Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Radio64
    • Jan 2014

I suppose it's Ok to 'anglicise' a foreign word, but Petroc made a pig's ear of it by germanising it.

I'm sure he'll get hate mail for it.
    "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
      The initial K as sh seems to be like Swedish. We know a Swedish lady called Kerstin. It comes out as "sherstin"
      A slight variant. I don't know Norwegian or Swedish, other than the [interesting ] phonological point that Kj... at the start of a Norwegian name has a sound which sort of like 'Sh' but is really a 'soft' k followed by a very short y sound, almost a 'ch' sound. I suppose in Kirsten, there's a similar diphthong produced? Kjellerup, in Denmark, seems to be pronounced Hhyelleroop.

That said, I wouldn't expect any radio presenter to attempt to pronounce every foreign name exactly as it's pronounced in the relevant language: it's important that listeners, even (dare one say?) those less familiar with the name, grasp what's being said. It will end up as something that no one understands, even the native speakers.
      Last edited by french frank; 20-05-14, 11:56. Reason: Syntax corrected
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        I'm always amazed what the Swedes make of "-berg" at the end of words - comes out as "-bay" more or less
        I remember a sports commentator asking Byawn Bawg the Swedish pronunciation of his name. Mr Bawg assumed a perfect Swedish accent (and intonation) and said what sounded like Byern [to rhyme with 'fern'] Borr-y (where the final y is very short).
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• amateur51

Is the Swedish terminal 'd' like the terminal 's' in French then?

I bet there are exceptions

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Radio64 View Post
            I suppose it's Ok to 'anglicise' a foreign word, but Petroc made a pig's ear of it by germanising it.

I'm sure he'll get hate mail for it.
            Probably not as he's far from alone in this mispronunciation.

John Culshaw write of KF in Ring Resounding:
            "When we came to know her, there were only a few things that were sure to upset her: she hated to be called Flagstadt, as if it were pronounced in German; she hated all photographers except Hans Wild, and even he had a struggle; and she hated any mention of the EMI Tristan affair."

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

Re luckless Fulham manager, Felix Magath. Not only was his team relegated, but his name always seems to get mispronounced as if he were somehow Scottish - McGatt. It should be Margat.

Comment

• Lento
                • Jan 2014

Did I hear the composer Ponce's name being pronounced in a rather unfortunately english way just before 9 on Sunday morning?

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

I've only ever heard him called Ponthay, but since he's Mexican I assume Ponssay would be possible. If that would help

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                    Re luckless Fulham manager, Felix Magath. Not only was his team relegated, but his name always seems to get mispronounced as if he were somehow Scottish - McGatt. It should be Margat.
                    Taking of football managers, another one who gets a raw deal is Carlo Ancelotti, who is more often pronounced "anjelotti" than "antshelotti". He's no angel.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      He's no angel.
                      Pron: Angelnotti ... !
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        Pron: Angelnotti ... !

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                          +1

Comment

• Roslynmuse
                            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post

That said, I wouldn't expect any radio presenter to attempt to pronounce every foreign name exactly as it's pronounced in the relevant language: it's important that listeners, even (dare one say?) those less familiar with the name, grasp what's being said. It will end up as something that no one understands, even the native speakers.
                            There is, of course, one radio presenter who can never resist the challenge of 'idiomatic' name or title pronunciation. If only she could have FF's lines, in bold, before her at the start of every broadcast (together with 'don't flirt with Sean').

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              I've only ever heard him called Ponthay, but since he's Mexican I assume Ponssay would be possible. If that would help
                              Ponssay it is

During a sojourn in the wilds of western Mexico (on a wildlife project) my Castilian lisping caused some good-natured amusement.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                                During a sojourn in the wilds of western Mexico (on a wildlife project) my Castilian lisping caused some good-natured amusement.
                                ... but the good folk of Pembrokeshire simply take it in their stride?

Mind you, they must be used to it by now...

"...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X