Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

I once learnt that all Finnish words are stressed on the first syllable. Surely not a difficult rule to master. Nitpicker I may be but I have just got irked by Suzy K's repeated reference to the Swan of Tuanela rather than Tuonela. If you are a professional radio presenter, especially on a staion with reasonably high cultural aspirations, I would have thought that you would regard it as part of your job get such things right.

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

... she prob'ly thinks there is assonance between Tapiola and tapioca too

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
        I once learnt that all Finnish words are stressed on the first syllable. Surely not a difficult rule to master. Nitpicker I may be but I have just got irked by Suzy K's repeated reference to the Swan of Tuanela rather than Tuonela. If you are a professional radio presenter, especially on a station with reasonably high cultural aspirations, I would have thought that you would regard it as part of your job get such things right.
        I agree - but doesn't the name of the composer of that piece suggest that the "rule" isn't always applicable? ("Sybil Yus", anyone?)
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          I agree - but doesn't the name of the composer of that piece suggest that the "rule" isn't always applicable? ("Sybil Yus", anyone?)
          Sibelius of course a Swedish name (Latinization in c.1800 of Swedish Sibbe, name of a farmstead near Loviisa)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            Sibelius of course a Swedish name (Latinization in c.1800 of Swedish Sibbe, name of a farmstead near Loviisa)
            Ah, yes! I should've remembered that - and the fact that he didn't start to learn Finnish until he was a teenager! (Ironic, though: like Pacius' Kung Karls Jakt - the first opera written in Finland by a Finnish composer - had a libretto in Swedish.)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              Ah, yes! I should've remembered that - and the fact that he didn't start to learn Finnish until he was a teenager! (Ironic, though: like Pacius' Kung Karls Jakt - the first opera written in Finland by a Finnish composer - had a libretto in Swedish.)
              Well well! - I didn't know that, either! So, thanks, vints and ferney!

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

Heard regularly - mainly on commercial radio:

Lottery - Lot-er-ee

Wembley - Wem-ber-lee

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                  Heard regularly - mainly on commercial radio:

Lottery - Lot-er-ee

Wembley - Wem-ber-lee
                  The chant 'We're all going to Wem-ber-lee' is often heard from supporters at FA Cup matches and other fixtures that might eventually lead them and their club to North London. When Ipswich Town were relegated last season, their fans changed the destination to Shrewsbury.
                  Last edited by LMcD; 01-11-19, 18:22.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                    The chant 'We're all going to Wem-ber-lee' is often heard from supporters at FA Cup matches and other fixtures that might eventually lead them and their club to North London. When Ipswich Town were relegated last season, their fans changed the destination to Shrewsbury.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                      I once learnt that all Finnish words are stressed on the first syllable. Surely not a difficult rule to master. Nitpicker I may be but I have just got irked by Suzy K's repeated reference to the Swan of Tuanela rather than Tuonela. If you are a professional radio presenter, especially on a staion with reasonably high cultural aspirations, I would have thought that you would regard it as part of your job get such things right.
                      Goodness.... I've been pronouncing it Tuonela all my life..... I can't recall ever hearing it in that authentic manner on Radio 3 either.... I think I would have noticed it...
                      But doesn't English often sound awkward, less flowing, with first syllable stresses...? My ear prefers the sound & the spoken feel of the wrong Tuonela....(sorry )

Here's the Google anyway...

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                        "But doesn't English often sound awkward, less flowing, with first syllable stresses...?
                        ... what was that about Awkward English first Syllable Stresses?

Comment

• Judith Robbyns

Tuonela: think Basingstoke.

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Judith Robbyns View Post
                            Tuonela: think Basingstoke.
                            'Basingstoke it is!' (We attended a performance of 'Ruddigore' last week in which that fine Hampshire town was replaced by 'Felixstowe'. There was also a topical reference to climbing onto the roof of a train in a list of supposedly evil deeds).

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                              • Apr 2007

Leonard Bernsteen?

An interviewed UK orchestral player pronounced him thus on air a few days ago. Did Lennie?

I'd always assumed the German vowel sound was correct, IIRCC that's the way he's usually said over here, and was preparing to throw something at the radio when I realised that the -steen pronunciation in similar names is common, maybe even standard, in the USA.
                              I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

... as in "Elmer".

IIRC, in the (sensationalist and not very reliable) Peyser biography, it was suggested that Lennie's preferred "stine" pronunciation was an affectation that he himself introduced to the family name. I'm sure that there are Forumistas herabouts who will be able to confirm/contradict this with much greater authority than I.

Comment

Working...
                                X