ran off with a bombardier...
        Not sure what you mean, Jean. I'm no expert on Wirral, but reckon I'm qualified to talk about Wherewell, whose pronunciation of Wurrl (deep growl over two syllables) was beginning to be displaced by the furrners who wanted to pronounce it as spelt, when I was young.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
          Not sure what you mean, Jean. I'm no expert on Wirral, but reckon I'm qualified to talk about Wherewell, whose pronunciation of Wurrl (deep growl over two syllables) was beginning to be displaced by the furrners who wanted to pronounce it as spelt, when I was young.
          I think that jean was, quite rightly, slapping my wrist for bringing etymological considerations into a Thread on "pronunciation", Pabs.

Comment

• Pabmusic
            • May 2011

I think that jean was, quite rightly, slapping my wrist for bringing etymological considerations into a Thread on "pronunciation", Pabs.
            No doubt thoroughly deserved, Ferney. Sometmes this all gets beyond me.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

No doubt thoroughly deserved, Ferney. Sometmes this all gets beyond me.
              She knows I enjoy it, really .

Comment

• Pabmusic
                • May 2011

She knows I enjoy it, really .
                When did Percy Grainger enter into it?

Comment

• jean
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

I may have mmisunderstood you - I know nothing about any pronunciation of Wherewell, but neither of the pronunciations you suggest seems very like the way they pronounce Wirral.

I cannot say how Sir Gawain or the inhabitants of the Wilderness of Wirral pronounced it when he passed through:

alle þe iles of anglesay on lyft half he haldez
                  and farez ouer þe fordez by þe forlondez
                  ouer at þe holy hede til he hade eft bonk
                  in þe wyldrenesse of wyrale wonde þer bot lyte
                  þat auþer god oþer gome wyth goud hert louied...

Comment

• jean
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

I don't think there's an etymological connexion, even - I was just questioning what you seemed to think was the local pronunciation of Wirral!

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      Rod(h)ewish?
                      Yes - I think so - perhaps cross-check on the pronunciation of Huish Champflower and Huish Episcopi?

The overheard shortened version may well have had a hint of "w" as in "g'woam home".

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by jean View Post
                        I don't think there's an etymological connexion, even - I was just questioning what you seemed to think was the local pronunciation of Wirral!
                        Doesn't it hail from the Liverpudlian day trip: It's lovely today, Wirral we go?

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                          For the last fortnight, I've been staying in a Somerset hamlet called Rodhuish. Does anyone know how pronounce it?
                          Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                          ... cross-check on the pronunciation of Huish Champflower and Huish Episcopi?
                          ... for what it's worth the village of Hardenhuish near where I was brung up was pronounced 'Harnish' when I was a child; recent offcomers have changed all that, and most now say 'Harden-hew-ish'

All this book larnin'

"Hardenhuish was originally an old Saxon village where Heregeardinge established his Hivisce or family holding. Its first traceable mention was in AD 854 when Aethelwulf, King of the West Saxons, granted the Charter of Heregeardinge's Hivisce to Wilferth the thane. Through the years that title became various forms of Hardenhuish and although officially spelled that way today, it has always been pronounced 'Harnish' by the locals"

Last edited by vinteuil; 17-10-17, 11:46.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... for what it's worth the village of Hardenhuish near where I was brung up was pronounced 'Harnish' when I was a child; recent offcomers have changed all that, and most now say 'Harden-hew-ish'

All this book larnin'

Oh - very interesting - maybe it is that then!

(Mind you, if we can now pronounce things as we like I rather fancy hweesh as in quiche)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

When did Percy Grainger enter into it?
                              If you can't join 'em ...

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                                (Mind you, if we can now pronounce things as we like I rather fancy hweesh as in quiche)
                                But Rodhuish which was the original subject of the query was Rad Hewis in the Domesday Book. I suspect 'Rad' is from the name of the then lord - Rad. or Radulphus - and Huish is from Saxon hiwisc meaning a hide of land, or an area of land big enough to support a household. 'Harnish' may be/have been a rural pronunciation for Hardenhuish but would only have been a corrupt version for Har'nhewish
                                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                                X