Pronunciation watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikerotheatrenestr0y

I'm quite fond of Vincent van Go - no, Vincent van Gock - no, Vincent van Goch - no, Vincent van Hoch. Van Hoch? Who he?

Pronunciation problems? Where there's a Will there's a way: "For who would suffer... The proud man's COntumely..."

I'll tell you why we resist metric: because we usually get less! Most bottles and cans of beer are now 500ml - but the price has not been reduced by a similar amount! With distance, too, we get less; any fool can run 1500 metres in under 4 minutes, but it takes an Englishman to run a mile in the time! With weight, of course, metric gives an advantage - I convert my own weight into pounds at the rate of 2:1 instead of 2.2:1, so I can feel better about it [of course, I then convert it into stones and pounds!]

And finally: why does anyone ever talk about mpg? We buy the stuff in litres; the odometer registers in miles [my Saxo neatly does 10 miles to a litre].

And finally finally: if we'd been etymologically consistent there would never have been such a misbegotten Mischling as television! [I mean the name, of course - telescope already having been taken... and the tele bit MUST be to do with distance and not purpose, goodness knows!]
    Last edited by Guest; 22-02-11, 10:45. Reason: stupidity

Comment

• amateur51

It's Llandudno that gets me every time - Clan-dud-no or Thlan-dud-no!

'Llandudno' innit!

Fortunately they never try Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantisilio gogogoch

Even though help IS available:

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Llan did know, but he kept forgetting what a Welsh ewe sounded like. Baaahh.
        Last edited by Bryn; 11-02-11, 22:31. Reason: Typos

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          It's Llandudno that gets me every time - Clan-dud-no or Thlan-dud-no!

'Llandudno' innit!
          The "u" vowel in Welsh is pronounced like "i" in English. To pronounce the LL, place your tongue behind your upper teeth (as you would when voicing a single L) and blow. You see? It's not that difficult.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Not so much dodgy pronunciation as utterly appalling grammar (and giving opera a bad reputation):

"Go compare".

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

>>place your tongue behind your upper teeth and blow.

Eine, are you a Lauren Bacall fan, by any chance ?

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                utterly appalling grammar ...
                "Go compare".
                But "Go, compare!" is perfectly grammatical - is it the missing comma that offends?

Of course the advertisement is awful in many other ways - but (as advertising agencies well know) its very awfulness can make it memorable - talked about - lodge in people's minds. The very fact that we are worriting about it here demonstrates that (to that extent) they have succeeded!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  But "Go, compare!" is perfectly grammatical - is it the missing comma that offends?
                  No; it isn't grammatical even with a comma. It may be with a semicolon, full stop or exclamation mark. Better still - with a linking word between the two.

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  The very fact that we are worriting about it here demonstrates that (to that extent) they have succeeded!
                  Would you really want to "buy" their product? I certainly wouldn't.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                    • Nov 2010

Yesterday on University Challenge Jeremy Paxman gave us both 'DAYga' and 'Showpang'. Nobody challenged him.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
                      Yesterday on University Challenge Jeremy Paxman gave us both 'DAYga' and 'Showpang'. Nobody challenged him.
                      I did, Mary; not on this thread, but here.
                      Last edited by Bryn; 22-02-11, 15:41. Reason: update.

Comment

• PatrickOD

Re 'Go compare' and grammar. Can you take a joke? (Well, I thought it was funny at the time)

Once when I was late for a class, I rambled on to the lay lecturer with an excuse that did not meet with his satisfaction. He decided to send me to the President, which was the ultimate sanction in this Diosescan college. With an eye to the rest of the class waiting for his verdict, he cut off my feeble protestations with the words
                        'Go show yourself to the priest.'

Perfectly grammatical in my opinion; it's in the Bible. Comma optional.

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Perfectly grammatical
                          of course it is. "Ite, Missa est."

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
                            There was also a "SHOE-m'n" for Schumann from Paxo on UC....
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by PatrickOD View Post
                              'Go show yourself to the priest.'
                              Perfectly grammatical in my opinion; it's in the Bible. Comma optional.
                              An intransitive verb, followed directly by a transitive verb can hardly be grammatical. It's sloppy; there's no other way to describe it. The advert may well be amusing, but the English is still shoddy.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                                Not so much dodgy pronunciation as utterly appalling grammar (and giving opera a bad reputation):

"Go compare".
                                And 'Go figure'? All right with a comma?
                                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                                X