• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jean View Post
    The online OED gives the pronunciation 'dis-sect' and says nothing about any alternative, whether current or obsolete!
    Exactly.

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Under dissect, OED says:

a. spec. To cut up (an animal body, a plant, etc.) for the purpose of displaying the position, structure, and relations of the various internal parts; to anatomize.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Under dissect, OED says:
        a. spec. To cut up (an animal body, a plant, etc.) for the purpose of displaying the position, structure, and relations of the various internal parts; to anatomize.
        OK, so don't let's get too cut up about it...

Comment

• Word
          • Jan 2011

In what is probably two steps back, the Cambridge Dictionary lists both pronunciations and their recorded examples would suggest that the longer 'i' is preferred in English, as it was during my schooldays when we were tasked with troubling a frog, and the shorter one more common on the other side of the pond .

Comment

• jean
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Exactly.
            I see -it's the word disect that's obsolete, rather than any particular pronunciation of dissect.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

I see -it's the word disect that's obsolete, rather than any particular pronunciation of dissect.
              Yes, that's what I meant. I was surprised at that. I didn't think anyone would pronounce dissect as dy-sect, so, like me, I presume they thought there were two separate words? (Which there were once)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Aah - lux facta est!
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                  Aah - lux facta est!
                  Let soap so.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

Yes, that's what I meant. I was surprised at that. I didn't think anyone would pronounce dissect as dy-sect, so, like me, I presume they thought there were two separate words? (Which there were once)
                    Oops, then!
                    I think I've always said DIE--SECT.
                    Also DIE--SECTION.
                    Not sure what, if anything, that says about me.
                    Grew up in Liverpool (well, Crosby, so we thought we were posh), so I'm interested to see what jean thinks.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      Let soap so.
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• jean
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                        Grew up in Liverpool (well, Crosby, so we thought we were posh), so I'm interested to see what jean thinks.
                        Anfield didn't even pretend to be posh, but school in the city centre was fairly neutral in class terms.

That's the only place where I've ever dissected anything, and I think we said diss-, but I only did it for Biology O level, so I really can't remember.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

While on the subject of the Die or Di pronunciation, on tonight's Planet Earth II, David Attenborough - of all people! - pronounced direct with the short i, dirrect, not die-rect, which, for a man of his education, I would not have anticipated.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Anfield didn't even pretend to be posh, but school in the city centre was fairly neutral in class terms.

That's the only place where I've ever dissected anything, and I think we said diss-, but I only did it for Biology O level, so I really can't remember.
                            In my time at MTS Crosby, Biology was not taught at O level, only at A level (which always surprised me, not that I wanted to study it!), so I've never had a lesson in dissection. I chopped worms in two to see what happened, though.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              While on the subject of the Die or Di pronunciation, on tonight's Planet Earth II, David Attenborough - of all people! - pronounced direct with the short i, dirrect, not die-rect, which, for a man of his education, I would not have anticipated.
                              I would say dirr-ect if uttering a sentence like, 'Could you direct me to the town library, please?'. But I think this happens because of the characteristic stress in English. A stressed vowel gets its full value, an unstressed vowel (as in di-RECT) ends up as a sort of undifferentiated schwa.

Comment

• jean
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                                In my time at MTS Crosby...
                                Ah, Merchant Taylors...very posh.

This morning I asked OH who actually went to boarding school herself, but whose nephews went to MTS, about the disputed pronunciation. She would have no truck at all with diss-. I don't know what that tells us.

... Biology was not taught at O level, only at A level (which always surprised me, not that I wanted to study it!)
                                At Blackburne House it existed so that girls who weren't scientifically inclined would have the necessary Science among their O levels.

It wasn't very scientific in those days I think. I liked it because I could draw the insides of the rats I'd pulled apart (I can smell the formaldehyde now!)

Comment

Working...
                                X