X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
    Maybe influenced by American pronunciation, especially southern states. Eg a wine enthusiast from Alabama: "Ah lahk fahn wahn".
    Agreed - and that is where, I believe, the rock/pop pronunciation comes from. I've also observed it in the pronunciation of some Afro-Carribean-heritage Brits.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Has anyone noticed that Priti Patel, our Home Secretary, turns every final '-ing' into '-in'?
      NEVER says -ing, always -in.
      AAAAARRGGHH!
      Last edited by DracoM; 05-04-21, 11:45.

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Yes...big discussion in our family. (We can't stand the woman, her dropped g's being only part of the reason.)

It's an interesting phenomenon. Ready for a spiel?

It's really snobby to look down on g-droppers. Mind you, some non-RP speakers do the opposite and over-accentuate the 'g', for instance the denizens of Birmingham, as in "Oim going swimming".

My sister who lives in Norway and is bi-lingual, points out that final cosonants are often silent, as in the word 'og' (meaning 'and') and 'dag bladet' (the daily newspaper).

In fact, when you think about it, well-spoken RP people do not accentuate a final 'g', in fact they hardly pronounce it at all.

Try out of the word 'thinking' as enunciated by (a) Ms Patel and (b) Mr/Ms RP speaker.

(a) pronounces the final vowel-sound 'i' by placing the front of her tongue just behind her teeth, which doesn't assist production of a 'g'.

(b) pronounces the final vowel-sound 'i' by placing the back of the tongue at the rear of the palate. There is still very little g-sound.

Try it! It's not really the 'g' but the vowel before it which is different.

To hear a resounding final 'g', just take a trip up to Brum.

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

... an' yer real toff may indulge in huntin', shootin', and fishin' - and yet be a million miles from Priti Patel and her minglin

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
            Yes...big discussion in our family. (We can't stand the woman, her dropped g's being only part of the reason.)

It's an interesting phenomenon. Ready for a spiel?

It's really snobby to look down on g-droppers. Mind you, some non-RP speakers do the opposite and over-accentuate the 'g', for instance the denizens of Birmingham, as in "Oim going swimming".

My sister who lives in Norway and is bi-lingual, points out that final cosonants are often silent, as in the word 'og' (meaning 'and') and 'dag bladet' (the daily newspaper).

In fact, when you think about it, well-spoken RP people do not accentuate a final 'g', in fact they hardly pronounce it at all.

Try out of the word 'thinking' as enunciated by (a) Ms Patel and (b) Mr/Ms RP speaker.

(a) pronounces the final vowel-sound 'i' by placing the front of her tongue just behind her teeth, which doesn't assist production of a 'g'.

(b) pronounces the final vowel-sound 'i' by placing the back of the tongue at the rear of the palate. There is still very little g-sound.

Try it! It's not really the 'g' but the vowel before it which is different.

To hear a resounding final 'g', just take a trip up to Brum.
            Or Derbyshire, . . . WIth "singing", both "g"s are sounded, the first being well hard.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
              On the other hand, who is most likely to go huntin', shootin' and fishin' - usually spelt that way to denote the h'upper class. In standard pronunciation the final g is swallowed up to combine with the preceding nasal, thus /kɪŋ/ for king, not kingg. Same happens with think - /θɪŋk/

Blast! trust monsieur v to get in first!
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

The answer is Blowin’ in the Wind.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                  • Nov 2010

some non-RP speakers do the opposite and over-accentuate the 'g', for instance the denizens of Birmingham, as in "Oim going swimming". (ardy)
                  In Liverpool too, I beiieve

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Dvorak - one which over the years has varied. My preference has always been for a silent ‘D’ and a french sounding ‘j’ ie ‘vawjacques’ but increasingly the ‘D’ has been pronounced more sounding like d-vawjacques with the ‘d’ and ‘v’ slid together (Georgia this morning and Lizzie less subtly slid on Saturday morning). Any views out there?

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                      Dvorak - one which over the years has varied. My preference has always been for a silent ‘D’ and a french sounding ‘j’ ie ‘vawjacques’ but increasingly the ‘D’ has been pronounced more sounding like d-vawjacques with the ‘d’ and ‘v’ slid together (Georgia this morning and Lizzie less subtly slid on Saturday morning). Any views out there?
                      I think this is a pretty good exposition of the problem:

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

Fine, Bryn, I’ll stick with mine it’s near enough, and better than many I hear!

Comment

• muzzer
                          • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

Cheers (having a shot to hand appears to assist)

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            Fine, Bryn, I’ll stick with mine it’s near enough, and better than many I hear!
                            What 'mouth organ' players call the 'Close Enough Style'. Though I'm not sure why anyone would imagine the initial D was silent … Given the different phonetic systems of English and Czech, the dropping of the D is one thing I would rate, with the stressing the final á, as "wrong".
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              What 'mouth organ' players call the 'Close Enough Style'. Though I'm not sure why anyone would imagine the initial D was silent … Given the different phonetic systems of English and Czech, the dropping of the D is one thing I would rate, with the stressing the final á, as "wrong".
                              Then I’ve had a lifetime of being wrong about many things - still here and enjoying his symphonies! - and many other compositions.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
                                Cheers (having a shot to hand appears to assist)
                                Looks like Becherovka. We had a bottle once. A digestif tasting a bit like Jägermeister. Pleasant enough but not entirely to my taste. We had a large bottle once which took years to use up.

I couldn't get my tongue round that ř sound as described. Like most people I use the more accessible Jacques sound, as mentioned above. Having been a language teacher I was curious and sitting here with nothing better to do on chilly Bank Holiday I investigated. 16 min explication here. Clearly, much practice needed to achieve authenticity. I shall stick to Jacques.

Comment

Working...
                                X