X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    "Efficacy". A quick Internet search suggests that both British and American English pronunciation put the stress on the first syllable. However, one frequently hears medical professionals put the stress on the second syllable. What is the origin and rationale of this variant?
    " ... a stressed syllable followed by three unstressed ones is very unpopular except with professors & the like if there is an alternative handy... "

[ A Dictionary of Modern English Usage, HW Fowler 1927 , entry concerning contumely ]

cf COMmunal, COMparable, CONtroversy, COMbatant, CONtumely .

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      " ... a stressed syllable followed by three unstressed ones is very unpopular except with professors & the like if there is an alternative handy... "

[ A Dictionary of Modern English Usage, HW Fowler 1927 , entry concerning contumely ]

cf COMmunal, COMparable, CONtroversy, COMbatant, CONtumely .
      Would not it be more likely that the stress on the first syllable of "efficacy" helps clearly differentiate it from "efficiency"?

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

Americans often stress the first syllable when we don't: address, translate, enquiry, resource, princess, Baghdad etc etc - not sure why.

I thought contumely was a word Shakespeare made up.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
          Americans often stress the first syllable when we don't: address, translate, enquiry, resource, princess, Baghdad etc etc - not sure why.

I thought contumely was a word Shakespeare made up.
          "insolent, offensive, abusive speech," late 14c., from Old French contumelie, from Latin… See origin and meaning of contumely.

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            If the origin is such, I hope the false link in meaning is not carried over with the pronunciation. To confound efficacy with efficiency would be a major error.
            Maybe we all need a dose of Lily the Pink's medicinal compound to help us distinguish between these two words: it's efficacious in every case, I understand!

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
              Maybe we all need a dose of Lily the Pink's medicinal compound to help us distinguish between these two words: it's efficacious in every case, I understand!
              'cept it was "The Ballad of Lydia Pinkham" until led to the Scaffold.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

Thanks. I should have checked. The word never really caught on and declining (Google Ngram). Maybe we should start a revival. According to David Crystal's Shakespeare's Words its appearance in Hamlet's soliloquy is the bard's only use, whereas the adjective "contumelious" is used twice (Henry VI Pt 1, and Timon of Athens.)

Comment

• kernelbogey
                  • Nov 2010

I was noticing how BBC weather forecasters tend to pronounce 'mild' and 'milder' more like mahld than m-eye-ld.

There's a parallel with how 'my' and 'I' are pronounced in rock and pop music - mah love, 'Ah love you' etc. Some British singers (e.g. Dido) who sing with mostly an English accent will prononounce 'my' and 'I' in this way.

So I'm curious if this is a trend in pronunicaton of the i and y sounds.

(Note to self: learn International Phonetic Alphabet)

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                    I was noticing how BBC weather forecasters tend to pronounce 'mild' and 'milder' more like mahld than m-eye-ld.

There's a parallel with how 'my' and 'I' are pronounced in rock and pop music - mah love, 'Ah love you' etc. Some British singers (e.g. Dido) who sing with mostly an English accent will prononounce 'my' and 'I' in this way.

OED pronunciation: Brit. /mʌɪld/ U.S. /maɪld/
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      OED pronunciation: Brit. /mʌɪld/ U.S. /maɪld/
                      HMQ pronunciation : /meɪld/

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

HMQ pronunciation : /meɪld/
                        The late, Canadian-born trumpeter Kenny Wheeler (0ne of that land's best exports to this country) named one of his compositions "Miold Man" - he's obviously been living in Leytonstone for quite a number of years!

Comment

• gurnemanz
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post

Maybe influenced by American pronunciation, especially southern states. Eg a wine enthusiast from Alabama: "Ah lahk fahn wahn".

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                            Maybe influenced by American pronunciation, especially southern states. Eg a wine enthusiast from Alabama: "Ah lahk fahn wahn".
                            ... cf HMQ : "ay layk fayn wayn"

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

... cf HMQ : "ay layk fayn wayn"

She's right: Wayne Shorter is a very great jazz musician.

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                                She's right: Wayne Shorter is a very great jazz musician.
                                ... but Wayne Sleep is Shorter

Comment

Working...
                                X