• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
    - it's not like saying Venice instead of Venezia, because as far as I know the British never had any particular claims to that city.
    I've never understood why we name Firenze after a Magic Roundabout character.

Comment

• gurnemanz
      • Nov 2010

NO! Don't ever do that! It's not a simple equivalent - it carries a political meaning.

I once saw a German car with a sticker reading

Danzig, Posen und Stettin
      Deutsche Städte wie Berlin

My more sensitive German colleagues in Poland were very, very careful never to use the old German names.
      Up until Willy Brandt and the Ostpolitik early 70s the West German weather forecast map continued to be based on the borders of 1937 with all those areas beyond the Oder-Neisse line including East Prussia.

Comment

• muzzer
        • Nov 2013

Am I a curmudgeon for detesting Suzy Klein's voice? Every time I hear a trailer with her I want to hurl the radio across the kitchen.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
          Am I a curmudgeon for detesting Suzy Klein's voice? Every time I hear a trailer with her I want to hurl the radio across the kitchen.
          Of course you are. But it's not a hangable offence!
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

I thought Rob C was tempting fate scheduling a whole hour of zarzuela on Sunday morning I was listening on the motorway. Had to really concentrate on my driving.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
              I thought Rob C was tempting fate scheduling a whole hour of zarzuela on Sunday morning I was listening on the motorway. Had to really concentrate on my driving.
              How was Gerónimo Giménez?
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                How was Gerónimo Giménez?
                I got the distinct impression he'd been practising, probably up all night. It's the way he takes a deep breath, pauses, cranks himself up to come out with it, like a high-jumper....

Comment

• amateur51

I got the distinct impression he'd been practising, probably up all night. It's the way he takes a deep breath, pauses, cranks himself up to come out with it, like a high-jumper....
                  Lovely image RT - the Cowan Caress rather than the Fosbury Flop I trust

Comment

• Sir Velo
                    • Oct 2012

The mistress of smarm?

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                      The mistress of smarm?
                      ... good Lord, no! There's another R3 girlie who's up for that title.

And there are not a few boys in the running, too...

Comment

• Roslynmuse
                        • Jul 2011

I've just been catching up with some of last week's Afternoon on Three, introduced by Verity Sharp. First time in ages I've heard her. I didn't want to hurl the radio (or my computer), but I did keep picturing her as Jack Dee in drag. Is there a more morose voice than hers on R3?

Comment

• Rcartes
                          • Feb 2011

I lived there for several years and yes, I rather think it is. When Churchill made his speech, the city had only just migrated to the wrong side of the Iron Curtain, so nobody would yet have become familiar with its new name.

They're not hard, really. Polish pronunciation is absolutely consistent. English people think they can't pronounce szcz especially in an initial position - but we can all say it if the sound is split between two words, as in fresh cheese.

(I got very good at Polish pronunciation - it was just the meaning I couldn't manage.)
                          Polish is easy peasy: you should try Georgian for difficulty. Take, for example, the old capital before Tbilisi: it was Mtskheta. Not easy!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Suzy Klein is one of the most knowledgeable and articulate presenters on Radio 3. I am a little irritated by her Anne Robinson smirk on television, but if the latter were not on my radar, I probably would find no fault with SK.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Westminster or Westminster? Heard Mark Mardell the new World This Weekend presenter (back from 5 years in the US) say WestMINster today....http://dictionary.cambridge.org/pron...sh/westminster

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Westminster or Westminster? Heard Mark Mardell the new World This Weekend presenter (back from 5 years in the US) say WestMINster today....http://dictionary.cambridge.org/pron...sh/westminster
                                How interesting. I've lived in Westminster for 20 odd years, and I think (though have never paid much attention) I say WesMINster....
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X