X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Undoubtedly the northerners (myself included) in our 'posh' Oxfordshire choir articulate the words far better than the southerners.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      ... toff-bashing is just so lazy... :sigh emoticon:

Tho' we can probably take it.

I never thought of it that way.
      It all makes sense now.

The non -toffs' laziness not only explains their lowly position, but also their idle resort to blaming the upper classes for their impoverished situation, instead of getting on and improving themselves.

Suddenly I see., in the words of Royal Holloway's favourite daughter.......
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

... toff-bashing is just so lazy... :sigh emoticon:

Tho' we can probably take it.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Moving on, how does one pronounce David Silva? As a rather weak student of Spanish at the present time, I would have thought "Dabid Silba" would be correct, but I've never heard our football commentators pronounce it like that.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            Moving on, how does one pronounce David Silva? As a rather weak student of Spanish at the present time, I would have thought "Dabid Silba" would be correct, but I've never heard our football commentators pronounce it like that.
            Intervocalic (David) will be the fricative sound we don't have, a bit like a buzzy w. But then you have to go the whole hog and the final d of David should be a gentle 'th' sound. So for myself, I'd recommend pronunciation as in English, with v's and d's. At most, Dahvid rather than Dayvid, but I wouldn't even insist on that. 'Our football commentators' are presumably speaking English (?) not Spanish.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              Intervocalic (David) will be the fricative sound we don't have, a bit like a buzzy w. But then you have to go the whole hog and the final d of David should be a gentle 'th' sound. So for myself, I'd recommend pronunciation as in English, with v's and d's. At most, Dahvid rather than Dayvid, but I wouldn't even insist on that. 'Our football commentators' are presumably speaking English (?) not Spanish.
              Rightly or wrongly, they tend to say Davvid Seelva.

Some nice attempts by BBC news today at Fianna Fail. I've heard Feena Fale and Feena Fall.

I would suggest Fianna Foil but am happy to be corrected.

Slightly off topic, I am enjoying the canal programmes featuring Timothy West and Prunella Scales.

What struck me this evening was, in view of Pru's illness, how certain her French appears to be.

It is pleasing to hear.
              Last edited by Lat-Literal; 27-02-16, 21:34.

Comment

• jean
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

I'd always thought it was pronounced Port Tallbot, even in Welsh.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jean View Post
                  I'd always thought it was pronounced Port Tallbot, even in Welsh.
                  I think 'in Welsh' it would be 'Tal' rhyming with 'pal'. That's how I think the first name Talfryn is pronounced.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    I think 'in Welsh' it would be 'Tal' rhyming with 'pal'. That's how I think the first name Talfryn is pronounced.
                    Indeed, as in Henry Fox Talbot, who hailed from the same family as those who built the port.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                      • May 2011

OED gives both pronunciations - the 'tawlbot' one first. It's Norman French, the name of the Earls of Shrewsbury, who (probably) gave their name to the now-extinct breed of hunting dogs. A talbot was the badge carried on the Sunbeam Talbot in the 1930s (and used by the Rootes Group into the 1960s).

Port Talbot is named for the new docks built in 1837 by the Talbot family (ie: that of the Earls of Shrewsbury, who did pronounce it Tawlbot - at least in recent centuries).

Last edited by Pabmusic; 01-04-16, 09:34.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                        It's Norman French, the name of the Earls of Shrewsbury, who (probably) gave their name to the now-extinct breed of hunting dogs. A talbot was the badge carried on the Sunbeam Talbot in the 1930s (and used by the Rootes Group into the 1960s).
                        And then of course there's one of the best things I've ever tasted....

"...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Pabmusic
                          • May 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Oh, unfair... I sit here with my Californian red.

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

... I notice that many when referring to Port Talbot omit the 'double t' - very much Portalbot rather than PorT-Talbot. I assume this is the received pronunciation?

There was a running joke in Private Eye years back which regularly referred to 'Talbot'. Does anyone remember what it was about?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                              But that isn't a port.
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pabmusic
                                • May 2011

... I notice that many when referring to Port Talbot omit the 'double t' - very much Portalbot rather than PorT-Talbot. I assume this is the received pronunciation?

There was a running joke in Private Eye years back which regularly referred to 'Talbot'. Does anyone remember what it was about?
                                I think it started after Hillman cars (I had one) were rebranded as Talbots (I had two), but I can't remember what the analogy was.

Wasn't it something to do with Goldsmith's Now! magazine?

Comment

Working...
                                X