• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
    Perhaps the deciding factor is the importance of "weekend" in the sentence.
    And some confusion when the stress changes depending on the part of speech e.g. a survey, to survey: SURveying or surVEYing? I think I would generally say WEEKend when it was an adjective (the WEEKend shopping), but weekEND as a noun (at the weekEND) - where END is the important element and 'week' is an ATtribute (atTRIButing extra meaning).

So for me, "I'll see you next weekend" will have the stress on the second syllable - unlike for you
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pabmusic
      • May 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      ...So for me, "I'll see you next weekend" will have the stress on the second syllable - unlike for you
      But here's the thing, FF: I don't really know how I'd say it, since I'm conscious that this is what we're discussing, so it's unnatural. My rationalisation might be off. Though I suspect my point about emphasis/stress might carry some weight.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

I would pronounce it with an emphasis on the second syllable, but (unlike someone I once worked with) without a particularly marked stress. (She used to say something closer to "wiKend", a short "wee" - oh stop it! - and a distinct "K" starting the second.)

Actually, I think I also as often emphasise the first syllable - but never with the "K" sounded as part of the second syllable.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
          Both weekend and thirteen are accented on both syllables pretty much equally in most contexts, surely?
          That would be my position.

Comment

• Radio64
            • Jan 2014

Thanks. WEEKend sounds rather American to me .... British pron. would seem to be with a double stress WEEK'END' .. almost WEE'KEND'

fierce edit: thought as much - http://dictionary.cambridge.org/pron...nglish/weekend
            "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Both weekend and thirteen are accented on both syllables pretty much equally in most contexts, surely?
              Q. How old are you?
              A. ThirTEEN.

Q. Are you THIRteen or fourteen?
              A. THIRteen.

Comment

• Padraig
                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                A. THIRteen.

A. xIII

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Q. How old are you?
                  A. ThirTEEN.

A. THIRteen.
                  Underaged - so WATCH it!

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Pretty much equally? Does that mean 'equally' or 'almost, but not quite equally'? I think intonation also affects stress. Does a falling/pre-rising intonation result in a stressed syllable?
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                      • Aug 2015

Lord Hill on "The World at One" - Chimera pronounced kimmera as in Kimmeridge. I had always thought of it more as kymeera but perhaps I am wrong?

Sunil Khilnani on "Incarnations" - Calcutta as Calkerta with no emphasis on the second syllable - just the first. I suppose it has to be accepted this is right?

Comment

• jean
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Q. How old are you?
                        A. ThirTEEN.

A. THIRteen.
                        Q. Are you thirteen or thirty?
                        A. ThirTEEN!!!!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                          Lord Hill on "The World at One" - Chimera pronounced kimmera as in Kimmeridge. I had always thought of it more as kymeera but perhaps I am wrong?
                          I've often wondered what the correct pronunciation of this word is too, assuming there to be one. I've even heard "shimmerer" and "Shim airer"!

Comment

• jean
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Sunil Khilnani on "Incarnations" - Calcutta as Calkerta with no emphasis on the second syllable - just the first. I suppose it has to be accepted this is right?
                            Kolkata (Bengali: কলকাতা / কোলকাতা) /koʊlˈkɑːtɑː/, formerly Calcutta /kælˈkʌtə/, it says here.

Comment

• jean
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              Pretty much equally? Does that mean 'equally' or 'almost, but not quite equally'?
                              It means I think that I stress both syllables equally, but as we are notoriously likely to get it wrong when we reflect on our own practice, I have to allow for the possibility that I'm may not be perfectly correct.

Last edited by jean; 24-02-16, 16:07.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Lord Hill on "The World at One" - Chimera pronounced kimmera as in Kimmeridge.
                                My experience of hearing (and using) it is kye-MEE-ra

Comment

Working...
                                X