• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... not all of us are on facebook. We have to seek our consistent amusements elsewhere. Are you able to share the pith of the delight to be obtained in this pertickler instance?
    Ah doesn't the link work if your Face is not in the book? Sorry...

I'm not sure I can do justice to Mahan's contributions, as I might have to mod myself (his language is occasionally ripe ).

As for Squire Trelawny, this was the exchange that prompted my post:

Lovely Petroc, it's Elguh (as in Elder) not Elgahr (as in agar). From an admirer.
    &
    Oo, sorry Petroc. I'm sure it's Norsherping (dum di dum), not Nor-shopping.

Petroc Trelawny (for it is he. Ed.): Dear Philip - you are quite correct re the orch - it sped towards me with no time to double check. At least not nor-kopping. Re. Elgar I think a debate between period pronunciation and accepted modern usage - most people say El-garr ... Though I accept that in no way means that is correct ...

To be clear, that wasn't a perticklishly amusing exchange - it was just good of PT to wade in and respond (perhaps the adjective "lovely" proved an effective bait.... )
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Just listening to Sunday's Breakfast

Perhaps someone could tell the presenter that a VYE-uh-la is a plant; the stringed instrument which is larger than a violin and smaller than a cello is a vee-OH-la. And, um, Boolay?
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Rob Cowan just rendered Moog and written when introducing an item, then corrected himself to Moog as pronounced by the man himself after the spin.

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          Rob Cowan just rendered Moog and written when introducing an item, then corrected himself to Moog as pronounced by the man himself after the spin.
          ... that may be a little unfair. William Gregory earlier in the week explained why he pronounced Moog as Moog even tho' he knows that Robt: Moog pronounced it Moag. Something along the lines of - well, that's how we all pronounced it before we 'learnt' that it 'should' be pronounced Moag - and that, ennyway, it's a Dutch name - they wd pronounce it Moog - and that Robt: M shd've known better (or words to that effect).

I'm no fan of Mr Cowan; his pronunciation is a regular joy for fault-finders : but this time I think he has some kind of defence ...

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            And, um, Boolay?
            Yes, noticed that one. But why doesn't Boulez rhyme with voulez? Perhaps it's just one of those oddities to confuse us Brits, like the fact (IIRC) that Jean Francaix pronounced his surname with the final x sounded. Not something the BBC has taken up for some unknown reason What do French broadcasters do?
            I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
              Yes, noticed that one. But why doesn't Boulez rhyme with voulez? Perhaps it's just one of those oddities to confuse us Brits, like the fact (IIRC) that Jean Francaix pronounced his surname with the final x sounded. Not something the BBC has taken up for some unknown reason What do French broadcasters do?
              And what about Berlioz? (Or, when the occasion arises, "Ferneyhough"!)

(How does one correctly pronounce "Launceston", for that matter?! )
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                Yes, noticed that one. But why doesn't Boulez rhyme with voulez?
                With names there's usually some historical explanation for the pronunciation (if it isn't someone wanting to be 'different').
                like the fact (IIRC) that Jean Francaix pronounced his surname with the final x sounded. Not something the BBC has taken up for some unknown reason
                I was at a recital in St Geo's, Bristol, presented for R3 by Chris de Souza. He told the audience in the warm-up that he was well aware of the claimed pronunciation Fronseks, but he would be pronouncing it Fronsay because that was the BBC way …
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  Chris de Souza...told the audience in the warm-up that he was well aware of the claimed pronunciation Fronseks, but he would be pronouncing it Fronsay because that was the BBC way …
                  A clear case of no sex please, we're British.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                    • May 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

I don't know about 'correct' anything. I've never been correct in my life. Two syllables, surely.

As for Boulez, Berlioz, Françaix. What about Asterix? (OK - he's Belgian.)

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

Living where I do I can claim some knowledge on 'Lanson'. It's even still commonly spelt thus in local papers. What fascinated me when we moved here was a shopkeeper, probably 80+, very, very local 'proper-Cornish', in our village. My wife caught him saying 'Lawnston' to her, asked him why and was told he chose his pronunciation for whom he was talking to, p-C or incomer, presumably. Well, that put us in our place...

And of course there's the Catch-22 than if you say one you're flagging yourself up as an ignorant incomer, and if you use the other you're even worse, pretending to be p-C! There are many such traps in many different places...
                      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                        I don't know about 'correct' anything. I've never been correct in my life. Two syllables, surely.

As for Boulez, Berlioz, Françaix. What about Asterix? (OK - he's Belgian.)
                        Pierre Etaix, the French comic actor?

Comment

• Pabmusic
                          • May 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          Pierre Etaix, the French comic actor?

Comment

• Stan Drews
                            • Dec 2010

Although easily checkable (thanks, Keraulophone, November 17 last year), AMcG persistently referred to Niels 'Gayday' on CDR this morning.

Comment

• mangerton
                              • Nov 2010

This pronunciation question is indubitably a problem. On a personal note, I'm not even sure how my forum name should be pronounced.

Should the first two syllables rhyme with anger, stranger, or banger? I have an idea, but I don't know. Can any kind soul here please help?

Comment

• Pulcinella
                                Host
                                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                                This pronunciation question is indubitably a problem. On a personal note, I'm not even sure how my forum name should be pronounced.

Should the first two syllables rhyme with anger, stranger, or banger? I have an idea, but I don't know. Can any kind soul here please help?
                                Am I missing something?
                                Where I come from, anger and banger rhyme with each other.
                                Were you born in a manger?

Comment

Working...
                                X