• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... I think an ostentatiously 'correct' foreign pronunciation of a foreign word in the middle of an otherwise English sentence is ungainly. Yes, a nod to the original language is nice - but (I promise not to mention Katie Derham, honest!) - to have the English flow interrupted by a strangulated m'as-tu-vu attempt at sounds not found in the English language draws attention to itself or the speaker and gets in the way of easy absorption.
    - although I must add that the presenter we're not mentioning has an "ostentatiously 'correct'" pronunciation when she (or he) is speaking English, which I find most unattractive.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Munich is different. It's another word (as Regensburg is pronounced Ratisbon in France). I didn't know commentators said Murkle. I suppose they get Angela right? Most of the time?
      Gothenburg is an Anglicisation - Göteborg - Swedish people might call the city (phonetically) YottyBoory, and a very famous tennis player is also called Boory. Another fun one is Gävle which can cause great concern. "Can you tell me the way to Gavel?" "No such place, never heard of it, where do you think it is?" .... "Oh - you mean Yairvler ..."

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

... I quite like the heroic French approach, a cavalier disregard for the original language and just pronounce everything as if it were French. I think we have already had references here to their marvellous attack on 'Ralph Vaughan Williams' ; my particular favourite - when I served in Paris we had regular visits by the then Princess of Wales. Or, as the local French staff called her "la la dee dee"...

Last edited by vinteuil; 16-07-18, 14:18.

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          Gothenburg is an Anglicisation - Göteborg - Swedish people might call the city (phonetically) YottyBoory, and a very famous tennis player is also called Boory. Another fun one is Gävle which can cause great concern. "Can you tell me the way to Gavel?" "No such place, never heard of it, where do you think it is?" .... "Oh - you mean Yairvler ..."

Yes, watching 'The Bridge', with subtitles, you could - occasionally - work out the Swedish/Danish word being used, and marvel at how different the pronunciation is from an English imagining.

and of course Søren Aabye Kierkegaard -

Last edited by vinteuil; 16-07-18, 14:21.

Comment

• gurnemanz
            • Nov 2010

... I quite like the heroic French approach, a cavalier disregard for the original language and just pronounce everything as if it were French. I think we have already had references here to their marvellous attack on 'Ralph Vaughan Williams' ; my particular favourite - when I served in Paris we had regular visits by the then Princess of Wales. Or, as the local French staff called her "la la dee dee"...

They are consistent where the English rather randomly sometimes do and sometimes don't use the original pronunciation. The French say "Mozzaaar" where most English speakers would correctly pronounce that German "z" as "ts". Churchill famously referred to "Nazzies" as a deliberate mark of disrespect. For some reason we tend get composers right, saying eg "Vairdi" not "Vurdi", "Alban Bairg" not "Burrg", but don't feel the need to bother with tennis players even if they are Wimbledon ladies champion. Personally I think it is a matter of politeness to pronounce someone's name the way they pronounce it and would always try to do so.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
              • Aug 2015

It sounds imagined but I am sure I heard Rio Ferdinand say in an early round Lez Blurs.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                • Aug 2015

Nkem Ifejika - "Why I stopped mispronouncing my Igbo name"

I don't like the word "explainers" in this article.

Otherwise.....well, I've been following this newsreader through the night for quite a while now and he is excellent.

The BBC's Nkem Ifejika explains how a language spoken by one of Nigeria's largest ethnic groups, the Igbo, is in danger of dying out.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Totnes in Devon.

According to the older locals, it used to be pronounced with the stress on the first syllable. But in recent years, people have flocked to Totnes and it has become a centre for slightly alternative lifestyles, in an upmarket way. Now many people in the area pronounce it "TotNES", rhyming with "Loch Ness", perhaps in the hope that a new tourist attraction will swim up the River Dart. The new pronunciation irritates some people, whilst others use it as though it has been in general usage since Roman times.

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                    Totnes in Devon.

According to the older locals, it used to be pronounced with the stress on the first syllable. But in recent years, people have flocked to Totnes and it has become a centre for slightly alternative lifestyles, in an upmarket way. Now many people in the area pronounce it "TotNES", rhyming with "Loch Ness", perhaps in the hope that a new tourist attraction will swim up the River Dart. The new pronunciation irritates some people, whilst others use it as though it has been in general usage since Roman times.
                    Well it is a Transition Town.....

Comment

• kernelbogey
                      • Nov 2010

Shrewsbury - variously pronounced in recent news items on the BBC. A female R4 newsreader (I can't remember which one) pronounced this in the traditional way, Shrohsury, while correspondents opted for Shroosbury, as though it were the haunt of many small mammals.

Comment

• LMcD
                        • Sep 2017

I would welcome views/advice on the correct pronunciation of Betws-y-Coed.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                          • May 2011

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                          Shrewsbury - variously pronounced in recent news items on the BBC. A female R4 newsreader (I can't remember which one) pronounced this in the traditional way, Shrohsury, while correspondents opted for Shroosbury, as though it were the haunt of many small mammals.
                          Having lived for 21 years not far from Scrobbesbyrig, I can assure you that Shrewsbury has two 'official' pronunciations. Famously so, in fact. Shroes- and Shroos- are both correct. The irony is that most locals of real Shropshire heritage call it 'Shoes-'.

And the second element is 'Bree'. Shoes-bree.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                            • Nov 2010

Thanks Pabs. I now have permission not to grind my teeth during news items.

On reflection, are these pronunciations in some way class based? Cf Romsey and Rumsey in Hampshire.....

Comment

• Pabmusic
                              • May 2011

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                              Thanks Pabs. I now have permission not to grind my teeth during news items.
                              Glad to have helped.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                                I would welcome views/advice on the correct pronunciation of Betws-y-Coed.
                                I think something like "better see coyed" (but the "see" short) - emphasis on "Coyed"; the rhythm like the opening of the Roobarb & Custard cartoon series theme tune.

I shall now stand back and let bona fide Cymry give the correct details (simultaneously explaining the curious looks I've been given when I've used this pronunciation when in Betws).
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X