• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
    During the conversation between Sophie Raworth and Dame Floella Benjamin at the Chelsea Flower Show, the former persisted with "Ca-ribb-ean" while the latter said "Ca-rib-be-an".

I found this disappointing.
    OED, 3rd edition, 2013, gives: Pronunciation: Brit. /ˌkarᵻˈbiːən/ , /kəˈrɪbɪən/ U.S. /ˌkɛrəˈbiən/, /kəˈrɪbiən/
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      OED, 3rd edition, 2013, gives: Pronunciation: Brit. /ˌkarᵻˈbiːən/ , /kəˈrɪbɪən/ U.S. /ˌkɛrəˈbiən/, /kəˈrɪbiən/
      Does that mean Dame Floella Benjamin and I are right?

....oh, actually, she is a Baroness but apart from that error of mine?

Comment

• jean
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

No, it means you are British.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by jean View Post
          No, it means you are British.

But Sophie Raworth is British.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post

But Sophie Raworth is British.
            The OED pronunciations suggest (2013) that both are accepted as 'standard', as they are (with a slight variation in the vowel sounds) in the US. In other words, the stress may be on the second or third syllable. My mother (English) tended to stress the second syllable, while I (English) stress the third, which is now more frequently heard.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

The OED pronunciations suggest (2013) that both are accepted as 'standard', as they are (with a slight variation in the vowel sounds) in the US. In other words, the stress may be on the second or third syllable. My mother (English) tended to stress the second syllable, while I (English) stress the third, which is now more frequently heard.
              I've always placed the stress on the first syllable!

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                I've always placed the stress on the first syllable!
                The OED IPA form gives the first syllable as a secondary stress - ˌkarᵻˈbiːən - the low accent marker precedes the secondary stress, the high accent marker precedes the main stress. So you may be stressing the first syllable, but stressing the third syllable a little bit more? That would be a common pattern with polysyllables.

Comment

• jean
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Is it even possible to stress only the first syllable?

You can do it with some polysyllables - including the controversial controversy.

But that one?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

You can do it with some polysyllables - including the controversial controversy.

But that one?
                    In my case I don't think so. This may be over-compensation, because for a long time I have been reining in on an unfortunate personal tendency to speak over-emphatically, rather like Don Cruikshank, which was brought to my embarrassed attention watching footage of imaginary job interviews during a company workshop, many years ago.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

But that one?
                      Not that one, I'd have thought. Though the Americans manage ˈvɛdərəˌnɛri/ where the British replicate the stress on the initial by virtue of swallowing the second and fourth syllables altogether.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

But that one?
                        I suppose that's comparable with "comparable" (upon which I stress the second syllable).

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                          I suppose that's comparable with "comparable" (upon which I stress the second syllable).
                          ... would you also stress the 'par' syllable (rather than the 'com' one) in 'incomparable'?

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

OED: "Although the correct pronunciation in standard English is with the stress on the first syllable rather than the second (comparable), an alternative pronunciation with the stress on the second syllable (comparable) is gaining in currency."

I won't know for sure if I ever say the latter version until I notice myself spontaneously doing it. These things are quite infectious. Maybe this usage trend is by analogy with comparison. No one ever says "comprsn".

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                              • Aug 2015

I'm with you.

It is how Caribbean people say it.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                                • Aug 2015

To may-oral - mayoral with a pronounced "may" as in Theresa May - we now have may-or also pronounced as in Theresa May.

That was in the news section of a sports service commenting on Mr Burnham.

And, today, in regard to Mr Pellegrini, Chi-lay-an which might be right but I prefer Chilly-un.

Comment

Working...
                                X