X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mangerton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    .... watching Gentlemen Prefer Blondes today reminded me of the Bob Hope line - ' "culture" is the ability to describe Jane Russell without moving your hands.'

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by gradus View Post
      .... There is also a passage in Schumann 4 that sounds (to me) like it was the inspiration for the distinctive rhythm of the trio of the second movt of Tchaik's 3rd orchestral suite
      which is far from unlikely, given Tchaikovsky's admiration for Schumann

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        .... watching Gentlemen Prefer Blondes today reminded me of the Bob Hope line - ' "culture" is the ability to describe Jane Russell without moving your hands.'

Ah dear Bob Hope - I wonder who wrote that line for him

Comment

• JanH

Originally posted by salymap View Post
          One I am glad to remember. I doubt you young things have heard of Richard Murdoch and Kenneth Horne but in 'Much Binding in the Marsh' a programme about the RAF in wartime, Murdoch sang very funny words to Luigini's 'Egyptian Ballet'. Every week there was a different piece of music and as a kid I loved them all.
          Sam Costa was the third member of the team. Radio of course.
          "Much Binding........ That was very entertaining/funny, do you remember Dick Barton Special Agent? i used to run home from school in order not to miss it. also remember being banished to the kitchen to listen to the Goon Show...... No one else wanted to hear it. Ah happy radio days of long past.....

JanH.

Comment

• salymap
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by JanH View Post
            "Much Binding........ That was very entertaining/funny, do you remember Dick Barton Special A
            gent? i used to run home from school in order not to miss it. also remember being banished to the kitchen to listen to the Goon Show...... No one else wanted to hear it. Ah happy radio days of long past.....

JanH.
            Yes JanH and sometimes the pictures in our heads were better than TV wss later.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

The slow movement opening theme of Rachmaninov PC 4 resembles "Two Lovely Black Eyes" - this just occurred to me listening to COTW!

Comment

• Tony Halstead
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                The slow movement opening theme of Rachmaninov PC 4 resembles "Two Lovely Black Eyes" - this just occurred to me listening to COTW!
                As does the theme of the 3rd movement of the Sinfonia Concertante in C for flute, oboe, violin and cello (soloists) by the sadly undervalued youngest of J S Bach's sons, JOHANN CHRISTIAN.
                Last edited by Tony Halstead; 25-10-12, 19:07. Reason: grammar

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

This was pointed out to me twenty years ago and is responsible for me never having been able to take the piece seriously. As I am a Rach-fan, I hate that and it's why I avoid learning of such similarities. I once had to wrestle someone to the ground - almost - to stop them telling me some tin-pan-alley similarities in Walton 1 - which I do NOT want spoilt as Rach 4 was so long ago (and a number of other pieces likewise)

"...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Hornspieler
                    Late Member
                    • Sep 2012

I mentioned this in my message #11 on the BSO - Prokofiev thread on 11th October and was immediately contradicted by someone who said " ... we know(the italics are mine) that Rachmaninoff was concerned that this phrase resembled the opening of Schumann's Piano concerto"

Stuff and Nonsense! The phrase is nothing like the opening of the Schumann piano concerto

This was a traditional melody to which the English music hall artist, Charles Coburn, set words in 1886 and achieved fame by so doing.

These coincidences occur from time to time (there are only so many combinations of a series of notes) but the song was well known before Rachmaninoff wrote his 4th concerto and it could have just lingered in his memory, as many popular songs do.

HS

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

oh goody, I like soundalikees..though, i have never had a favourite piece ruined as Caliban has, so perhaps we should keep off.
                      I "discovered " one recently, which I posted elsewhere, if anybody is interested?

No?
                      Ok, fair do's !
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• salymap
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        This was pointed out to me twenty years ago and is responsible for me never having been able to take the piece seriously. As I am a Rach-fan, I hate that and it's why I avoid learning of such similarities. I once had to wrestle someone to the ground - almost - to stop them telling me some tin-pan-alley similarities in Walton 1 - which I do NOT want spoilt as Rach 4 was so long ago (and a number of other pieces likewise)

If you are a Rach fan Cali did you hear the great man playing in his Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini on Tuesday's Cotw. Recorded in 1934, it souned wonderful on R3 but dreadful on my TV hard drive when I recorded it?

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
                          I mentioned this in my message #11 on the BSO - Prokofiev thread on 11th October and was immediately contradicted by someone who said " ... we know(the italics are mine) that Rachmaninoff was concerned that this phrase resembled the opening of Schumann's Piano concerto"

Stuff and Nonsense! The phrase is nothing like the opening of the Schumann piano concerto

This was a traditional melody to which the English music hall artist, Charles Coburn, set words in 1886 and achieved fame by so doing.

These coincidences occur from time to time (there are only so many combinations of a series of notes) but the song was well known before Rachmaninoff wrote his 4th concerto and it could have just lingered in his memory, as many popular songs do.

HS
                          Bit late to the table there HS :

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            oh goody, I like soundalikees..though, i have never had a favourite piece ruined as Caliban has, so perhaps we should keep off.
                            I "discovered " one recently, which I posted elsewhere, if anybody is interested?

No?
                            Ok, fair do's !

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                              If you are a Rach fan Cali did you hear the great man playing in his Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini on Tuesday's Cotw. Recorded in 1934, it souned wonderful on R3 but dreadful on my TV hard drive when I recorded it?
                              I did! I have it on CD anyway, but happened to be cycling home and it accompanied me on the earphones in the Parks... the crackle was lost in the ambient traffic noise and the playing shone through as fantastic - especially rhythmically exciting!

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

is that a considered "No", then?

(I promise not to mention it if you are a fan of Chicken Shack !!)
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X