X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LeMartinPecheur
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    I’m surprised in modern film parlance it isn’t biomovie anyway. I cannot think of chicklit as being anything other than shredded paper used for bedding for hens!
    Wouldn't a biomovie have to be about something nasty escaping from a secret government laboratory?
    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
      Wouldn't a biomovie have to be about something nasty escaping from a secret government laboratory?
      On a par with triffids perhaps!

Comment

• Pabmusic
        • May 2011

Have we had biopic, rhyming with myopic, as on Breakfast the other day? Surely it's just a biographical picture (film), so stress on first syllable?

Or am I being short-sighted?
        Perfectly correct. Stress on the second syllable would suggest it's something slightly unpleasant, having to do with biopsies.

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

Weather presenters seem to pronounce mild as mahld rather than meyeld. Rather odd, slightly patrician, pronunciation.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
            Weather presenters seem to pronounce mild as mahld rather than meyeld. Rather odd, slightly patrician, pronunciation.
            Possibly the slightly patrician 'laziness' in articulation: mild would normally have a clearly diphthongised vowel (as you transcribe).
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              Possibly the slightly patrician 'laziness' in articulation: mild would normally have a clearly diphthongised vowel (as you transcribe).
              Which reminds me of the title to one of the late Kenny Wheeler's compositions, which he titled "Miold Man", in an attempt to convey his father's temperament, in a musical tribute to him.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                Which reminds me of the title to one of the late Kenny Wheeler's compositions, which he titled "Miold Man", in an attempt to convey his father's temperament, in a musical tribute to him.
                A dustman, was he?
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

Have we had biopic, rhyming with myopic, as on Breakfast the other day? Surely it's just a biographical picture (film), so stress on first syllable?

Or am I being short-sighted?
                  I noticed in the weekend supplement of the local rag they had it as bio-pic. It was probably a mistake on their part - attention to detail with regard to the text is rapidly departing - but it does make both the meaning and pronunciation clear.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

A dustman, was he?
                    No - a Canadian.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                      • May 2011

Would it? I've always said something like mahld (though I think with the mouth slightly more open..

At least it's not as bad as many (most?) Americans, who say meeya for mirror.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                        One would have to assume that they are not familiar with a looking-glass.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Would it? I've always said something like mahld (though I think with the mouth slightly more open.
                          That's how I would read the OED's transcription of British (I presume RP) English: mʌɪld, and it's certainly what I hear. Though I wasn't suggesting your pronunciation might be 'patrician laziness' .

But many long vowels in RP English are lightly diphthongised (eg came cay'eem, bold bōw'oold), aren't they? Great Vowel Shift?

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Would it? I've always said something like mahld (though I think with the mouth slightly more open..

Yes but they also call a zed a zee!

Comment

• kernelbogey
                              • Nov 2010

Would it? I've always said something like mahld (though I think with the mouth slightly more open.
                              Of course, its absence from pubs these days has played a role in its pronunciation .

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                                Next Christmas I shall listen out for "Peace on earth and mercy mahld/ God and sinners reconcahld​"
                                I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Working...
                                X