• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Did he go on to say, "We call it a Bombay Duck if we're bowled out on the first ball"?
    Well, that's a "Golden Duck"....and a "King Pair" if it happens in both innings of a Test...

"Bombay Duck" is of course a fish dish , so I can't go anywhere near it....

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Since we have drifted a little from the tread topic, can I take it further by mentioning that the sainted Deliah Smith onde included Bombay Duck in a supposedly vegetarian recipe in Radio Times?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Auferstehen View Post
        Probably a Palace fan then.

Mario
        I nearly got into a lot of trouble mentioning being a Chelsea supporter on moving here!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          Since we have drifted a little from the tread topic, can I take it further by mentioning that the sainted Deliah Smith onde included Bombay Duck in a supposedly vegetarian recipe in Radio Times?
          And a right martinet she could be!

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            Perhaps it was a wartime version when vegetables plus flavouring seems to have stood in for a multitude of things...

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Far, far more recent than that. I'd say it was all a bit fishy but . . .

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                There used to be (and for all I know still is) a thing called a 'Mag-yar sleeve'. I heard the phrase and although I've never been a knitter I did understand that it meant a kind of sloping seam at the shoulder of a pullover. The main point - I would say - is that listeners understand what is being referred to, which they might not in the case of Mawdjar.

Come to think of it, they might not understand Mag-yar either …
                That sounds more like a raglan sleeve. Sewn Magyar sleeves are ones which are cut all in one with the bodice - so very quick to make. Babies knitted cardis used to have a variation on that shape called the dolman sleeve, useful for going over the dresses that all wore back in the day, which could be knitted all in one piece, again quick to do.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                  That sounds more like a raglan sleeve. Sewn Magyar sleeves are ones which are cut all in one with the bodice - so very quick to make. Babies knitted cardis used to have a variation on that shape called the dolman sleeve, useful for going over the dresses that all wore back in the day, which could be knitted all in one piece, again quick to do.
                  I bow, humiliated, to your superior knowledge At least you confirm that there was such a thing as a Magyar sleeve, even if I didn't understand what it was. Was it called a Mawdjar sleeve though?
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    I bow, humiliated, to your superior knowledge At least you confirm that there was such a thing as a Magyar sleeve, even if I didn't understand what it was. Was it called a Mawdjar sleeve though?
                    A trifle excessive ff and makes me uncomfortable! It was pronounced as 2 syllables, as writ so to speak, and as far as I know remains so today. In crafting circles correct pronunciation isn't always a priority, and the American versions thereof can be interesting ; a colour for fabric, paint etc I know as khaki with long a long "a" is "kakky" across the pond, and I don't think it's an opinion...

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

A trifle excessive ff and makes me uncomfortable!
                      Well, I was posing as an expert on knitting patterns but have now been unveiled as a fraud. However, I did have Mag-yar Kir Posta stamps in my collection when I was little, and that's how I pronounced it.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

a colour for fabric, paint etc I know as khaki with long a long "a" is "kakky" across the pond, and I don't think it's an opinion...

Wordsmiths demonstrate a knack,
                        When dealing in words, including "cack".

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

Petroc threw himself into the challenge posed by the last item on Breakfast today - a piece by Dutch composer Gertrude van den Bergh, played by Frans van Ruth. His throat is now clear of phlegm...

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Petroc threw himself into the challenge posed by the last item on Breakfast today - a piece by Dutch composer Gertrude van den Bergh, played by Frans van Ruth. His throat is now clear of phlegm...
                            I thought he was a Cornishman, rather than from Norfolk.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

In today's BaL of Carnival of the Animals, the otherwise good reviewer pronounced "cuckoo! as "Kikiw". The laziness of English pronunciation of the "u" sound is reaching new extremes. The first syllable of the word should surely be pronounced as U in German; the second should be pronounced as U in Spanish or Italian.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

I may have mentioned this before.

The following passage occurs in Part 1 of Elgar's The Apostles:

The words are 'The Dawn reacheth even unto Hebron'.

In Boult's recording, Hebron is pronounced 'Heebron' as it was in two live performances in the 1970s. However, the town in Israel came into the news frequently, and was pronounced with a short E by the BBC. In the later Hickox and Elder performances, the chorus follows the BBC pronunciation (Hair-bron when drawn out). So I checked the Israeli pronunciation, which suggests that Boult was correct.

But if anyone knows better...

Comment

Working...
                                X