Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scottycelt

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    I think you'll find that people in northern England generally pronounce it "skon".
    Well I suppose it depends what you consider 'northern England'. I reside about 12 miles south of Manchester and have very rarely heard a 'skon' mentioned, but have been offered plenty of 'skoans' ... and I don't generally mix with the upper and pretentious middle-classes either.

Not that I wish to provoke any sort of controversy here on this most delicate matter ...

Comment

• Uncle Monty

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      The name pikelet, which only appears in print at the end of the 18th century, is thought to come from a W Midlands corruption of the Welsh term bara pysgyd
      Que?!

I know yow spaik a bit foonay in Brummie -- but I'm at a loss to see how anyone, however corrupt, could get "pikelet" out of that

My day has already been ruined by BBC tv in Bristol -- we went from the Weather ("thuh end of the rain in thuh east") to the Traffic ("thuh earlier accident on thuh A417") to the Local News ("thuh arrangements for the funeral").

Why, oh why, etc.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
        Well I suppose it depends what you consider 'northern England'. I reside about 12 miles south of Manchester and have very rarely heard a 'skon' mentioned, but have been offered plenty of 'skoans' ... and I don't generally mix with the upper and pretentious middle-classes either.

Not that I wish to provoke any sort of controversy here on this most delicate matter ...
        MAybe things have changed around there then. I was brought up in Marple, and it was definitely "skon". It was many years later, at boarding school, where I heard some people saying "skoan".

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

My father's family came from the W. Midlands/Wales but I think in Somerset 'pikelets' was the name used. I never heard them referred to as 'crumpets'. I pictured the word as 'pie-clets'. The OED gives the Welsh form as 'bara pyglyd' which does look convincing.

And on the subject of drop scones (which indeed we often had for high tea or late 'supper', served on a cake-stand with other cakes in Aberdeen, and called 'pancakes'), erm, embarrassingly, I call drop scohns to rhyme with stones . Now there's consistency for you!
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• mercia
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            consistency
            important in the making thereof

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
              "Schedule" on this side of the Atlantic should be pronounced "shed".
              I suppose it depends on which foreign influence one wishes to follow. The word got here via the Old French cédule from either the late medieval Latin scedula or late scheda (there is some considerable debate over which). Apparently the French influenced pronunciation is gaining some ground over The Pond, so it's something of a reciprocal arrangement.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

The OED gives the Welsh form as 'bara pyglyd' which does look convincing.
                My apologies all around (especially to Uncle Monty, if I raised his blood pressure... ) Alan Davidson [Oxford Companion to Food] also has bara pyglyd. I mistranscribed earlier.

re the 'scoan' pronunciation - it might prevail where people have recently learned how to read, and where their pronunciation is influenced by the spelling. This might explain the reported prevalence around Manchester.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Uncle Monty View Post
                  Que?!

I know yow spaik a bit foonay in Brummie -- but I'm at a loss to see how anyone, however corrupt, could get "pikelet" out of that
                  Simples! They dropped the bread and it fell butter side down, so they cast it aside.

Comment

• mercia
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                    it might prevail where people have recently learned how to read ..........This might explain the reported prevalence around Manchester.
                    ouch!

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                      • Nov 2010

Sometimes I despair at the lack of social refinement evinced on these pages.

Luckily there is some advice at hand for those of you who fall short of the best standards --

" Phone for the fish knives, Norman
                      As cook is a little unnerved
                      You kiddies have crumpled the serviettes
                      And I must have things daintily served.

Are the requisites all in the toilet?
                      The frills round the cutlets can wait
                      Till the girl has replenished the cruets
                      And switched on the logs in the grate

It's ever so close in the lounge, dear,
                      But the vestibule's comfy for tea
                      And Howard is out riding on horseback
                      So do come and Take some with me

Now here is a fork for your pastries
                      And do use the couch for your feet;
                      I know what I wanted to ask you-
                      Is trifle sufficient for sweet?

Milk and then just as it comes dear?
                      I'm afraid the preserve's full of stones;
                      Beg pardon, I'm soiling the doilies
                      With afternoon tea-cakes and SCONES.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

If you're going to use verse to demonstrate pronunciation, then consider this:

Loudly let the trumpet bray!
                        Tantantara!
                        Proudly bang the sounding brasses!
                        Tzing! Boom!
                        As upon its lordly way
                        This unique procession passes,
                        Tantantara! Tzing! Boom!
                        Bow, bow, ye lower middle classes!
                        Bow, bow, ye tradesmen, bow, ye masses!
                        Blow the trumpets, bang the brasses!
                        Tantantara! Tzing! Boom!
                        We are peers of highest station,
                        Paragons of legislation,
                        Pillars of the British nation!
                        Tantantara! Tzing! Boom!
                        Take your pick. Is it "brassiz"/"classiz" or "marssiz"?
                        Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 23-02-11, 14:42.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Uncle Monty View Post
                          ("thuh earlier accident on thuh A417")
                          Apart from the 'thuhs' (about which I agree with you), I always get annoyed at every accident having to be an 'earlier' one. Surely they are all by definition earlier, unless we are able to hear the sqealing of tyres in the background of the report.

Mind you, the latter might be preferable to the mindless drumming with which they insist on obscuring the very words we should be wanting to hear.

Comment

• Don Petter

And talking of scons: was anyone else brought up with pikelets for tea? You bought them loose at the bakers so could ask for (as it was in our house) 12 or 15 or 18 &c. I deeply resent having to buy a prepacked packet of 6 "crumpets". I'd heard of crumpets when I was a child but didn't realise that they were what people from elsewhere, like London, called pikelets. In fact, I think oop no'th 'pikelets' are/were slightly bigger and thinner than ours, and that might be the technical distinction. We called them pikelets anyroad, and so did everyone else.
                            ff,

I've read the above several times and I'm still not sure what your crumpets or your pikelets look like.

My upbringing was in Southern Hampshire, with parents from Portsmouth and Chichester, and our pikelets were made at home, with batter dropped on to a hot surface (i.e drop scones). Crumpets were, and are, things you buy in a shop, half an inch thick and full of holes, and then toast in front of the fire.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                              I always get annoyed at every accident having to be an 'earlier' one. Surely they are all by definition earlier, unless we are able to hear the sqealing of tyres in the background of the report.
                              that's a very good point, well made

On the pikelet / crumpet question - yes, I recall from sojourns at Yorkshire grandparents' that pikelets are similar (one brown smooth side, the other pitted with holes) but about half the thickness of your standard 'pack of six' crumpet, and maybe wider by half and inch or so. Melted butter and honey running into all the little holes... Yum yum yum...
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                                • Nov 2010

Eine Alpensinfonie,

If I remember correctly, the D'Oyley Carte chorus seem a bit confused about this on their recording!

Iolanthe is still relevant,

Throughout the years
                                The House of Peers
                                Did nothing in particular,
                                And did it very well!

Comment

Working...
                                X