Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alain Maréchal
    • Dec 2010

Citizen Kane addressed his business manager as Mister Bernsteen.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
      Banned
      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      ... what was that about Awkward English first Syllable Stresses?

More variable with words of 3 syllables or more...very often 2nd or 3rd.....(well not "syllables" itself, but).....but then why does Tuon​ela sound so odd... I don't think it is just (un)familiarity...
      Something else going on there, in the vowel-music of the word, or....?
      A lot easier to rhyme with Tuonela
      Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 02-11-19, 02:25.

Comment

• muzzer
        • Nov 2013

‘Steen’ vs ‘Stine’, this will run and run. My 10 cents (from the U.K.) is that Steen was adopted by migrants to the US in the late 19thC to “Ungerman” themselves and because it’s a simpler read. I’m willing to bet LB adopted Stine so as to expressly identify himself with the ‘ancestors’, broadly construed, for cultural reasons. Shall look it up later.

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
          ‘Steen’ vs ‘Stine’, this will run and run. My 10 cents (from the U.K.) is that Steen was adopted by migrants to the US in the late 19thC to “Ungerman” themselves and because it’s a simpler read. I’m willing to bet LB adopted Stine so as to expressly identify himself with the ‘ancestors’, broadly construed, for cultural reasons. Shall look it up later.
          Musician Bern'stine' and film producer Bern'steen'. And let's not forget Gene Wilder's insistence on being called FrankenSTEEN.

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
            An interviewed UK orchestral player pronounced him thus on air a few days ago. Did Lennie?

I'd always assumed the German vowel sound was correct, IIRCC that's the way he's usually said over here, and was preparing to throw something at the radio when I realised that the -steen pronunciation in similar names is common, maybe even standard, in the USA.
            I always thought that UK trumpet players would refer to him as AH ?

Comment

• Judith Robbyns

Jayne Lee Wilson: "More variable with words of 3 syllables or more...very often 2nd or 3rd.....(well not "syllables" itself, but).....but then why does Tuon​ela sound so odd... I don't think it is just (un)familiarity...
              Something else going on there, in the vowel-music of the word, or....?
              A lot easier to rhyme with Tuonela "

There's nothing 'unEnglish' (linguistically) about an initial-stressed trisyllable. We even move the stress forward where foreign equivalents have a more 'English-placed' stress.

Madeleine
              Emily
              Eleanor
              Isabel

and if you want an easy musical rhyme

Pamela
              Angela

Whether English 'decides' to opt for the English TuonELA will probably depend on how often it is given that pronunciation out of ignorance, how seldom it's pronounced in the Finnish way.

Comment

• Oakapple

In Humphrey Burton's biography of LB (page 4) he says that it was the father Sam who insisted on the German pronunciation "stine" rather than "steen", which was Ukrainian.

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                  ... why does Tuon​ela sound so odd... I don't think it is just (un)familiarity...y:
                  ... but I expect you have no problem with Tap - iola, and are not tempted to make it Tapi - o - la.

If Tap iola why the difficulty with Tu onela?

Comment

• muzzer
                    • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Oakapple View Post
                    In Humphrey Burton's biography of LB (page 4) he says that it was the father Sam who insisted on the German pronunciation "stine" rather than "steen", which was Ukrainian.
                    Thank you, that’s where I was going to look!

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Judith Robbyns View Post

There's nothing 'unEnglish' (linguistically) about an initial-stressed trisyllable. We even move the stress forward where foreign equivalents have a more 'English-placed' stress.
                      Madeleine, Emily, Eleanor, Isabel
                      ... and charlatan, souvenir, nonchalant.

But, as Fowler notes - "a stressed syllable followed by three unstressed ones is very unpopular except with professors & the like if there is an alternative handy" ['Modern English Usage', 1927 edn., article 'contumely' (with its five pronunciations).]

In the article 'recessive accent' there he discusses words such as deuteronomy, laboratory, disciplinary, hospitable, despicable, capitalist, gladiolus, contumacy, recriminatory with regard to the conflicting tendencies towards shifting the stress towards the beginning of the word (the stress on the middle moved to the initial for : aggrandize, recondite, obdurate, contrary, equerry, demonstrate) as against the 'repugnance to strings of obscure syllables'.

Me, I always insist that it is 'controversy. I understand that some of the younger generations are under the impression that con'troversy is acceptable.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

... and charlatan, souvenir, nonchalant.

But, as Fowler notes - "a stressed syllable followed by three unstressed ones is very unpopular except with professors & the like if there is an alternative handy" ['Modern English Usage', 1927 edn., article 'contumely' (with its five pronunciations).]

In the article 'recessive accent' there he discusses words such as deuteronomy, laboratory, disciplinary, hospitable, despicable, capitalist, gladiolus, contumacy, recriminatory with regard to the conflicting tendencies towards shifting the stress towards the beginning of the word (the stress on the middle moved to the initial for : aggrandize, recondite, obdurate, contrary, equerry, demonstrate) as against the 'repugnance to strings of obscure syllables'.

Me, I always insist that it is 'controversy. I understand that some of the younger generations are under the impression that con'troversy is acceptable.
                        Always controversy for my father (1908-2001), who insisted that everyone of his generation pronounced it thus, and that therefore it had to be be right. Accenting the first syllable does however make it difficult to avoid also accenting the third, or even put the main stress onto it - which, to my ears, sounds terrible: controVERsy?

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          Always controversy for my father (1908-2001), who insisted that everyone of his generation pronounced it thus, and that therefore it had to be be right.
                          ... ah well, I merely follow my father [1916-1983] and mother [1913-2008] - for them, no controversy, it had to be controversy...

And, like your parents I think, both Londoners.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

... ah well, I merely follow my father [1916-1983] and mother [1913-2008] - for them, no controversy, it had to be controversy...

And, like your parents I think, both Londoners.
                            Crouch End in my father's case; Mum (1905-1985) actually came from Middlesbrough.

Comment

• muzzer
                              • Nov 2013

Interesting. I’ve always stressed the second syllable in controversy, and believed stressing the first a recent errant import from the US. Londoner born and bred fwiw.

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

... the only pronunciation provided in my 1933 OED is 'controversy.

Comment

Working...
                                X