Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    Re Halfordos, do you say fall-con (as in fall) or fal-con (as in pal)?

And what about tooth and room - tuhth or toooooooth? ruhm or rooooom?

Is that RP or regional? I don't know.
    I say "fall-con" and "toooooooth".

I would hear something regional in fal-con and tuhth. At the same time, there is possibly a touch of ordinary Londoner in the former and you would hear them on the streets elsewhere in the South too. They are probably encompassed by RP but true RP might be between the two? Instinctively I feel that RP is about precision rather than accentuating vowels or variation but I could be wrong.

I think Halfords is different. I hear American style branding.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post

Thank you scb for the location. A further case in point - the Gillinghams. Another banana skin in East Anglia as is its way.

Saying "Doncarster", "Newcarstle", etc felt ridiculous. However, to go the whole way and attempt an authentic northern pronunciation sounded affected or mocking. The answer was to find a middle way with some words - "Doncarster" did not become "Doncasster" but "Donnncaster" with the accent on the "Don" and the "a" part very clipped. That's in my language even today.

"Newcastle" was different. They accentuate the middle syllable so much. Generally I then did the same although when south I reverted to the southern way. It is "Newcarstle" again now but once you've been there, it seems wrong. It isn't its proper name.
      In both Newcastle and Doncaster, different people pronounce them in different ways. NEWcassel - almost never, but in Gosforth and Longbenton, you will hear many saying NEWcarssle, but most Geordies will say NewCASSEL.

In Doncaster, they just call it Donny.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Good explanation of the Scottish so-called 'z', further similar examples being Culzean ('Cullane') and capercailzie (now often capercaillie).
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

If we all spoke with a Scottish accent, all woodwind players might be able to flutter tongue.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
            • Nov 2010

If we all spoke with a Bristolian accent....there would be no need for wah wahrr pedals....

....a terribly debilitating accent when it comes to pronuciation and resulting spellings....[I should know]....
            bong ching

Comment

• An_Inspector_Calls

Originally posted by JFLL View Post
              Yes, ['baŋgor] not ['baŋə].
              I don't think so. Referring to the town, you'd say Banga (emphasis on the first syllable). Talking about y bangor (the stockade around the cathedral from which its name) you'd say y bangore.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                If we all spoke with a Bristolian accent....there would be no need for wah wahrr pedals....

....a terribly debilitating accent when it comes to pronuciation and resulting spellings....[I should know]....
                Bangle

Or, how to get two whales in a car?

1) Take the right fork after Temple Meads,
                or

2) Up the Gloss Trode past Patchway, left at the M4 and cross the Severn Bridge.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                  In both Newcastle and Doncaster, different people pronounce them in different ways. NEWcassel - almost never, but in Gosforth and Longbenton, you will hear many saying NEWcarssle, but most Geordies will say NewCASSEL.

In Doncaster, they just call it Donny.
                  Yes, NewCASSEL was what I had in mind and it became my Northern pronunciation of it. It still felt very awkward but what is the answer to these things? I am aware of Donny for Doncaster as a football reference and also, during that era, Darlo for Darlington.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                    Yes, NewCASSEL was what I had in mind and it became my Northern pronunciation of it. It still felt very awkward. I am aware of Donny for Doncaster as a football reference and also, certainly during that era, Darlo for Darlington
                    The sign by the A1 read: Slow Children Crossing. Dad turned to Mum and said: "We're in Yorkshire now, dear".

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      The sign by the A1 read: Slow Children Crossing. Dad turned to Mum and said: "We're in Yorkshire now, dear".

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Oooooh! The old ones are always the best!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                          Oooooh! The old ones are always the best!
                          - But I was in the car when he said it!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

I expect it was a very new joke then.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

The sign by the A1 read: Slow Children Crossing.
                              A sign on Gloss Trode just a few weeks ago said:
                              SLOW WORKMEN
                              AHEAD
                              to which a literate Bristolian had inked in an appropriate apostrophe.
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                                A sign on Gloss Trode just a few weeks ago said:
                                SLOW WORKMEN
                                AHEAD
                                to which a literate Bristolian had inked in an appropriate apostrophe.

Then there's the "I" inserted between the two words TO LET

God and Chips

Congealed entrance

(I'm not proposing a new thread on this btw!)

Comment

Working...
                                X