X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Having elsewhere mentioned that I am no particular fan of May, I should perhaps, especially with this being a pronunciation thread, clarify that I was referring to Theresa, not the very wonderful Gisela, of whom I remain a considerable fan.

Comment

• jean
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Which she immediately corrected, and yes, is was Vaz.
      I was just interested in the way Vaz's mistake led to her (however temporarily) making a different one.

It is the principle of the tongue-twister, isn't it? We're familiar with the confusion caused by red lorry, yellow lorry and similar if you repeat them often enough. But here, it happened even when the confusing pronunciation was inserted by another speaker.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jean View Post
        I was just interested in the way Vaz's mistake led to her (however temporarily) making a different one.

It is the principle of the tongue-twister, isn't it? We're familiar with the confusion caused by red lorry, yellow lorry and similar if you repeat them often enough. But here, it happened even when the confusing pronunciation was inserted by another speaker.
        Indeed, and as for nucular[sic]! It has become standard, even for those who know it's hopelessly wrong. How difficult is new clear pronunciation?

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

It is the principle of the tongue-twister, isn't it? We're familiar with the confusion caused by red lorry, yellow lorry and similar if you repeat them often enough.
          Being a Scot I've always given pride of place to "the Leith police dismisseth us" (not that I've ever been arrested by them, you understand)...

Comment

• Radio64
            • Jan 2014

Having elsewhere mentioned that I am no particular fan of May, I should perhaps, especially with this being a pronunciation thread, clarify that I was referring to Theresa, not the very wonderful Gisela, of whom I remain a considerable fan.
            Which of course begs the question, how do you pronounce "T(h)eresa"?

..or even "Gisela"?
            "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Anyone here know why Joseph William Alexander Sloss (later to become the spouse of Ann Elizabeth Oldfield Havers) chose to add the Butler to his surname by deed poll?
              Father's occupation? Sounds better than Patchell-Sloss or Snelling-Sloss? It's the 'tl' followed by 'sl' that creates the bit of a tongue-twister.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• jean
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

...as for nucular[sic]! It has become standard, even for those who know it's hopelessly wrong...
                It's just metathesis - like brid/bird and many similar.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                  • May 2011

It's just metathesis - like brid/bird and many similar.
                  Yes - at least one of which (thrid/third) stuck in its 'mistaken' form.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                    Yes - at least one of which (thrid/third) stuck in its 'mistaken' form.
                    Old English was 'brid' too (etym. unkn.)
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                      • May 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      Well, there you go…

Comment

• jean
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

That was my point!

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

That was my point!
                          So it was - I misattributed it to me :-). I was only looking at Pabs's post just before. Sorry.

Comment

• ardcarp
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Then there's 'The bloke's back brake block broke'.
                            (And does anyone know the one about Miss Piggy Wiggy and her punt? Maybe best forgotten anyway.)

Comment

• Honoured Guest

Anyone here know why Joseph William Alexander Sloss (later to become the spouse of Ann Elizabeth Oldfield Havers) chose to add the Butler to his surname by deed poll?
                              No, I don't know.

According to The Peerage website, the name was changed by deed poll on 3 Aug 1971, nearly thirteen years after they married.

The surnames of their three children (then aged eleven, nine and three) were similarly changed by deed poll on the same date.

I know that at least one of these children uses the surname Butler, professionally.

I'm intrigued now!!

I recommend a full public inquiry. I propose Nigel Havers as Chairman.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                                • May 2011

So it was - I misattributed it to me :-). I was only looking at Pabs's post just before. Sorry.
                                No - all my fault. I forgot about that ('forgot' is correct since it's clearly given in an Anglo-Saxon grammar that's very well thumbed).

Comment

Working...
                                X