• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

This is the Telegraph version.

My guess is that a solution will be found, based on the organ pipes case. That was also a 'health and safety issue'. But the relevant officials have a pretty fair idea of why the regulations are being drawn up and where the risks are likely to lie. Special cases (like gut strings) may well fall outside those regulations - organ pipes, for example, were exempted because they were not 'consumer goods' and one aim was to prevent the mass dumping of electronic equipment as consumers replaced their old equipment.

(It must be cow/beef gut or there wouldn't be a risk of BSE)
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• John Skelton

Mr GongGong
      I always thought it was sheep gut !

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      You are quite correct, but you can't expect the simple-minded Daily Mail to know of such things.
      Not correct, though. (From 'strinasacchi' at R3OK)

Cow gut is longer and stronger than sheep/goat, and essential for making cello/bass strings. I've played both sheep and cow violin strings, and they do make a different sound and react differently to temperature and so on. And I know there are always some compromises when it comes to historical "authenticity", but cow gut has always been an essential ingredient.

The story was in the Daily Mail. And in the Telegraph. It was in The Guardian back in 2006 (linked to by scottycelt). Since the Guardian story a problem with supplies from Argentina and Australia (certified BSE free) has brought the consequences of EU regulations relating to beef and cattle post-BSE in this doubtless obscure and peripheral aspect to a critical point. It has been reported in Germany and Belgium that I know of. Just because the Daily Mail printed the story doubtless for its own reasons isn't a reason to decide it isn't worth bothering with. It is worth bothering with if you care about period instrument music and the string players who play that music.

There's a petition* here http://www.petizionionline.it/petizi...sicale/5598%5D. Please, please, look beyond the Daily Mail and consider signing it. Signing it does not make someone a 'Eurosceptic'. The Daily Mail is hardly going to run a get out of Europe campaign on the back of widespread outrage at the disappearance of gut strings for period 'cellos, is it?

*If you don't read Italian putting the text into a translation programme will give the gist.
      Last edited by Guest; 29-11-11, 08:16. Reason: Added reference.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        I'll be moving the discussion about herbal remedies to a separate thread in a minute.
        good move, I need to take an aspirin, can do that as you shift the thread !!
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• amateur51

Forgive me if this is way off, but I thought the issue with BSE was that humans should avoid injesting the BSE prions found in neural tissue of infected cows. The problem arises when such tissue is amalgamated into uninfected matter such as muscle and connective tissuie in forms such as burgers, sausages, pie fillings etc.

Is there any established connection (i.e., reported and investigated cases) between use of cow gut in musical strings and BSE in humans?

Comment

• Old Grumpy
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            Forgive me if this is way off, but I thought the issue with BSE was that humans should avoid injesting the BSE prions found in neural tissue of infected cows. The problem arises when such tissue is amalgamated into uninfected matter such as muscle and connective tissuie in forms such as burgers, sausages, pie fillings etc.

Is there any established connection (i.e., reported and investigated cases) between use of cow gut in musical strings and BSE in humans?
            I don't know, but you can certainly find vCJD prion in appendix and tonsil.

In any case it would appear that a solution has been found and production will recommence, albeit with stricter controls.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Crumbs! Result!

??
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Crumbs! Result!

??
                And, ahem, from Rome, rather than Brussels, eh?

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  And, ahem, from Rome, rather than Brussels, eh?
                  Indeed, Bryn. Just as the organ pipe problem was solved in London.

Comment

• John Skelton

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                    In any case it would appear that a solution has been found and production will recommence, albeit with stricter controls.
                    That is good news. France previously granted the same exemption, but after Société Française de Corde en Boyaux closed down.

Whether there are ways for the EU to simplify the process of local granting of exemptions etc. only Brussels knows, perhaps? It does seem to involve a great deal of multiplication of function, with attendant confusion.

Comment

• John Skelton

Indeed, Bryn. Just as the organ pipe problem was solved in London.
                      And created somewhere else . How many levels of administration are actually necessary? (a Europhile asks).

Comment

• Flosshilde
                        • Nov 2010

Is the above what's called having your cake and eating it?

Comment

• scottycelt

Well, now would you believe it ... ?

Next EU scandal, please ...

Comment

• John Skelton

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                            Is the above what's called having your cake and eating it?
                            Almost certainly . It does seem fantastically complicated, though.

Comment

• Chris Newman
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

It was nonsense anyway. We happily eat beef gut sausage casing in better quality meat sausages.

Comment

• John Skelton

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                                Well, now would you believe it ... ?

Next EU scandal, please ...
                                Who, here, said it was an "EU scandal"? That was your interest in the story. Please quote a single comment saying it was an "EU scandal."

Comment

Working...
                                X