Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

I've just been dipping into my secondhand copy of Envy of the World where it says that back in 1996 every time the BBC Pronunciation Unit was asked for guidance on a particular word they charged £8 for the service (presumably more now) - seems a bit weird when they're all working for the same company (??)

perhaps there's a discount for several words - £8 each, 5 for £30

Comment

• Pabmusic
      • May 2011

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
      Ponssay it is

During a sojourn in the wilds of western Mexico (on a wildlife project) my Castilian lisping caused some good-natured amusement.
      The Spanish were here in the Philippines for well over 300 years and Spanish has had a a strong influence on many (traditionally Malay, Polynesian and Australiasian) languages. But there's no lisping at all, even in languages like Chavacano, which is very Spanish. Ponce would be 'Ponsee'. They seem only to pronounce 'e' as 'ay' if it falls in the middle of a name (Reyes = Rayez, for instance, a common name here).

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        ... but the good folk of Pembrokeshire simply take it in their stride?

Mind you, they must be used to it by now...

Yeth indeed

Not that you lisp "s" in Spanish, unless you're Rob Cowan, who says "Granadoth"

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by mercia View Post
          I've just been dipping into my secondhand copy of Envy of the World where it says that back in 1996 every time the BBC Pronunciation Unit was asked for guidance on a particular word they charged £8 for the service (presumably more now) - seems a bit weird when they're all working for the same company (??)

I think that was BIRT - now discontinued. The service is now free to BBC staff. I've seen their advice forms - phonetic versions like 'PON-thay', 'KO-dye'. But I remember Chris de Souza (when he came to St Geo's for a recital) explaining that the PU advised Fron-seks for Jean Françaix but everyone was so used to Fron-say that that is what he was going to say

Not that you lisp "s" in Spanish, unless you're Rob Cowan, who says "Granadoth"
          Rather than Granathoss (voiced 'th' as in 'this', not as in 'thin'. Though I would prefer anyone not proficient in Spanish pronunciation to say 'Gra-NAH-doss', because the 'th' isn't like English 'th' anyway.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            I've seen their advice forms - phonetic versions like 'PON-thay', 'KO-dye'. But I remember Chris de Souza (when he came to St Geo's for a recital) explaining that the PU advised Fron-seks for Jean Françaix but everyone was so used to Fron-say that that is what he was going to say
            cf my correspondence with the BBC over another composer's name, which they confirmed should be pronounced TARRega. Unfortunately, BBC procedures did not allow for this to be brought directly to the attention of the offending presenters, instead of which I was told to "escalate" [their word] the complaint by writing directly to Roger Wright or to the outsourced complaints unit in Darlington - thus demonstrating that the BBC is still a bureaucratic behemoth in the post-Birt era...
            Rather than Granathoss (voiced 'th' as in 'this', not as in 'thin'. Though I would prefer anyone not proficient in Spanish pronunciation to say 'Gra-NAH-doss', because the 'th' isn't like English 'th' anyway.
            Quite

Comment

• mercia
              • Nov 2010

KO-dye
              is that a short O ? I don't like Coe-dye (even if its correct )

Comment

• amateur51

Blame the Checkland/Birt era

As others have noted, price of everything, value of nothing

Edit: cross-posted with french frank #769
                Last edited by Guest; 21-05-14, 09:32. Reason: cross-post

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                  Blame the Checkland/Birt era

As others have noted, price of everything, value of nothing
                  Just one example of a national, or even international, malaise. When, for instance, I worked at the TRL for a while, back in the '80s, all internal library loans were billed to the particular project/department using the material. I'm sure the cost of the administration of such internal billing systems far outweighs any perceived benefits. We used to make a point of reading any papers we needed to consult within the confines of the library room itself, rather than taking them to where we were working on the project to which they related. It tended to be more time consuming, but kept projects' budgets for other things.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

is that a short O ? I don't like Coe-dye (even if its correct )
                    Well, I made up the examples because I couldn't remember the name I was shown. I did contemplate afterwards clarifying with, sort of, KOD-dye but that looks as if there's a dd. Perhaps KO-dye (bit like 'o' as in 'hot')? Thinking about it more, as there's an accent on the 'a' (Kodály), should it be more like KO-dah-ee (bit like 'o' as in 'hot', final 'ee' v short, more like a 'y' sound as at the beginning of 'yacht')? I don't know much Hungarian. I see Wiki offers - ˈkodaːj .
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• amateur51

Well, I made up the examples because I couldn't remember the name I was shown. I did contemplate afterwards clarifying with, sort of, KOD-dye but that looks as if there's a dd. Perhaps KO-dye (bit like 'o' as in 'hot')? Thinking about it more, as there's an accent on the 'a' (Kodály), should it be more like KO-dah-ee (bit like 'o' as in 'hot', final 'ee' v short, more like a 'y' sound as at the beginning of 'yacht')? I don't know much Hungarian. I see Wiki offers - ˈkodaːj .
                      I'll ask next time I'm in the Gay Hussar restaurant.

Mind you most of the waiters are from Bangladesh

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Btw, there's a Facebook group called Society for the Promotion of Correct Pronunciation on Radio 3. It seems to be slightly more nitpicking than here (honestly!) and they don't always agree with each other . I won't post the url as the forum might lose customers :-/

Comment

• Sir Velo
                          • Oct 2012

I think an Aussie "G'day" is a fair approximation.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

:. I won't post the url as the forum might lose fcustomers :-/
                            Aw... Don't be mean.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                              Aw... Don't be mean.
                              Why did you put an f in front of customers in my quote - I don't recall having to make a correction? If you really want to know, I will tell you privately

Sir V - yes, it is a bit like G'day, as long as the 'day' bit is authentic Strine and not standard English!

Comment

• gurnemanz
                                • Nov 2010

Kodaly spoken by three natives here. Each puts the family name first - Kodály Zoltán.

Comment

Working...
                                X