• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    How interesting. I've lived in Westminster for 20 odd years, and I think (though have never paid much attention) I say WesMINster....
    WESSminster.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

as an aside, off topic, and something I didn't realise till quite recently, the wessminster chimes is probably one of the best known pieces of music in 5/4 time.

but i expect everybody knew that.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        as an aside, off topic, and something I didn't realise till quite recently, the wessminster chimes is probably one of the best known pieces of music in 5/4 time.

I'd never thought of that!

So probably 'Whittington' is the same for 9/4? Or is that more of a 4/4+5/4? Depends how you hear it mentally, perhaps.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

Some will recall that I challenged the forum to name the best-known tune in 5/4 time some time cago but it ages until anyone got it right.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            Some will recall that I challenged the forum to name the best-known tune in 5/4 time some time cago but it ages until anyone got it right.
            that is probably where I got it, so thanks EA.

I have been spreading the word.

surprising how few pompey fans know that they are singing in 5 time !!
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

How do German speakers pronounce "Salzburg"?

Comment

• jean
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Like this (take your pick!)

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jean View Post
                  Zoitsboig?
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• jean
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

It wouldn't be my first choice.

I'm not sure why EA asked, but I have often been irritated by a tendency among RP speakers to pronounce the first syllable as something like Sawltz, presumably from a belief that a short a is just too Northern.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jean View Post
                      presumably from a belief that a short a is just too Northern.
                      I don't agree with that presumption. It surely reflects English pronunciation: salt, Baltic &c? Halt/half? If you don't know, you guess.

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

if "salz" = "salt", than a logical English RP - not an attempted German pronunciation - for "Salz - burg" might indeed be "Saultz -burg".

Moi, and most of my RP speaking acquaintance, wd howevah ectually say "Saltz - burg" with a short a. I don't know anyone who says Saultzburg.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                          if "salz" = "salt", than a logical English RP - not an attempted German pronunciation - for "Salz - burg" might indeed be "Saultz -burg".

Moi, and most of my RP speaking acquaintance, wd howevah ectually say "Saltz - burg" with a short a. I don't know anyone who says Saultzburg.
                          And of course boorg not berg ...

Comment

• Roehre

Salz is salt here, Salzburg is in the centre of a salt producing area from Roman times until the late middle ages, salt being an important and very expensive stuff (remember that Roman legionnairs quite often were paid with the stuff - hence salary).

A Northern German pronounces Salzburg something like Saultz-boorg, a Southern German, e.g. a Bavarian, or an Austrian more like Zoitsboig

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              And of course boorg not berg ...
                              Precisely,but it's the first syllable that's the issue.

Comment

• jean
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

...I don't know anyone who says Saultzburg.
                                I don't actually know anyone who does, of course, but I have overheard some.

You could argue it's just like saying Paris with an s, but I'm not convinced.

Comment

Working...
                                X