• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
    I have just bought a pair of shoes, very expertly fitted by a young man who really knew his podiatry.
    However, I found him difficult to understand because he had the common habit of speaking rapidly in a manner which elided whole syllables from words.
    Do others have the same problem understanding some young people's speech?
    Oh, yes.

And some middle-aged and elderly people's speech, too.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      Oh, yes.

And some middle-aged and elderly people's speech, too.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

OK, BBC presenters. Try saying "Gluck".

No, not Glerk, Glack or Glock, or any transitional possibility between any of these. Pronounce it the way they do in Germany.

Ah, you've nearly got it. Now do the same for book, took, good, hood.
        Oh, dear, you're hopeless at this. Try again, but this time open your mouth at least one centimetre when you do it.

That's better. Now we'll try a different one: tune.

NO!! You are not a French speaker, pronouncing the "u" like you would in lune, plume, pupitre. It's a long 'oo" sound. Use those facial muscles and pull your lips inwards to make a circle, and then say "oo"

What brought this on?

SM-P introducing "In Tyeen" today.

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          That's better. Now we'll try a different one: tune.

NO!! You are not a French speaker, pronouncing the "u" like you would in lune, plume, pupitre. It's a long 'oo" sound. Use those facial muscles and pull your lips inwards to make a circle, and then say "oo"
          What brought this on?
          SM-P introducing "In Tyeen" today.
          Now you see I wouldn't use "oo" but "ew", as in knew.
          And I've just realised the extent to which I have lost facility with " and ' - too much exposure to imaginative usage presumably.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Just been listening to Sarah W on EC plugging Ethel Smyth's "The Boatswain's Mate" pronouncing it (several times) as Boat-swain

(But I see that acc. to this, it actually is pronounced Boat-swain in American English.)

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
              Just been listening to Sarah W on EC plugging Ethel Smyth's "The Boatswain's Mate" pronouncing it (several times) as Boat-swain

(But I see that acc. to this, it actually is pronounced Boat-swain in American English.)
              Strange - I was discussing it with my brother (who hadn't heard of it) yesterday (vis-à-vis Ethel Smith) and was automatically saying bo'sun. Must be my age …
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                • May 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                Strange - I was discussing it with my brother (who hadn't heard of it) yesterday (vis-à-vis Ethel Smith) and was automatically saying bo'sun. Must be my age …
                No. It's probably that you were brought up with Trafalgar, Treasure Island, and G & S.

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post

... but the Americans seem to get it right with coxswain -

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                    No. It's probably that you were brought up with Trafalgar, Treasure Island, and G & S.
                    Which reminds me, one used occasionally to hear people stressing the first syllable, which I thought was the posh person's way to pronounce it (as in the Bettle of TRAffulgah). But this isn't like Spanish Tárrega. On checking, there's no accent, so (RichardT will correct me if necessary) it would be stressed on the final syllable (not the middle one) - Tràfalgár. So I wonder whether the 'posh' way was simply making the initial, secondary stress too strong, and thus the primary stress (and English-like swallowing the unstressed syllable)?
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

Trafalgar : as wiki reminds us, "The name is of Arabic origin, Taraf al-Ghar (طرف الغار 'cape of the cave/laurel'). Or corresponding possibly to Taraf al-Gharb (طرف الغرب 'cape of the west'). In both cases, taraf (طرف) literally means 'edge' or 'extremity' and hence refers to a promontory (edge of the land). In modern Arabic, however, the place is sometimes re-transcribed as al-Taraf al-Aghar (الطرف الأغر)"

The normal English stress on the second syllable of course bears no relation at all to the etymological root - the definite article al wd not be stressed.

A 'posh' pronunciation which avoided the stress on the second syllable wd have the advantage of respecting the etymological roots...

Comment

• Padraig
                        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        So I wonder whether the 'posh' way was simply making the initial, secondary stress too strong, and thus the primary stress (and English-like swallowing the unstressed syllable)?
                        See: 'Posh' English pronunciation of 'Londonderry'. Whereas we would say 'Londonderry, they would say Londond'ry. Of course, some of us would just say Derry, but that would be a political matter, that will not go away.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                          See: 'Posh' English pronunciation of 'Londonderry'. Whereas we would say 'Londonderry, they would say Londond'ry.
                          Interesting - I've always pronounced it (and, I think, heard it pronounced) with the emphasis on the first syllable.
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                            See: 'Posh' English pronunciation of 'Londonderry'. Whereas we would say 'Londonderry, they would say Londond'ry. Of course, some of us would just say Derry, but that would be a political matter, that will not go away.
                            "Posh" English is generally lazy English. I was watching Michael Heseltine on the news, and his mouth was almost frozen, like a ventriloquist.

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                              Interesting - I've always pronounced it (and, I think, heard it pronounced) with the emphasis on the first syllable.
                              ... there's always a stress on the first - London - the question is whether you also put a stress on the first syllable of the second element - derry.

The choice between the London derrière or the family of Vane-Tempest-Stewart, Marquesses of Londonderry [ (/ˈlʌndəndriː/ lun-dən-dree) ]

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                                "Posh" English is generally lazy English..
                                ... a lazy assertion, and one you have used before.

Comment

Working...
                                X