• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sir Velo
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    Sean Bean?
    Ah, but you're mixing your Irish with your anglo saxon!

Comment

• jean
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

As was he (or his parents!)

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
        Ah, but you're mixing your Irish with your anglo saxon!
        Anglo-Saxon?

While I'm here, is there any evidence (this may have arisen recently) to justify the pronunciation Ann. Sir. Mett. for E. Ansermet, b. Vevey, d. Geneva?
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by jean View Post
          As was he (or his parents!)
          Mine, too. (Well - grandparents, actually.)
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

While I'm here, is there any evidence (this may have arisen recently) to justify the pronunciation Ann. Sir. Mett. for E. Ansermet, b. Vevey, d. Geneva?
            ... this did indeed arise recently.

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
            I thought I caught Ansermet pronounced with a hard t the other day . Amazingly there's ' how to pronounce Swiss German correctly website ' which has a very polished En - Sir - May on it. Sir doesn't quite do justice to the vowel sound but you get the drift . Still however you pronounce it good to hear him conducting .

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... but surely Ernest Alexandre Ansermet, born in Vevey, teaching in Lausanne, was a francophone ("Suisse Romande") and not Swiss German?

I know that the final -t can be pronounced in French proper names (notoriously Moët, which is mo-ett and not mo-way) - but I wd never think to pronounce a final -t in Ansermet.

I hadn't realised, until looking up on wiki, a darker unattractive side to the man -

" In Ansermet's book, Les fondements de la musique dans la conscience humaine (1961), he sought to prove, using Husserlian phenomenology and partly his own mathematical studies, that Schoenberg's idiom was false and irrational. He labeled it a "Jewish idea" and went on to say that "the Jew is a me who speaks as though he were an I," that the Jew "suffers from thoughts doubly misformed", thus making him "suitable for the handling of money", and sums up with the statement that "historic creation of Western music" would have developed just as well "without the Jew". Ansermet's reputation suffered after the war because of his collaboration with the Nazis and he was boycotted in the new state of Israel."

That he could have written such stuff ... in 1961! - beggars belief.

Comment

• jean
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Auguste Pinochet?

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Auguste Pinochet?
                ... ah, that's a much more complicated kettle de poissons. I recall a lengthy string of replies on this subject - was it on these Boards or on the predecessors? - on the political significance (?) of pronouncing or not the final T. I shall see if I can excavate...

But for starters -

Augusto Pinochet, the former dictator of Chile, died on Sunday at the age of 91; the debate over how to pronounce his name lives on. According to the...

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  ... this did indeed arise recently.
                  Yes, I remembered your mentioning that he was, not surprisingly, from Suisse Romande (though I didn't know that Ansermet actually founded the S-R Orchestra). But as I was listening and definitely heard it thus pronounced, I wished to make assurance doubly sure that such a pronunciation was at least unlikely in the extreme.

[Not Auguste Pinochet but Augusto, I think. We are in the uncertain realm of Martha Argerich &c. here.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    [Not Auguste Pinochet but Augusto, I think.
                    Indeed, see here - so as likely as not no final T even in Chile.

So you might expect an approximation to an authentic German Vineshtine.
                    Or a slightly less German Winestine.
                    Or failing that, an anglicised Weensteen.
                    But the authorised pronunciation seems to be Winesteen.
                    Which is odd, since there's the same vowel in both syllables.
                    I thought that was on its way to being a limerick, jean......

But, as per your second line, I see the US Senator Dianne Feinstein pronounces her name thus
                    Last edited by Guest; 11-10-17, 17:36.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                      Indeed, see here - so as likely as not no final T even in Chile.
                      And mee-CHELL batch-el-ETT At least the French emphases are retained.

In Bristol, the usual pronunciation for John and Sebastian Cabot was CABB-oh (pretentious, nous?). Under the influence of incomers we have been taught to pronounce it more correctly as CABButt, the gentlemen being in origin not French but Italian, so Caboto (or, more properly Venetian Chabotto - thanks Wiki).

Comment

• kernelbogey
                        • Nov 2010

The man's name is spelt Weinstein.

So you might expect an approximation to an authentic German Vineshtine.

Or a slightly less German Winestine.

Or failing that, an anglicised Weensteen.

But the authorised pronunciation seems to be Winesteen.

Which is odd, since there's the same vowel in both syllables.
                        I am fairly certain that the preferred US pronunciation of names ending in -stein is steen. I agree that there's an inconsistency. (And I'm not sure how in the US they pronounce Alfred Einstein - I've never come across a -steen pronunciation.)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                          I am fairly certain that the preferred US pronunciation of names ending in -stein is steen. I agree that there's an inconsistency.
                          Yes - Elmer was "Bernsteen", Lennie was "Bernstine". (IIRC, Joan Payser in her sensationalist biography intimated that "_stine" was "posher" and that Lennie adjusted the pronunciation from the more "common" version. So that's probably not correct!)

(And I'm not sure how in the US they pronounce Alfred Einstein - I've never come across a -steen pronunciation.)
                          Perhaps, because Einstine's name was so well-known in the United States before he moved there, the German pronunciation was easily maintained?
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

Perhaps, because Einstine's name was so well-known in the United States before he moved there, the German pronunciation was easily maintained?

... probs they knew the limerique -

There's a famous family called Stein
                            There's Gert, there's Ep, and there's Ein.
                            Gert's prose is all bunk
                            Ep's sculptures are junk
                            And no-one can understand Ein

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

(And I'm not sure how in the US they pronounce Alfred Einstein - I've never come across a -steen pronunciation.)
                              Fred or Bert?

Comment

• ahinton
                                • Nov 2010

(Leo) Ornstein seems to have been or become a "steen" but at what stage in his life this might have happened I have no idea; whether relocating to USA played any part in this I also do not know but, having done so at the age or around 12, he had plenty more time to find out how people pronounced his surname - a further 96 years, in fact...

Anyway, whatever the pronunciation, ein Stein is a stone whereas Ein Audi is a car...

Comment

Working...
                                X