X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    Mis-CHEE-vious is apparently more common nowadays than the, er, 'correct' pronunciation.
    This mispronunciation has irritated me for some time.

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
    I imagine the confusion could be based on kind of false analogy with the pronunciation of montbretia
    I had the idea in the middle of the night (as you do) that mischievious might be a kind of back-formation via previous. Gurners' 'false anaology' is a better term, however.

Comment

• jean
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

I'm quite sure the pronunciation misCHEEvious came about by analogy with words like previous and devious.

I'm equally sure that the pronunciation aubretia owes its existence to the fact that

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      The -ia ending is very common when the plant is named after a person: Poinsett-poinsettia, Lobel-lobelia, Gloxin-gloxinia, Abel-abelia.
      That's why I brought it into this discussion!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

I’m confused. I’ve always said and heard miss-ch'vous not mischeevious - this is a new one on me. Which is correct for a British man to say?

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
          I'm quite sure the pronunciation misCHEEvious came about by analogy with words like previous and devious.

I'm equally sure that the pronunciation aubretia owes its existence to the fact that

That's why I brought it into this discussion!
          Apologies if I've overlooked an earlier statement by you which my n1291 then reproduced....

I've just looked up in OED another bugbear of mine: empathetic, which I've always taken as in error for empathic. But I find both of almost equal age, 1909 - 1912; and if I understand the OED entry correctly, both translations of the German.

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
            I’m confused. I’ve always said and heard miss-ch'vous not mischeevious - this is a new one on me. Which is correct for a British man to say?
            I've always said it the same way as have you, i.e. the way that's suggested by its spelling; accenting the second syllable and amending the pronunciation implies that the word derives from "mischeev", which it doesn't. I would therefore suggest that the correct way is the way that you and I pronounce it, although I don't see why such pronunciation should be confined to British males.

Comment

• jean
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
              Apologies if I've overlooked an earlier statement by you which my n1291 then reproduced....
              It was here. The apparent non sequitur hid the connexion I wwas hoping my readers would make:

I have the impression that this (mis)pronunciation was more common when I was a child, but perhaps it's just that the word was more common then.

As to its origins...how do people here pronounce aubrieta?
              Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
              I've just looked up in OED another bugbear of mine: empathetic, which I've always taken as in error for empathic. But I find both of almost equal age, 1909 - 1912; and if I understand the OED entry correctly, both translations of the German.
              ...which are themselves derived from Greek εμπαθής, which doesn't have an ending that's obviously adjectival in either English or German, so either ending seems a reasonable choice.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                • Nov 2010

It was here. The apparent non sequitur hid the connexion I wwas hoping my readers would make:....
                I go a bit glassy-eyed around plant names, I'm afraid.

I have sadly no Greek - beyond 'kalimera' etc - but I get your point - thanks.

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

...which are themselves derived from Greek εμπαθής, which doesn't have an ending that's obviously adjectival in either English or German, so either ending seems a reasonable choice.
                  ... and of course 'pathic' and 'pathetic' have rather different meanings.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                    ... and of course 'pathic' and 'pathetic' have rather different meanings.
                    Although OED makes empathic and empathetic exact equivalents.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                      I've always said it the same way as have you, i.e. the way that's suggested by its spelling; accenting the second syllable and amending the pronunciation implies that the word derives from "mischeev", which it doesn't. I would therefore suggest that the correct way is the way that you and I pronounce it, although I don't see why such pronunciation should be confined to British males.
                      Hmm. You and I seem to be in a minority. Maybe I will move over to the contemporary pronunciation.

Comment

• Padraig
                        • Feb 2013

[QUOTE=Beef Oven!;589459]Hmm. You and I seem to be in a minority.

A grevious position these days.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                          • Oct 2012

It was here. The apparent non sequitur hid the connexion I wwas hoping my readers would make:
                          Oh, do you write for one of the papers?

Comment

• jean
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                            Hmm. You and I seem to be in a minority. Maybe I will move over to the contemporary pronunciation.
                            I am not sure it is 'contemporary' - as I said above, I heard it a lot more in my childhood than I ever do now (but that could be because the word itself is less common).

Comment

• jean
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                              A grevious position these days.
                              I didn't think I'd ever heard that, but it says here:

grevious
                              adjective
                              Common misspelling of grievous.

Comment

• Padraig
                                • Feb 2013

I didn't think I'd ever heard that, but it says here:

grevious
                                adjective
                                Common misspelling of grievous.
                                I've never seen that, jean, but I hear it all the time on the BBC local news when violence against the person is being reported.

Comment

Working...
                                X