• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
    Natalie Dessay kinda went in the opposite direction. Born Natalie Dessaix, she changed the spelling to avoid getting called Natalie DeSex outside France
    Or even Natalie d'Essex?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Or even Natalie d'Essex?

While we're on about French names ending with pronounced consonants, what about the Z on the end of Boulez? One would have thought he would be rhymeable with Patti Boulaye!

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        While we're on about French names ending with pronounced consonants, what about the Z on the end of Boulez? One would have thought he would be rhymeable with Patti Boulaye!
        Way, way, way back the ending -ez would always have sounded the final z. It was just a question of different words taking different routes, and proper names tended to retain older pronunciations, presumably as this was handed down from generation to generation.

Where Boulez came from I've no idea. Plenty of place names Bou(l)lay(e) but nothing like Boulez.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
          • Apr 2014

Way, way, way back the ending -ez would always have sounded the final z. It was just a question of different words taking different routes, and proper names tended to retain older pronunciations, presumably as this was handed down from generation to generation.

Where Boulez came from I've no idea. Plenty of place names Bou(l)lay(e) but nothing like Boulez.
          My particular bugbear is the prevelant Messyan when it should be Messiaen with the en as in enfant not an as in anchor!

I may have posted this before - this is a link to a how to pronounce French composers’ names spoken by a Frenchman

The French have a tendency to modify foreign names in order to make them more French sounding and easier to pronounce. We even have an official name for this : “La francisation des noms propr…

There’s also this YouTube guide given by an American with a very good French accent (and scary lipstick)

15 #FRENCH COMPOSERS NAMES || HOW TO #PRONOUNCE THEM || In this episode, I'm breaking down 15 French composer names and showing you how to pronounce them. Li...

Comment

• Padraig
            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
            There’s also this YouTube guide given by an American with a very good French accent (and scary lipstick)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9mg31B7FxI
            What if they were to whisper des mots doux in your ear?

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

When mentioning the 'Prix de Rome', Petroc rhymed the last word with 'foam' - should it not perhaps rhyme with 'tom'? I believe the last word in 'Tour de France' is usually pronounced in the French manner.

Comment

• Padraig
                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                When mentioning the 'Prix de Rome', Petroc rhymed the last word with 'foam' - should it not perhaps rhyme with 'tom'? I believe the last word in 'Tour de France' is usually pronounced in the French manner.
                I think you're right, McD, but don't forget to mind your r.

Comment

• edashtav
                  • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                  I think you're right, McD, but don't forget to mind your r.
                  And, don’t forget read-only memory [ROM].

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

French and English have completely different phonetic systems where few of the letters/sounds have exactly the same articulation. So an English 'Pree duh Rome' sounds (to my ear) slightly more acceptable that a hybrid 'Pree duh Romm'.

Comment

• Bella Kemp
                      • Aug 2014

We say Paris and not Paree, but Lyon is Lyon and not Lion, so surely however we say 'Prix de Rome' can scarcely matter. But then generally I find concern for what may or may not be 'correct' pronunciation a little bizarre.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bella Kemp View Post
                        We say Paris and not Paree, but Lyon is Lyon and not Lion, so surely however we say 'Prix de Rome' can scarcely matter. But then generally I find concern for what may or may not be 'correct' pronunciation a little bizarre.
                        "Donald MacLeod looks at how Poulenc's tastes were shaped in the high salons of Parry".

Announcing today's COTW episode on Poulenc, just now.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                          • Nov 2010

Often no rhyme or reason in these matters: We call Köln by its French name, Cologne, but pronounce it in an English way. By analogy with what we do to Boulogne, it would be "Coloin".

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

We say Paris and not Paree, but Lyon is Lyon and not Lion
                            'We' used to speak of 'the Gulf of Lyons' (pron. Lions), I think during my lifetime, though I'm not sure about that. Fashions change. The final 's' was common on the end of place names: Angers, Poitiers, Nantes, Limoges, Tours, Moulins. I can't remember whether it was a locative or something else

Comment

• gurnemanz
                              • Nov 2010

'We' used to speak of 'the Gulf of Lyons' (pron. Lions), I think during my lifetime, though I'm not sure about that. Fashions change. The final 's' was common on the end of place names: Angers, Poitiers, Nantes, Limoges, Tours, Moulins. I can't remember whether it was a locative or something else
                              .... with a silent s, unlike Reims, British version being denasalised to Reems.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

The final 's' was common on the end of place names: Angers, Poitiers, Nantes, Limoges, Tours, Moulins. I can't remember whether it was a locative or something else
                                On my first trip to France when I was 15, I was sleepwalking on the night train to Grenoble. When the train arrived at Lyon, I stepped out of the train on to the platform, and saw the sign "LYON". I thought this was a mistake, having seen it written as "Lyons" in atlases. However, the shock woke me up and I scrambled back on to the train, and avoided being stranded, alone and confused.

I never misspelt it again.

Comment

Working...
                                X