Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deckerd

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    Much of what is being discussed would be more appropriate inPedants' Paradise. So to keep us on the pronunciation topic, may I return to the three recordings of Elgar's oratorio The Apostles?
    It concerns the pronunciation of "Hebron", which was "Heebron" in the Boult recording, but "Hebbron" in both Hickox and Elder versions. The latter is the pronunciation used by the BBC news team, and may be the way it is pronounced in the modern town, but I understand the former was more common before the creation of the state of Israel after WWII.
    This is to do with Old English and subsequent accretions. Basically, if you're a traditionalist you will put the stress on the first syllable but make it short; thus 'hebbron', or you are a parvenu and will put a post-GVS twist on it and make it long: hibron (heebron in modern orthography). Both are equally wanky since English is the most absorbent language on Earth

Comment

• JFLL
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      Getting back to pronunciations, how do people pronounce the following?

1. margarine
      2. vitamin

I was brought up to say "marjareen" and "vittamin"' both of which I now understand to be incorrect.
      Do the grand people who say 'margarine' with a hard 'g' also say 'marg' with a hard 'g' rather than 'mardge'? Or are they too grand even to abbreviate it? Or use it? Come on, I know we've got some really grand people (in both senses) on this forum.

Comment

• mangerton
        • Nov 2010

I was brought up like EA in this instance at least.

I think the "g" should be hard, as it's before an "a", so therefore margareen

I think the "i" in vitamin should be long, as in "vital", which is how the Americans tend to pronounce it.

At breakfast and tea at school, we always called it "marj".
        Last edited by mangerton; 16-02-13, 19:15. Reason: to respond to JFLL's post

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post

I think the "i" in vitamin should be long, as in "vital", which is how the Americans tend to pronounce it.
          But most British people seem to favour the short "i". Likewise, "dynasty", "simultaneous", "advertisement".

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

But that doesn't stop David Cameron saying "ae" when he means "a". and in the examples quoted, the alternative is often the Americans trying to be different.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
              I think the "g" should be hard, as it's before an "a", so therefore margareen
              As pronounced by the wonderful Michael Barratt on Nationwide in the early '70s.

I think that this was how the word was originally pronounced by its coiner: "Vitamine" (rather like "Thiamine").

But, apart from a rebellious phase in my teens when I emulated MrBarratt's example, I've always followed Alpie's pronunciation. (Except that I don't think I've ever said the word "margerine" in over twenty years!)
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

Strangely enough, as I listen to the interval chat in the Met Rigoletti, a woman (British) has just pronounced "risible" as in "rise". This is surely an error rather than an optional alternative, both here and in US.

Comment

• JFLL
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Deckerd View Post
                  Eine Alpensinfonie wrote:
                  Much of what is being discussed would be more appropriate inPedants' Paradise. So to keep us on the pronunciation topic, may I return to the three recordings of Elgar's oratorio The Apostles?
                  It concerns the pronunciation of "Hebron", which was "Heebron" in the Boult recording, but "Hebbron" in both Hickox and Elder versions. The latter is the pronunciation used by the BBC news team, and may be the way it is pronounced in the modern town, but I understand the former was more common before the creation of the state of Israel after WWII.
                  This is to do with Old English and subsequent accretions. Basically, if you're a traditionalist you will put the stress on the first syllable but make it short; thus 'hebbron', or you are a parvenu and will put a post-GVS twist on it and make it long: hibron (heebron in modern orthography). Both are equally wanky since English is the most absorbent language on Earth.
                  But compare the word ‘Hebrew’, which has a long ‘ee’ [i:]. This must I think have had a long [e:] (roughly ‘ay’) in Middle English to have undergone the late Middle English/early Modern English change of [e:] to [i:] (Great Vowel Shift). So the pronunciation ‘Heebron’ [hi:bron] could well be traditionally ‘correct’ in Modern English, though possibly 'Hebron' with a short 'e' is more like the Modern Hebrew pronunciation.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

I've been looking into this, and it appears that "Heebron" is correct. The other way may well be another BBC pronunciation error, that has filtered throughout to the Hickox and Elder recordings of The Apostles.

Comment

• Vile Consort
                      • Nov 2010

Has anyone else heard the story that the BBC pronunciation committee set up by Reith in the early days discussed whether "cinema" should be pronounced as we pronounce it today or kye-nee-ma? Presumably both pronunciations must have been current in the 1920's, the latter, I imagine, more popular among classical scholars.

Comment

• mangerton
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                        Strangely enough, as I listen to the interval chat in the Met Rigoletti, a woman (British) has just pronounced "risible" as in "rise". This is surely an error rather than an optional alternative, both here and in US.
                        I should have thought that was a ridiculous (same root) error.

Comment

• jean
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

Why are the BBC pronouncing him Beppe Greeeeeo?

Comment

• Flosshilde
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            Though do we ever talk about Verdi's Othello?
                            Well, if we say that we're going to see 'Otello' it's clear that we're seeing the opera, not the play, & saying "Verdi's Othello" isn't accurate, as he didn't write anything called 'Othello'.

(What do italians say when they talk about Shakespeare's play?)

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                              (What do italians say when they talk about Shakespeare's play?)
                              I don't know, but last time I was in Verona, they were advertising 'La Bisbetica domata' in the arena.
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Ian Botham.

The BBC has always pronounced his name "Boatham", but the normal pronunciation in the East Midlands has a short "o" and a soft "th". Furthermore, his fellow players called him "Both" (rhyming with "goth".

Comment

Working...
                                X