• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
    EA's mistake did prompt some musings about what imitations of mortality might be or look like - the tactics used by prey animals to avoid being a predator's next meal perhaps?
    Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    Uh?
    Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
    Come on Alpie. Time to own up …
    Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    What did I say!
    Elizabeth Alker (as mentioned in #1895) not ...

Makes me all the gladder that I didn't go for "Still Making-Progress" as my nom-de-web!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      Elizabeth Alker (as mentioned in #1895) not ...

Makes me all the gladder that I didn't go for "Still Making-Progress" as my nom-de-web!
      Doh. And there I was, thinking those East Anglia number-plates were there for my benefit.

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

On today's edition of Pick Of The Week on Radio 4, the normally reliable Liz Barclay referred repeatedly to French composer Claude Duhboosay.

Comment

• Pabmusic
          • May 2011

Originally posted by gradus View Post
          Mischeevious, Wesminister, Seckertary. Don't really mind but why?
          Mischeevious because the correct form gets confused with devious. Wesminster because the combination 'stm-' is slightly awkward and rather lisping. Seckertary I suspect because of a long history of inverting 're' sounds - as witness 'thrid' becoming 'third'.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
            Seckertary I suspect because of a long history of inverting 're' sounds - as witness 'thrid' becoming 'third'.
            Not sure about that one as it’s clearly cognate with tertius. I think the ‘r’ is just omitted in secketary.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
              On today's edition of Pick Of The Week on Radio 4, the normally reliable Liz Barclay referred repeatedly to French composer Claude Duhboosay.
              Liz BERKlee, surely??

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Mischeevious because the correct form gets confused with devious. Wesminster because the combination 'stm-' is slightly awkward and rather lisping. Seckertary I suspect because of a long history of inverting 're' sounds - as witness 'thrid' becoming 'third'.
                But only in Private Eye inferences to Grauniad misspellings, surely?

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

.. with the distinction that mischeevious is just an error but Wesminister is a standard reduction in informal spoken English where the middle consonant of three is often quite naturally elided: as with postman, Christmas, adjustment, last minute, chestnut, waistcoat etc.

With historical shifts like thrid to third you can often find preshifted forms that have survived either fossilised in dialect (Yorkshire: riding from thriddding) or in another language (modern German: das dritte Reich.)

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

At the council offices today I encountered 'fambly' for family, which presumably is from the same stable as 'chimbley'?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Febyooary is worthy of George Dubya Bush.

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Not sure if I'm right here, but watching tennis recently. Many eastern European ladies (e.g. Russian etc.) have names ending in - ova. This seems often to be pronounced by commentators as "over" with the accent on the first part. Is this correct? Shouldn't it really be more of a throw away - "uva". I would like to know.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                          Not sure if I'm right here, but watching tennis recently. Many eastern European ladies (e.g. Russian etc.) have names ending in - ova. This seems often to be pronounced by commentators as "over" with the accent on the first part. Is this correct? Shouldn't it really be more of a throw away - "uva". I would like to know.
                          Good question. I don't know either though I do seem to recall hearing that Martina NavratilOVa should correctly have been NavraTIlova.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            Good question. I don't know either though I do seem to recall hearing that Martina NavratilOVa should correctly have been NavraTIlova.
                            That's more or less how I thought it should be - with the accent shifted to earlier in the name. A few from yesterday: Ekaterina Makarova, Dominika Cibulková (not sure if the accent on the final a gives a clue - but that's Slovakian, not necessarily the same as Russian ....)

Comment

• subcontrabass
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              The accents should be where they are indicated when the name is spelled correctly: Navrátilová

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                                The accents should be where they are indicated when the name is spelled correctly: Navrátilová

Then there's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqZp0w_Hr7M or https://forvo.com/word/martina_navr%C3%A1tilov%C3%A1/

Comment

Working...
                                X