X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    This one sort-of does - closer to that than "milat'ry", at any rate. (One doesn't say "necessARRY", but the emphasis alters when the "-ily" is added.)

Thanks for transferring the last few posts to this thread, ferney; I'd forgotten it actually existed!

Comment

• Andy Freude

In Oxford our preference is for ˈmɪlᵻt(ə)rᵻli with ˌmɪlᵻˈtɛrᵻli a perfectly acceptable alternative, similar to American, though not identical.

https://www.oed.com/view/Entry/11842...militarily#eid (probably subscription only).

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Andy Freude View Post
        In Oxford our preference is for ˈmɪlᵻt(ə)rᵻli with ˌmɪlᵻˈtɛrᵻli a perfectly acceptable alternative, similar to American, though not identical.

https://www.oed.com/view/Entry/11842...militarily#eid (probably subscription only).
        ... I see that my 1933 OED only admits an accent on the first syllabub.

But as Fowler sagely notes in his Modern English Usage [1927 edn, article 'contumely'] - "a stressed syllable followed by three unstressed ones is very unpopular except with professors & the like if there is an alternative handy... "

On this subject, his article in the same book on 'Recessive Accent' repays the reading...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          ... I see that my 1933 OED only admits an accent on the first syllabub.

But as Fowler sagely notes in his Modern English Usage [1927 edn, article 'contumely'] - "a stressed syllable followed by three unstressed ones is very unpopular except with professors & the like if there is an alternative handy... "

On this subject, his article in the same book 'Recessive Accent' repays the reading...

We had a similar one this lunchtime on the BBC News: comPARAble

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            We had a similar one this lunchtime on the BBC News: comPARAble
            ... and our old friend, controversy.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              OK - strange though: one doesn't say MiliTERRY!
              Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              This one sort-of does - closer to that than "milat'ry", at any rate.
              No - of course that's not how I say it: the emphasis is on the first syllable, but with a secondary stress on the third (MIliterry) - never missing out a sound for the "a".
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• gradus
                • Nov 2010

Could one of our fluent frenchies please phonetically spell Bouillabaisse. Rick Stein made, to my ears, a gruesome attempt at saying the word on his current (and excellent) BBC tv series.

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

... wiki provides : "French pronunciation: ​[bu.ja.bɛːs]; Occitan: [ˌbuʎaˈβajsɔ / ˌbujaˈbajsɔ]"

Rick Stein's French pronunciation throughout has been excruciating - he did apologize for it half way through.

I have to say I have found this series to be pretty sloppy - and his own cooking rough and ready, many times not at all doing the precise French things he has been so praising. And why is he spending so much time with non-French people - the Dutch ballet dancer host in Burgundy, the irritating English woman in Perigord??

But it is always lovely to see the pretty piccies of the French countryside, even when it is very much playing up to the cliches of 'France for the English'.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

... wiki provides : "French pronunciation: ​[bu.ja.bɛːs]; Occitan: [ˌbuʎaˈβajsɔ / ˌbujaˈbajsɔ]"

Rick Stein's French pronunciation throughout has been excruciating - he did apologize for it half way through.

I have to say I have found this series to be pretty sloppy - and his own cooking rough and ready, many times not at all doing the precise French things he has been so praising. And why is he spending so much time with non-French people - the Dutch ballet dancer host in Burgundy, the irritating English woman in Perigord??

But it is always lovely to see the pretty piccies of the French countryside, even when it is very much playing up to the cliches of 'France for the English'.

What about the traditional French quiet sounding of the final "e"?

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      What about the traditional French quiet sounding of the final "e"?
                      ... sometimes more 'pronounced' than others -

How to Pronounce Bouillabaisse correctly with How to Pronounce free tutorials. Bouillabaisse Pronunciation , how to say Bouillabaisse , pronounce Bouillaba...

The further south the more pronounced.

Last edited by vinteuil; 05-12-19, 17:45.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

If we've had this one before, I apologise; but why, does anyone know, is the Z at the end of Boulez's name, pronounced, contrary to what one would expect in the French language? VouleZ-vous m'expliquer, silver plate?

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

... whereas most of the time French pronunciation is more consistent than English, French proper names often go their own way, and you just have to find out on a case by case basis. Proust enjoys showing how this can be a class-marker - you have to be 'in the know' to be sure whether the final s is pronounced in Uzès - yes for the place, not for the family. And it changes over time - earlier members of the de Gas family pronounced the final s, Edgar degas did not.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

... whereas most of the time French pronunciation is more consistent than English, French proper names often go their own way, and you just have to find out on a case by case basis. Proust enjoys showing how this can be a class-marker - you have to be 'in the know' to be sure whether the final s is pronounced in Uzès - yes for the place, not for the family. And it changes over time - earlier members of the de Gas family pronounced the final s, Edgar degas did not.

Interesting!

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

My favourite is Françaix, which the man himself pronounced close to the English 'Fronsex' but other mwmbers of his family opting for 'Fronsay'.
                              Last edited by Bryn; 05-12-19, 20:00. Reason: Typo

Comment

• Andy Freude

As for Marc-André Hamelin, he may be French Canadian, but obviously came from a town in Brunswick, near famous Hanover City; the river Weser, deep and wide, washes its wall on the southern side; a prettier spot you never spied.

See Mr. Hamelin at 92Y on Jan 30, 2013, for a concert BBC Magazine named one of the "very best concerts" in North America happening this month! http://www.92...

Comment

Working...
                                X