X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lat-Literal
    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    "Is the man in charge here tonight?" "No mate, but if you want him he's probably Atome".
    Boom boom!

(Basil Brush)

Boom boom boom!

(Baldrick)

Boom boom clang!

(US Strategic Command, which oversees America's nuclear arsenal)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46727991 :

Comment

• LMcD
      • Sep 2017

Blame my 1950s Latin teacher, who introduced us to the term in connection with the Romans' presence in Britain.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Compline rhyming with wine?
        Is that a thing?
        Only ever heard it pronounced to rhyme with Inn,until last night on R3 and I have been to really quite a lot of compline services!
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          The US speaker made it sound like 'ultimately'

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          I wonder how the theta in /ˌʌltɪmə ˈθuːliː/ is being pronounced? Like an English th or the Classical aspirated t? I had been vaguely wondering how the BBC had been pronouncing this. I expected altima thyool.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            Compline rhyming with wine?
            Is that a thing?
            Only ever heard it pronounced to rhyme with Inn,until last night on R3 and I have been to really quite a lot of compline services!
            Complinn.

Sanguine: a sangwinn temperament is warm and dry - or optimistic - associated with the blood/air, so warm and dry.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              Sanguine: a sangwinn temperament is warm and dry - or optimistic - associated with the blood/air, so warm and dry.
              Just remembered as I was putting on my shoes to go out: blood/air is warm/hot and wet, not warm/hot and dry. FIRE is hot and dry = choleric.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

The US speaker made it sound like 'ultimately'

I wonder how the theta in /ˌʌltɪmə ˈθuːliː/ is being pronounced? Like an English th or the Classical aspirated t? I had been vaguely wondering how the BBC had been pronouncing this. I expected altima thyool.
                Provided to YouTube by NAXOS of AmericaThule the period of cosmographie: Thule, the Period of Cosmography · Oxford CamerataEnglish Madrigals and Songs℗ 1996 ...

Hans Holbein the Younger (c.1497 - 1543)'The Ambassadors' 1533207 cm × 209.5 cm (81 in × 82.5 in)Oil on OakNational Gallery, London.Thomas Weelkes (baptized ...

Thomas Weelkes: Thule, the period of Cosmography - The Andalusian merchant (madrigal for 6 voices)Live recording 2/2014performed by the English Vocal Consort...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Complinn.
                  Having never knowingly heard the word spoken, I did wonder what ts was complining about (I read the "e" at the end, so it has always rhymed with "twine" whenever I've read it. ) Instead, it should sound more like a well-known sustenance drink for people off their food?
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    Instead, it should sound more like a well-known sustenance drink for people off their food?
                    More like that than rhyming with twine, yes, both being stressed on the first syllable I know this from family members in Catholic religious orders …

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                      • Apr 2007

Have we had biopic, rhyming with myopic, as on Breakfast the other day? Surely it's just a biographical picture (film), so stress on first syllable?

Or am I being short-sighted?
                      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Padraig
                        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                        Have we had biopic, rhyming with myopic?
                        I remember being quite relieved that I had never had occasion to say that word, because I also remember that the correct pronunciation occurred to me when I eventually thought about it. I still have never said it, but it would be interesting to discover if my first erroneous thought was actually correct.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                          • Nov 2010

Instinctively, I would say biopic and think that biopic is a mistake resulting from pronouncing the -ic as an unstressed suffix, as in "topic" or "myopic". As I think about, though, it's not so simple as that, since words from the same root have different stress - biography/biographical - which would seem to justify either version.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                            Instinctively, I would say biopic and think that biopic is a mistake resulting from pronouncing the -ic as an unstressed suffix, as in "topic" or "myopic". As I think about, though, it's not so simple as that, since words from the same root have different stress - biography/biographical - which would seem to justify either version.
                            Can't agree with your conclusion gurnemanz: neither of your examples has the necessary strong stress on the first syllable.
                            I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                              Can't agree with your conclusion gurnemanz: neither of your examples has the necessary strong stress on the first syllable.
                              The two abbreviations have to be kept separate to retain any meaning - bio- (biography) and pic- (picture): ópic has no meaning, whereas bio on its own is an abbreviation of biography anyway.

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

The two abbreviations have to be kept separate to retain any meaning - bio- (biography) and pic- (picture): ópic has no meaning, whereas bio on its own is an abbreviation of biography anyway.
                                I’m surprised in modern film parlance it isn’t biomovie anyway. I cannot think of chicklit as being anything other than shredded paper used for bedding for hens!

Comment

Working...
                                X