• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    Fred or Bert?
    Ooh! Good point - I was thinking of Bert.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

There's a famous family called Stein
      There's Gert, there's Ep, and there's Ein.
      Gert's prose is all bunk
      Ep's sculptures are junk
      And no-one can understand Ein
      Brilliant. One to add to my Limerick collection...and a clean one to boot.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        Ooh! Good point - I was thinking of Bert.
        If there was anywhere where Bert was taken for Fred it would be here, I suppose (I did too).
        Last edited by french frank; 12-10-17, 16:50.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pabmusic
          • May 2011

Different point: I've recently learned from his 1st cousin (who knew his 'Uncle Alick' - George's father - well) that George Butterworth's second given name was always pronounced in the French way - George Sainton (Santohn-ish) Kaye Butterworth. Makes sense as he was named for the wife of Prosper Sainton, who was French. But No-one on the radio or TV seems to know it.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

For the last fortnight, I've been staying in a Somerset hamlet called Rodhuish. Does anyone know how pronounce it?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              For the last fortnight, I've been staying in a Somerset hamlet called Rodhuish. Does anyone know how pronounce it?
              Shhhhh - don't let the locals know!

Comment

• Padraig
                • Feb 2013

I'd guess Raw-ish in keeping with Irish pronunciation (approx). How do they pronounce it there?

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                  Rod(h)ewish?
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                    • May 2011

Rod(h)ewish?
                    I found a site devoted to pronunciations of place names, which reckons your pronunciation (with the aitch) and 'roddish' are both acceptable. Presumably the latter is more common among older local folk.

This reminds me of Shrewsbury - 'Shrows-' or 'Shrews-'? (Answer, either) But almost without exception older local folk say 'Shoosbry'.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                      I found a site devoted to pronunciations of place names, which reckons your pronunciation (with the aitch) and 'roddish' are both acceptable. Presumably the latter is more common among older local folk.
                      I would say Roddhewish (as if it were two words), but I suppose the h might drop is you were speaking quickly. When I was small there was a village which we called Coomsbury (spelt Congresbury); but I think incomers have prevailed and it's now Cong(r)sbury.

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

When I was small there was a village which we called Coomsbury (spelt Congresbury); but I think incomers have prevailed and it's now Cong(r)sbury.
                        ... yes, it's often the case when people learn to read - an increased tendency to pronounce words according to their spelling.

/

Comment

• Pabmusic
                          • May 2011

I would say Roddhewish (as if it were two words), but I suppose the h might drop is you were speaking quickly. When I was small there was a village which we called Coomsbury (spelt Congresbury); but I think incomers have prevailed and it's now Cong(r)sbury.
                          There's a village near Andover named Wherewell, which is generally pronounced (nowadays) as spelt. But'n oi'r lad, 'twere Wurl, with the 'rl' drawn out to contain several sounds over two syllables.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                            There's a village near Andover named Wherewell, which is generally pronounced (nowadays) as spelt. But'n oi'r lad, 'twere Wurl, with the 'rl' drawn out to contain several sounds over two syllables.
                            So not unlike "Wirral"?
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pabmusic
                              • May 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                              So not unlike "Wirral"?
                              I suppose not, as long as there's a deep 'clearing the throat' quality to it.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

The estate agent's coming here tomorrow, so I'll ask how the locals pronounce Rodhuish. I favour FF's suggestion, but I heard someone say "Roddish" when at nearby Dunster Castle.

Comment

Working...
                                X