• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
    Edward Stourton has the sort of bearing which implies he would be sound on pronunciation.

But was he right today with "pree-see-uns"?

I have never heard prescience pronounced this way before.
    OED, he say: Brit. /ˈprɛsɪəns/, U.S. /ˈprɛʃ(i)əns/. I thought I might have heard it occasionally, but OED does not recognise this pronunciation.

Thinking of other words stressed on the first syllable: prelude, preface, predicate
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      OED, he say: Brit. /ˈprɛsɪəns/, U.S. /ˈprɛʃ(i)əns/. I thought I might have heard it occasionally, but OED does not recognise this pronunciation.
      Thank you.

I'm not saying this with any critical edge - he is one of the better presenters and was imo badly treated by the BBC re "Today" for allegedly being too "posh" - but do you think this could be a case of "posh" affectation rather than ignorance? He was either leading in to a discussion with Matthew Parris or already in one so perhaps he was subconsciously trying to impress.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Opening his New Year prescience?
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Lat-Literal
          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          Opening his New Year prescience?
          Yes.

While setting a precedent for unusual pronunciation.

Let's hope it isn't a new year's resolution.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
            • Aug 2015

Of Simon Jordan's several, yesterday, san-gwine as in white wine and red wine for sanguine. I think I have heard this before and it makes me wince. It also makes me wonder what the roots of it are in that it suggests it was first read by the speaker rather than heard. But it is a weird word. When I was very young and not able to know derivation, I thought it meant bloody miserable. Because it sounds like that to me. There are, I think, a lot of words which sound almost like the opposite to their meaning - but I can't think of any at the moment.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Of Simon Jordan's several, yesterday, san-gwine as in white wine and red wine for sanguine. I think I have heard this before and it makes me wince. It also makes me wonder what the roots of it are in that it suggests it was first read by the speaker rather than heard. But it is a weird word. When I was very young and not able to know derivation, I thought it meant bloody miserable. Because it sounds like that to me. There are, I think, a lot of words which sound almost like the opposite to their meaning - but I can't think of any at the moment.
              Possibly a lame attempt at differentiating the pronunciation from that of the first two syllables of sanguinary?

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                Possibly a lame attempt at differentiating the pronunciation from that of the first two syllables of sanguinary?
                Well, he has spent a lot of time in executive boardrooms!

There is another one on Talksport.

Ben Fletcher. Reads the sports news and more. Not so bad. Slightly estuarial, perhaps. I'm guessing here.

He signs off each time with "I'm Ban Flatcher"

It's so odd. I wish someone would tell him.

If they don't, he might get one of my e-mails.

Comment

• gradus
                  • Nov 2010

Edward Stourton has the sort of bearing which implies he would be sound on pronunciation.

But was he right today with "pree-see-uns"?

I have never heard prescience pronounced this way before.
                  Seems odd but he's so good at his job I don't mind.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                    Seems odd but he's so good at his job I don't mind.
                    Very odd - erudite, Oxbridge, a writer of books.

But then it was a very weird World at One. Perhaps they had all been on the sherry. He interviewed someone who I think was a BBC journalist. Alex. He had gone to the Forth to cover the story about people bathing in freezing cold waters in celebration of the New Year. Once there, he felt that it wouldn't be right of him not to take part, bearing in mind that a restaurant owner should always be prepared to eat his own meals. All suitably light hearted. Stourton chuckling. Only at the end asking if it was at all dangerous. This question was not so much directly answered as partially sidestepped. It wasn't as if they were in there for 20 minutes, he said. But throughout and this wasn't commented on, his easy flow of words was being interrupted by what was clearly chattering teeth. I had never heard this before in an interview and given that he had not been in for a while it was a study in another's self-denial.

The programme had begun with the blaring out almost in its entirety of "Under Pressure" by Queen and David Bowie as a supposed backdrop to "2018 - The Year of Brexit" although many of the words were obliterated by the music, however cleverly it had been edited. And it ended with the latest chapter of Mark Mardell's "Brexit - A Love Story" which looked at the historical role of Sir James Goldsmith and the Referendum Party. This was to the backdrop of Nino Rota's "Love Theme from Romeo and Juliet", once used for Simon Bates's "Our Tune".
                    Last edited by Lat-Literal; 01-01-19, 23:53.

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

I was pleased to hear ULTIMA 2LAY correctly pronounced on the BBC News Channel tonight after lots of 2LEE earlier!

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                        I was pleased to hear ULTIMA 2LAY correctly pronounced on the BBC News Channel tonight after lots of 2LEE earlier!
                        Really?

If true, the easy way to remember this is by listening to "Come on Eileen" by Dexy's Midnight Runners.

Too ra loo ra, too ra loo rye aye...etc.

It puts me in mind of a place in Brussels - was it a jazz joint? - called L'ultime Atome.

Which is a pun.

And Andrea Bocelli who was at his best not in opera but in a collection of modern ballads that are so strong one wonders where the writers of them went:

L'ultimo Re from the surprisingly magnificent Cieli di Toscana - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FCosYIeSII

(Don't opt for the other CD of its type which was much more popular - Romance or whatever it is called - it is this one which is "the business" from beginning to end : a revelation)
                        Last edited by Lat-Literal; 02-01-19, 00:15.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Really?

If true, the easy way to remember this is by listening to "Come on Eileen" by Dexy's Midnight Runners.

Too ra loo ra, too ra loo rye aye...etc.
                          Ahem.

and, from Oxford:

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Thank you.

I'm not saying this with any critical edge - he is one of the better presenters and was imo badly treated by the BBC re "Today" for allegedly being too "posh" - but do you think this could be a case of "posh" affectation rather than ignorance? He was either leading in to a discussion with Matthew Parris or already in one so perhaps he was subconsciously trying to impress.
                            Quite possibly. If it was done subconsciously, would this be an example of Sang Freud?

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              Quite possibly. If it was done subconsciously, would this be an example of Sang Freud?

I'm too Jung for this sort of thing, especially in inclement weather.

Erm…….I might need to be spoon fed.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

It puts me in mind of a place in Brussels - was it a jazz joint? - called L'ultime Atome.

Which is a pun.
                                "Is the man in charge here tonight?" "No mate, but if you want him he's probably Atome".

Comment

Working...
                                X