Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keraulophone
    • Nov 2010

Our anthem at Evensong yesterday was announced as 'Hake Dees'.

(I didn't enquire how Dee likes hers cooked.)

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Thanks for the factual correction Alain!

As for:
      I must check if Île still requires its circumflexe
      Even if it does, I'd be hard pushed to find one on my computer.

[Thanks in advance for kind offers of help...but life's too short....]

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post

Even if it does, I'd be hard pushed to find one on my computer.

[Thanks in advance for kind offers of help...but life's too short....]
        ... I find copying and pasting from a text that has the necessary accents is the easiest and peasiest

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Yesterday, I visited Teignmouth for the first time. The River Teign is pronounced "Teen", but the town itself is is super-crushed to "Tinmuth". In more northerly places, the same verbal erosion takes place, though Tynemouth is pronounced as written.

Confusing.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            Yesterday, I visited Teignmouth for the first time. The River Teign is pronounced "Teen", but the town itself is is super-crushed to "Tinmuth". In more northerly places, the same verbal erosion takes place, though Tynemouth is pronounced as written.

Confusing.
            Not as bad as Mildenhall (the one in Wiltshire)! Place-names have their own rules.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
              • Aug 2015

Possibly a new low on BBC Radio London's news last night.

Damien Hinds MP pronounced Hinds as in winds that blow.

Twice.

Presumably it wasn't a ten year old with a low IQ.

Time to bring back parrot fashion to fully stimulate the thinking processes.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Links below to a couple of fascinating sites with recordings of now almost extinct rural dialects and accents, recorded back in the 1920s and 1950s. You might want to download or bookmark these.

The first illustrates a Sussex accent. The first thing about it which struck me was an overall similarity with speech patterns still to be found in parts of Dorset, Somerset and north Gloucestershire. I then noted similarities with East Anglian speech: "agoo" for "ago" for instance, but, more unexpectedly, proximities with certain diphthonged vowel pronunciations typical of Ulster and the Tyne/NE area: "peeaper" for "paper'; "steeashun" for "station".

Here's a fascinating 78 rpm 12 inch shellac record "Sussex Dialect" produced in the 1920's by The British Drama League this is from album B of a Four record ...

The second link offers a range of rural speakers from across the country - this one has attracted a lot of disagreements in the commentaries for inaccuracy, non-comprehensiveness and oversimplification, as well as a few US and Canadian contributers. Many of the clips are too short to discern common distinguishing features or difficult to make out, but nevertheless are all of interest.

Recordings of Traditional Accents and Dialects from each county in the South East of England (excluding East Anglia.) Those of speakers reciting the parable...

The next link to a lecture on different accents and speech patterns across the country to recently arrived migrants, one presumes, will raise smiles, though I would expect those here of a West Country disposition to be disappointed that the lecturer avoids any of these, though I would not have thought Bristolian to present too many difficulties.

Did you know that there are over 30 different English accents in England alone? And that's not all. Would you believe there are over a hundred different Engl...
                Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 19-02-18, 17:21.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                  Possibly a new low on BBC Radio London's news last night.

Damien Hinds MP pronounced Hinds as in winds that blow.

Twice.

Presumably it wasn't a ten year old with a low IQ.

Time to bring back parrot fashion to fully stimulate the thinking processes.
                  I do remember an audience member on Any Questions in the 1960s, announcing her name before asking the question. The Presenter (pre-Jonathan Dimbleby) then corrected her pronunciation of her own name. What bare-faced cheek!

Comment

• LMcD
                    • Sep 2017

Our old friend yer anus turned up just before 8.00 a.m. (3Breakfast, or whatever it's called). I didn't wish to upset the young lady by pointing this out to her - perhaps she's required to read this thread as part of her ongoing training....

Comment

• jean
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

...The Presenter (pre-Jonathan Dimbleby) then corrected her pronunciation of her own name. What bare-faced cheek!
                      This happens to J K Rowling all the time.

Comment

• jean
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                        Our old friend yer anus...
                        Nothing wrong with that - it was only changed out of squeamishness.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
                          How does she pronounce her name?

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

How does she pronounce her name?
                            Like Tom Bowling? (Ish)
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• jean
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

(I had to check that, but) Yes. As in boats, not arguments.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                                • May 2011

Originally posted by jean View Post
                                I've recently finished writing a biography of George Butterworth - that's George Sainton Kaye Butterworth - whose second name is invariably pronounced to rhyme with Paignton (R3 and CfM quite often give his name in full). But it was a French name (named for the widow of Prosper Sainton) and pronounced as such. How do I know? Because George has a 1st cousin still living! Clearly they never met, but The cousin knew George's father well, and is very clear that the name was pronounced in the French manner.

I wonder what that means for Philip Sainton, the composer-grandson of Prosper and Charlotte?

Comment

Working...
                                X