Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

since the words emigrant and immigrant both end the same way, the sentence in #1 could equally convey (to me) two opposite meanings.

i.e. fewer people have left Scotland to live elsewhere than have left other parts of the UK

I guess the context made it clear.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

I did not hear the use, and therefore the context, of "onlineness", but on reading it "the onlineness of the long distance poster" came to mind.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        I did not hear the use, and therefore the context, of "onlineness", but on reading it "the onlineness of the long distance poster" came to mind.

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

Absolutely Brynliant!

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

I think they should be considered neologisms only when they enter common usage. Anyone can make up a word.

I'd guess 'onlineness' won't (unless it 'trends' after being discussed here ) and 'migranted' may well, especially if it's already in professional jargon. As a sub, I remember painstakingly replacing 'alarmed' (as in 'the car/door/house was alarmed') when it started to appear in journalists' stories. When I came across it more regularly in other places, I decided let it through. And this I took to be the sub-editor's job: to read the story in the way the average newspaper reader would and adjust anything that might puzzle them.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

"Garagesque". Definetly has something of a frenchiness about it.

Good word for an pop album title though!

Sometimes here in this office we get what I describe as "Desky" days.

3VS
              Last edited by Guest; 02-12-11, 12:18. Reason: Inappropiate use of the French language

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                ... when it started to appear in journalists' stories. When I came across it more regularly in other places, I decided let it through.
                OH, so you reversioned your personal guidelines, eh?

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                  • Nov 2010

But 'onlineness' is a very poor word compound. It's not clear what its intent is for one thing.

If I heard that word I would take it to refer to the reliability of one's internet connection, not the extent of a person's interactivity.

As has been suggested, the 'ness'ing of a word is plain lazy. The rot set in in the 50s I think. America of course when it was first used to describe the condition of a being a person called 'Elliot', which of course gave us 'Elliot Ness'!!

Comment

• Chris Newman
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post

As has been suggested, the 'ness'ing of a word is plain lazy. The rot set in in the 50s I think. America of course when it was first used to describe the condition of a being a person called 'Elliot', which of course gave us 'Elliot Ness'!!

I remember being startled in 1963 when my Physics teacher told us "We can begin to weigh the condensate once the steam begins profusing out of the nozzle."

Comment

• ahinton
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post
                      But 'onlineness' is a very poor word compound. It's not clear what its intent is for one thing.

If I heard that word I would take it to refer to the reliability of one's internet connection, not the extent of a person's interactivity.

The rot set in well before that in my native Scotland where a certain monster was persuaded to assume the mantle of lochness.
                      Last edited by ahinton; 02-12-11, 13:12.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post

I remember being startled in 1963 when my Physics teacher told us "We can begin to weigh the condensate once the steam begins profusing out of the nozzle."
                        From my record-selling days, one fond memory: 'Have you got an LP of the 'Impromptludes' by Schubert, please?'

How we all tried soooo hard not to laugh

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

"Tasked" seems to annoy me
                          but not sure that it should ???

Comment

• mangerton
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                            "Tasked" seems to annoy me
                            but not sure that it should ???
                            My yardstick tends to be the COD which I got as a school prize in 1962. Interestingly, it gives "task" as a noun and transitive verb, but like you it's not a usage I'm very keen on.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

OH, so you reversioned your personal guidelines, eh?
                              Only thing to do with language usage, Bryn.

But there's a difference between 'accepting' certain usages and using them oneself. I maintain a very standard, colourless vocabulary because I always feel that introducing the latest words and phrases is sending out a message that one is ultra cool. Which I'm not . Hmmm, don't think I've used that emoticon before - I'll be joining Twitter next ....
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                                But there's a difference between 'accepting' certain usages and using them oneself.
                                Ah, the distinction I remember from my Linguistics tutorials - between "competence" and "performance". That's something I haven't thought much about for the last forty years! ...

Comment

Working...
                                X