X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pabmusic
    • May 2011

Originally posted by jean View Post
    Ff has explained beautifully why there is a distinction between anger and banger, or finger and singer.

But I suppose if you're used to a variety of English where the distinction isn't made, you don't hear any difference, so you don't see how it can be there at all.
    You have it, Jean.

I have never pronounced 'singer' or 'banger' with a hard G. That's not a personal fad, it's how everyone spoke around me (in the South generally) when I was young. Some Northern types used a hard G (though not all by any means) but that was merely quaint. It's moments like this when you feel young (supercilious and patronising) again.

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

I really do remain confused!
      But I have thought of a use/pronunciation that I had not considered before.
      If I had the heat setting too high while I ironed my shirt, I might be a singer of my clothing, but that surely is not the pronunciation given to a choir member, even in the South!

Comment

• Pabmusic
        • May 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
        But I have thought of a use/pronunciation that I had not considered before.
        If I had the heat setting too high while I ironed my shirt, I might be a singer of my clothing, but that surely is not the pronunciation given to a choir member, even in the South!
        Ah, but that's a different word (though spelt the same - at least as singer). I guess we all say sinj (and presumably sinjer).

Comment

• Pabmusic
          • May 2011

...but that surely is not the pronunciation given to a choir member, even in the South!
          Coleridge Taylor's A Tale of Old Japan begins with the choir exclaiming (ff) "Peonies! Peonies!"

Now there's a pronunciation problem if ever there was one.

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
            Ah, but that's a different word (though spelt the same - at least as singer). I guess we all say sinj (and presumably sinjer).
            Indeed, but I was trying to find a difference in pronunciation between singer and finger, and thought that I had found one, albeit not the one ff and jean are talking about.
            And I don't have a problem with peonies, either: do tell.

Comment

• Pabmusic
              • May 2011

Indeed, but I was trying to find a difference in pronunciation between singer and finger, and thought that I had found one, albeit not the one ff and jean are talking about.
              And I don't have a problem with peonies, either: do tell.
              Well, I wasn't conducting so I didn't have to deal with it. But it was done at Keele University, and at the first rehearsal, trying to get 50 teenagers to sing that fortissimo with a straight face. Well...

I was just listening because I knew I'd be playing in it.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

I made the point that it was Received Pronunciation (RP) that distinguished between ˈæŋɡər (anger) and 'bæŋər (banger).
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

As did I when I started studying phonetics as part of my English Language degree many moons ago. I think that being told that "people" pronounced "singing" as something closer to "sinyinn" was exactly what caused me to concentrate on Literature after the First Year!

The words are from old German/Dutch/Anglo-Saxon - take no notice of those misled by French influences!
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    I made the point that it was Received Pronunciation (RP) that distinguished between ˈæŋɡər (anger) and 'bæŋər (banger).
                    Yes - just as Harold Godwinson got the point of Received Archery!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

Yes you did, but I still don't really hear it, and I didn't think I had cloth ears.
                      But my partner assures me that when in preparation for ironing the shirts I ask him to bring the hangers down I don't pronounce it quite to rhyme with any anger if I were to singe one!
                      He's from Sunderland, by the way, so we both have good hard northern accents.
                      :-)

Comment

• gurnemanz
                        • Nov 2010

As you describe it, there seems to be a sort of rule with "banger", "clanger" etc as derivatives from verbs and "anger", "hunger" as underived words in their own right. Strangely, derivatives from adjectives, as with the comparative of long, strong, young, seem to prefer the hard "g". Perversely, "wronger" goes the the other way.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                          As you describe it, there seems to be a sort of rule with "banger", "clanger" etc as derivatives from verbs and "anger", "hunger" as underived words in their own right. Strangely, derivatives from adjectives, as with the comparative of long, strong, young, seem to prefer the hard "g". Perversely, "wronger" goes the the other way.
                          The fact that adjectives have a different phonetic development is interesting. Though the word 'wronger' is little used as a comparative, is it? As a noun, the g - regularly - is not sounded, deriving from the verb 'to wrong'. (Or am I getting muddled now? :-) )
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

I say sin-Ging
                            which means I get a rather good rhythm when talking about this

Ahh, remember the good old days, when short people were always portrayed as villans.And I have to disagree with Mr Bear, she didn't look ugly at all, In fact...

Comment

• gurnemanz
                              • Nov 2010

The fact that adjectives have a different phonetic development is interesting. Though the word 'wronger' is little used as a comparative, is it? As a noun, the g - regularly - is not sounded, deriving from the verb 'to wrong'. (Or am I getting muddled now? :-) )
                              Maybe "wronger" behaves differently just because it is a rare usage and more normally a noun with a soft "g". It is not that common even as a noun, but is used as such by Iago in a famous speech:

Iago:
                              O, beware, my lord, of jealousy;
                              It is the green-ey'd monster, which doth mock
                              The meat it feeds on. That cuckold lives in bliss,
                              Who, certain of his fate, loves not his wronger:
                              But O, what damnèd minutes tells he o'er
                              Who dotes, yet doubts, suspects, yet strongly loves!

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                                Maybe "wronger" behaves differently just because it is a rare usage and more normally a noun with a soft "g". It is not that common even as a noun, but is used as such by Iago in a famous speech:
                                Yes, even the noun is rare. I was getting muddled, thinking of a 'wronger of rights' rather than a 'righter of wrongs'. But I would say ˈrɒŋər rather than ˈrɒŋgər, if I said it.

Comment

Working...
                                X