• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    Maybe, but it can be very interesting.
    Yes, the general aim is not to 'correct' the pronunciation but to draw attention to 'unusual' pronunciations in particular contexts. That includes 'idiosyncratic' pronunciations by BBC announcers. Or changes in how young people speak compared with their elders - of linguistic interest not pedagogical prescription.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Bella Kemp View Post
      I am late to this party, so I'm sure someone has mentioned this before, but surely pronunciation (like words and their meanings) changes over time and according to geographical location. When I was young, posh people pronounced 'house' as 'hice.' In Glasgow they say 'hoos'. Shakespeare would have used a markedly different pronunciation to the one pedants deem as 'correct' these days. Listen to recordings of such as E.M Forster and others of his era and the pronunciation sounds peculiar to our contemporary ears. If one can readily understand a word, however it is spoken, then I can't see the problem In short, I think this entire thread is peculiar.
      Absolutely right Lennie Henry’s slight Wolverhampton accent as Othello was probably closer to Shakespeare’s (down the road in Stratford on Avon) than Olivier’s . Though arguably Paul Robeson’s or Orson Welles’s American accent would have been closer. When you hear an approximation of 16th Century English speech it’s very different. There was no RP in Shakespeare’s day - all his company would have had regional accents - some of them very broad with the sort of vowel sounds we still hear in the West Country , Midlands , Suffolk (rare now the Suffolk accent sadly a bit like South African / Australian ) and Yorkshire.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
        Absolutely right Lennie Henry’s slight Wolverhampton accent as Othello was probably closer to Shakespeare’s (down the road in Stratford on Avon) than Olivier’s . Though arguably Paul Robeson’s or Orson Welles’s American accent would have been closer. When you hear an approximation of 16th Century English speech it’s very different. There was no RP in Shakespeare’s day - all his company would have had regional accents - some of them very broad with the sort of vowel sounds we still hear in the West Country , Midlands , Suffolk (rare now the Suffolk accent sadly a bit like South African / Australian ) and Yorkshire.
        The point about this, as wih regional accents, is that they are generally uniform in any one individual's speech. I do recall the goalkeeper Bert Trautmann speaking with a German-Mancunian accent but that in itself wouldn't be thought a feature for correction. Though I would see no harm in commenting on it since it's no sort of criticism.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
          I vaguely remember a discussion years ago about RP when teaching English in Germany. Some elder Germans still spoke English with the RP accent which they had been taught in the 1930s.

If "man" is pronounced "men", how, someone asked, is the plural "men" pronounced? The answer was "min".
          This pronunciation still seems the norm among German speakers: I was recently thrown by being given an email address in which '@' was prononced 'et'.

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

When it comes to sung pronunciation is there not the added element of vowels being altered to avoid distortion to the sound, and also style convention in for instance sung French?
            A recent close listen to a German recording of JSB BWV4 in preparation for a concert made me wonder about techniques used in other languages, presumably for the same purpose, as "der" and "den" were clearly pronounced as "deer" and "deen". Not just a quirk of that recording I think either, as a choir friend had noticed it on a different recording, also German I believe.

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
              When it comes to sung pronunciation is there not the added element of vowels being altered to avoid distortion to the sound, and also style convention in for instance sung French?
              A recent close listen to a German recording of JSB BWV4 in preparation for a concert made me wonder about techniques used in other languages, presumably for the same purpose, as "der" and "den" were clearly pronounced as "deer" and "deen". Not just a quirk of that recording I think either, as a choir friend had noticed it on a different recording, also German I believe.
              There is a helpful spelling rule in German by which, with very few exceptions, a vowel is long before a single consonant, as in 'den', and short before a double consonant, as in 'denn', meaning 'for' or 'because'. eg Denn alles Fleisch, es ist wie Gras.

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

There is a helpful spelling rule in German by which, with very few exceptions, a vowel is long before a single consonant, as in 'den', and short before a double consonant, as in 'denn', meaning 'for' or 'because'. eg Denn alles Fleisch, es ist wie Gras.
                Yes I know how it is spoken, I was wondering about sung and whether, as in English, sung vowels are sometimes pronounced differently. If so are there common conventions or is it down to preference.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

I heard Matthew Syed earlier on Radio 4 refer to 'Amazon', stressed on the last syllable. Surely the standard British pronunciation is 'Aməzən', with unstressed vowels reducing to ə. I find this Americanisation slightly irritating. Likewise, 'marathon', as in a particularly tiresome current TV ad. Standard British would be 'marəthən'.

The same thing is happening with 'hurricane', whose last syllable is for me unstressed - 'hurricən', not Harry Kane.

Comment

• Bert Coules
                    • Nov 2010

Quite right. Amazoneian but never Amazon. I've somehow missed the marathon ad and I don't believe I've ever encountered hurrikane.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                      Host
                      • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Bert Coules View Post
                      Quite right. Amazoneian but never Amazon. I've somehow missed the marathon ad and I don't believe I've ever encountered hurrikane.

The nearest might be Lear's "You cataracts and hurricanoes, spout" (although they'd probably pronounce it "hurry canoes")

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                        • Jan 2011

Likewise, 'marathon', as in a particularly tiresome current TV ad. Standard British would be 'marəthən'.
                        You must be watching catch up TV from the last century...

Marathon has been Snickers for years!

Comment

• Padraig
                          • Feb 2013

Interesting, gurnemanz. You may find it interesting that there is a similar 'rule' in Irish pronunciation regarding the letters v and w, which do not occur in written Irish. If you take the verb 'to be'(Ta), as an example the rule is quite clear: Ta, is the infinitive; an bhfuil, is present interrogative, and is pronounced 'an will', because 'u' is a broad vowel; bhi, is past tense, and is pronounced vee, because 'i' is a slender vowel.
                          Please note, vinteuil, that Siobhan seems to 'break the rule' as w and v are both allowed -Shuwawn and Shivawn.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Standard British would be 'marəthən'.
                            If Reform ever got into government they'd being back the far more British Yorkie Bar, for sure.

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

If Reform ever got into government they'd being back the far more British Yorkie Bar, for sure.
                              the Yorkie Bar, made by -

Nestlé S.A. a Swiss multinational food and drink processing conglomerate corporation headquartered in Vevey, Switzerland.
                              (not vevey british... )

Who was writing about the dictatorship of multinationals? ...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

the Yorkie Bar, made by -

Nestlé S.A. a Swiss multinational food and drink processing conglomerate corporation headquartered in Vevey, Switzerland.
                                (not vevey british... )

Who was writing about the dictatorship of multinationals? ...

Meeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

I was being ironic on specifics, of course!

Comment

Working...
                                X