• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by johnb View Post
    Going a little off topic - one of the things that amazed me when I moved to Bristol in 1967 was the shear number of shops roasting (and grinding) coffee on site. There were at least three within 500 yards of where I first lived. Besides those, Cowardines had a string of shops all over the city which roasted and ground a very wide range of coffee beans on site at each shop and also sold a very wide range of teas - all of which they imported.

Very sadly, that has all totally disappeared. Such a pity!
    Within walking distance of you is Twodays on St Michael's Hill, roasting daily. Brian Wogan supplies many of the local shops, and is Bristol-based, and Martin Carwardine now runs the family business down on the Mendips, near Burrington.

I agree, though, the days when Carwardines had their coffee roasting in the shops are over - though Twodays seem pretty much the same idea. I'm not sure which bit of St Michael's Hill they're on.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• johnb
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Within walking distance of you is Twodays on St Michael's Hill, roasting daily. Brian Wogan supplies many of the local shops, and is Bristol-based, and Martin Carwardine now runs the family business down on the Mendips, near Burrington.

I agree, though, the days when Carwardines had their coffee roasting in the shops are over - though Twodays seem pretty much the same idea. I'm not sure which bit of St Michael's Hill they're on.
      Thanks for the information about Twodays. That makes one shop still remaining from the countless number in the 60s. (I don't think Brian Wogan is really comparable.)

I've wondered whether the decline of onsite roasting (often in the front window with the outlet onto the pavement - giving that wonderful aroma as you walked by) might have had something to do with Health and Safety restrictions.

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Stokes in Lincoln still does onsite roasting
        as does this wonderful little place

Covent Garden, The Borough, Spa Terminus. We sell whole-bean and ground coffee, alongside ceramic filter cones, filter papers and other accessories. All our coffees are available to sample in our shops.

Comment

• PatrickOD

If you're ever in Dublin and you fancy an outrageously sticky bun and a cup of coffee try Bewleys in Grafton Street.

Shop Bewley's tea & coffee online and enjoy sustainable Fairtrade products roasted locally in Ireland. We are Ireland's finest tea & coffee producer with over 180 years of experience. Shop our range of ground, whole bean and coffee capsules or see our huge range of teas, both delicious black & speciality teas.

Comment

• Flosshilde
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            Ask them to make it not too hot. Nine times out of ten, these places make the coffee far too hot - as
            Really? Usually it's the other way round - the coffee is served up barely lukewarm. They're all scared of people suing if it's the slightest bit hot - the poor dears might feel a little discomfort.

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by barber olly View Post
              First find your Waitrose, nearest over 50 miles away!
              The biggest waitrose in Scotland is just down the road from me (Actually, I think there's only about 3 Waitroses in Scotland). It's in Newton Mearns (& Scotty will know how significant that is).

But I'll still carry on buying Fairtrade coffee from the down-market supermarket.

Comment

• Pilchardman

Originally posted by PatrickOD View Post
                If you're ever in Dublin and you fancy an outrageously sticky bun and a cup of coffee try Bewleys in Grafton Street.

http://bewleys.com/bewleys-grafton-street-cafe
                I love Bewley's in Grafton Street.

I have special affection for it, because it was in the toilet there that the Missus did a pregnancy test (bought from the Boots opposite) and discovered she was pregnant with our second daughter, after years of trying and late miscarriage in between our eldest and her. So yey for Bewley's.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Did coffee drinkers spot this yesterday? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-15968515

This is a link to the report (you have to go through a free sign-up): http://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/artic.../fo/c1fo10240k
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Alison
                    • Nov 2010

Just off to Costa and am going to plan in some Ravel listening today !

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                      Just off to Costa and am going to plan in some Ravel listening today !

I just had an espresso listening to the first movement of the Ravel Piano Trio!!

Enjoy, Alison!
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Mr Pee
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Curalach View Post
                        Somewhat off topic, but at home I am a great fan of the Nespresso system. Perfect espresso every time with minimum fuss.
                        I agree- an excellent and fuss-free way to get great coffee at home!!

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

I just had an espresso listening to the first movement of the Ravel Piano Trio!!

Enjoy, Alison!
                          That music is currently spinning around in my head, the Previn version
                          Last edited by Guest; 02-12-11, 11:09.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                            The biggest waitrose in Scotland is just down the road from me (Actually, I think there's only about 3 Waitroses in Scotland). It's in Newton Mearns (& Scotty will know how significant that is).

But I'll still carry on buying Fairtrade coffee from the down-market supermarket.

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• barber olly

Ravel and a decent cup of coffee - Sonatine, Introduction & Allegro and the Pavane (piano version) sounds about the right mix.

Comment

• Alison
                                • Nov 2010

An all day breakfast roll and a medium gingerbread latte.

Has anyone ever heard drinks being ordered using the Costa-speak sizes ?

Comment

Working...
                                X