• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
    We used not to. But then, we pronounced garage as 'garridge' when I was a boy (50s and 60s).
    - I still do!

I also mentioned that Chopin lived for some time in "Madge-orka" to some youths yesterday, which greatly amused them.

Incidentally, does anyone know why Paris is the only French city that is usually pronounced "in English" here? To say "Paree" would sound as affected as it would to refer to "Lion".
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pabmusic
      • May 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      - I still do!...
      So do I.

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      Incidentally, does anyone know why Paris is the only French city that is usually pronounced "in English" here? To say "Paree" would sound as affected as it would to refer to "Lion".
      Not quite the only one. I'm sure Rheims is not generally said as if we were French. But it is odd, isn't it? And the French say Londres and Edinbourg. But then we say Copenhagen (Kobenhavn), Brussells (Bruxelles), Lisbon (Lisboa), Rome (Roma), Naples (Napoli), Florence (Firenze), and no doubt many more.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

And 'Lyons,' used to be pronounced as Lions (isn't it spelled like that in English? I wonder if that is an old locative survival?). I don't think I've heard that for a long time. Nor Leghorn rather than Livorno.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

The Germans say Genf, the French Genève. We call it Geneva which seems like the Italian name, but they actually say Ginevra.

Comment

• Pabmusic
            • May 2011

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
            The Germans say Genf, the French Genève. We call it Geneva which seems like the Italian name, but they actually say Ginevra.
            Yes - all of them derived from the name (in different languages) of the juniper bush - origin of that very fine spirit that goes so well with tonic water.

Comment

• amateur51

So do I.

Not quite the only one. I'm sure Rheims is not generally said as if we were French. But it is odd, isn't it? And the French say Londres and Edinbourg. But then we say Copenhagen (Kobenhavn), Brussells (Bruxelles), Lisbon (Lisboa), Rome (Roma), Naples (Napoli), Florence (Firenze), and no doubt many more.
              We still say Mold, Newport and Cardiff too

Comment

• Pabmusic
                • May 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                Indeed we do.

Comment

• jean
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

It's usually only the largest and most-spoken-of cities that have their own English names, isn't it?

There are more Italian ones, certainly - Milan, Venice, Genoa and Padua as well as Rome - but I don't think anyone says Leghorn instead of Livorno any more.

When we first took French words into English, we were much more cavalier about pronouncing them how we liked, and we're now backtracking on that a bit - we don't have a problem with Beaulieu, but I hear people pronouncing Beaumaris as though it was modern French, although the Welsh spelling Biw- makes it clear what the original pronunciation was.

...And frenssh she spak ful faire and fetisly,
                  After the scole of Stratford atte Bowe,
                  For Frenssh of Parys was to hire unknowe...

Comment

• jean
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

we say...Florence (Firenze)...
                    I've got a theory about that one - I think we English were so proud of our classical scholarship, which we thought gave us greater ownership of Italy's classical past than the current inhabitants of the place had any right to, that we went straight for a name derived from Latin rather than adopt the degenerate modern Italian.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                      • May 2011

Originally posted by jean View Post
                      I've got a theory about that one - I think we English were so proud of our classical scholarship, which we thought gave us greater ownership of Italy's classical past than the current inhabitants of the place had any right to, that we went straight for a name derived from Latin rather than adopt the degenerate modern Italian.
                      Sounds plausible (Grand Tour and all that).

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                        True, but Ceredigion seems to be de rigeur nowadays doesn't it ?

Comment

• scottycelt

And the French say ... Edinbourg.
                          And with so much of that beautiful city's historic French influences that might seem both justifiable and acceptable . a walk down the Royal Mile sometimes feels as much French as Scottish to me, even today ... and everything sounds much better in French, anyway?

I very much draw the line at that thoroughly grating Yankee 'Edinboro', though ...

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                            And with so much of that beautiful city's historic French influences that might seem both justifiable and acceptable . a walk down the Royal Mile sometimes feels as much French as Scottish to me, even today ... and everything sounds much better in French, anyway?

I very much draw the line at that thoroughly grating Yankee 'Edinboro', though ...
                            Actually ... the French pronounce it even better still, I think ... Edimbourg! ... mais ouis!

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

We'd never think of pronouncing courage, brave, or confident as if they were French, but there's just as much reason to do so as there is to pronounce garage in a French way.
                              ... we seem to have retained the French -age pronunciation for mirage - persiflage - camouflage - barrage - fuselage.

For me garage still has three pronunciations -

ga-'RAZH

'GA - razh

'GA - ridge

I grew up with the first. It now sounds too lordly by half, and I certainly wdn't use it when considering taking a bus to its terminus at Willesden Garage - that wd definitely be GA-ridge. But in the comfort of my own home...

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                                ... we seem to have retained the French -age pronunciation for mirage - persiflage - camouflage - barrage - fuselage.

For me garage still has three pronunciations -

ga-'RAZH

'GA - razh

'GA - ridge

I grew up with the first. It now sounds too lordly by half, and I certainly wdn't use it when considering taking a bus to its terminus at Willesden Garage - that wd definitely be GA-ridge. But in the comfort of my own home...
                                I thing I use the second one for just about the whole time, but with a touch of the 3rd, resulting in GArardj.

Comment

Working...
                                X