X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Well at least he did not confuse it with Higgs.
    Nor was he arrogantly bosun about it.

Comment

• Bert Coules
      • Nov 2010

Thanks for the replies. So I wasn't hallucinating (or the aural equivalent) then?

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Have now heard the trailer several times for a prog about HH Munro aka Saki in which the trailer-er says "mischeevious" . Do producers not have ears?

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
          Have now heard the trailer several times for a prog about HH Munro aka Saki in which the trailer-er says "mischeevious" . Do producers not have ears?
          My heart sank when I saw your name on the What's New? list. I thought to mesel', Oh, not again! Not still? Not after all your effort.

Mis-CHEE-vious is apparently more common nowadays than the, er, 'correct' pronunciation.
          (I can't find that hilarious BBC video that had two young guys disagreeing on every point. Including Haitch v Aitch)
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

I've heard this several times as well and am surprised by it. I'm sure that I have on many occasions committed acts of mischief but never, as far as I can recall, any mischeev, not even at or near Junction 13 of the M4. It's not unakin to those composer comparatives that wilfully pervert the pronunciation of their names - has anyone ever encountered Beethoveen, Bruckneer, Wagneer, Mahleer or Stevensohn, for example?

Mind you, there are quite a few composer comparatives that offer some mild amusement without actually perverting their pronunciations; Coplandish, Cartesian, Rubbish, Payneful, Matthewsiastic, Hollowayward, Mawkish, Baxtabbing, Boulezy, Medtnerdy, Searly, Ferneyhoughpeless (sorry, fhg!), Fallacious, Blissful, Gerhardnosed, Rouse-ing, Simpsonic, ifyouwantanymoreyoucansingemyourself (and I suppose that Beamish not so much has one but already is one).

But I digress, so I'll get me Coates and Popov now and leave you to it!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

My pet hate is posh mezzo-soprano presenters (and many others) who are too lazy to pronounce "oo". They pronounce is in a similar way to the French "u", as in tu, plume, pupitre, lune.

However, the sound is produced in a quite different way from the French method. Our European friends move the lips inwards to the "oo" shape, but voice "ee". Lazy English speakers do the opposite, barely moving their lips at all, keeping the mouth in the "ee" position, and feebly attempting to say "oo". The result is much less distinguished than the French sound.
              The moon is not the müne.
              You is not yü.
              Music is not müsic.

And the sloppy and sickly English: berk (book), werd (wood), gerd (good) is a result of the same laziness.
              Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 12-11-16, 19:38.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                My heart sank when I saw your name on the What's New? list. I thought to mesel', Oh, not again! Not still? Not after all your effort.
                Ha! All quiet on that front, but as I seldom listen in at times when he's likely to occur, I may have missed it recently!

KD was actually having a laugh at herself a couple of days ago, having got into a twist over Un Ballo in Maschera.....

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  ... more common nowadays than the, er, 'correct' pronunciation.
                  Coming soon to a radio near you : "pronounceiation"
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    "Soon"? It's long since happened already, surely?

Almost reminds me of the expression describing Ed Balls on Strictly Dumb Prancing - "the ex-shadow Dancellor of the Exchequer"...

Comment

• ahinton
                      • Nov 2010

KD was actually having a laugh at herself a couple of days ago, having got into a twist over Un Ballo in Maschera.....
                      Good to hear that she's joining in what might otherwise be the "fun"; a ball of mascarpone (pronounced the Delia Smith way), was it?...

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                        My pet hate is posh mezzo-soprano presenters (and many others) who are too lazy to pronounce "oo". They pronounce is in a similar way to the French "u", as in tu, plume, pupitre, lune.

However, the sound is produced in a quite different way from the French method. Our European friends move the lips inwards to the "oo" shape, but voice "ee". Lazy English speakers do the opposite, barely moving their lips at all, keeping the mouth in the "ee" position, and feebly attempting to say "oo". The result is much less distinguished than the French sound.
                        The moon is not the müne.
                        You is not yü.
                        Music is not müsic.

And the sloppy and sickly English: berk (book), werd (wood), gerd (good) is a result of the same laziness.
                        Do the Germans pronounce Gluck as Glerk?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          Irritable vowel syndrome.

Comment

• ahinton
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            Irritable vowel syndrome.
                            I'd have identified that post as yours even had it been anonymous!

And who says that the opposite of consonants is(are?) dissonants?...

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Isn't "Hunstanton" pronounced as "Hunston" - or perhaps only by locals?

Gordon Jacob - COTW. Sorry Donald McC.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                                Alas, this seems to be a fashion among many young women now. I've heard it for some time - down south, here, admittedly - and have supposed it to be a kind of homage to 'posh' speech. But definitely on trend.

Comment

Working...
                                X