• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... yes, but what value can we put on the judgment of someone who openly declares a preference for, ahem, "Milka" -
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      After mixing and matching, I get a 50-50 mix of their Santos&Java with another darker bean: currently I mix in their Espresso bean
      Lovely! But us lesser Provincial mortals have only the choice (unless buying online I guess) of something that is readily available in a supermarket.

Pilchardman: My mum always used to use an Italian stovetop, but as I have a halogen hob I can't use one.

Patrick: For instant I use Nescafe Collection Espresso 100% Arabica, which hits the spot.

Comment

• Pilchardman

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        Pilchardman: My mum always used to use an Italian stovetop, but as I have a halogen hob I can't use one.
        Really? Good lord, I'll never buy one of them, then.

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

... as I have a halogen hob I can't use one.

That's bad. Do they alert you to this when you buy a cooker with halogen hobs {"Well, as you can see it's lovely an' shiny, an' it looks well pretty when it's turned on... (sotto voce) - don't expect to be able to use a coffee maker on it tho', nah, can't do that... "}

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

Well we may have been risking the wrath of the health and safety gods but we used an italian pot and
            halogen cooker combination for years ...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

an Italian stovetop, but as I have a halogen hob I can't use one.

Same here Anna...
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
                Well we may have been risking the wrath of the health and safety gods but we used an italian pot and halogen cooker combination for years ...
                Really? Without a diffuser? To be honest, I can't logically see why you can't because, when push comes to shove, what's the difference between a stove top coffee maker and a saucepan? <baffled emoticon>
                Last edited by Guest; 26-11-11, 16:41. Reason: postrophe

Comment

• Pilchardman

Really? Without a diffuser? To be honest, I can't logically see why you can't because, when push comes to shove, what the difference between a stove top coffee maker and a saucepan? <baffled emoticon?
                  That's what I was wondering. I thought maybe those were banned, too.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                    • Nov 2010

Our high street in this little town has a sweet independent coffee bar. Next door is a newly opened deli serving coffee. There's another deli at the end of the street. Now Costa is taking over an empty shop, reportedly: this will destroy at least one and perhaps two of these. Another nail in the coffin of a traditional high street.

All the big chains follow a model of coffee-making which, I believe, emerged from Seattle. They take ages to make a bucket of indifferent coffee. In Italy you get an espresso within less than a minute of ordering, for about €1: a cappuccino takes only a little longer, is small, piping hot and full of flavour. No one in Italy would be seen dead drinking a cappuccino after noon.

They're almost worth flying over for the day to drink....

Comment

• Biffo

I haven't been to Pret a Manger for years, not since I worked in the City. I found their sandwiches revolting; each one had 93 fresh ingredients, result - they all tasted the same.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by PatrickOD View Post
                        Being an instant connoisseur I find that for home use the best bet is the blend I get in Lidl - 'Granaroma' - delicious. And it's half the price
                        Absolutely - we swear by Lidl's Granaroma. Great value and taste.

And when we want to use the cafetiere, we use one of Lidl's vacuum packs (currently 'Melangerie' Guatemala-Kenya-Columbia I see) - also much cheaper than elsewhere.

Comment

• johnb
                          • Mar 2007

The coffee I use at home is usually Waitrose "Monsooned Malabar" or Waitrose "Sumatra Mandheling" with forays into other types in between.

I don't really enjoy expresso so I always use a cafetiere.

By the way, the coffees sold by the coffee shop that vinteuil recommended look very alluring .... I'm tempted.

Comment

• johnb
                            • Mar 2007

Going a little off topic - one of the things that amazed me when I moved to Bristol in 1967 was the shear number of shops roasting (and grinding) coffee on site. There were at least three within 500 yards of where I first lived. Besides those, Cowardines had a string of shops all over the city which roasted and ground a very wide range of coffee beans on site at each shop and also sold a very wide range of teas - all of which they imported.

Very sadly, that has all totally disappeared. Such a pity!

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
                              >>>On Saturday, protesters picketed the unopened coffee shop claiming it would undercut independent cafes in the area, while Bristol West MP Stephen Williams has also written to the firm.

I've never seen ' Costa ' and 'undercut ' in the same world before ...
                              Not so much 'undercut' as take their business, I'd have thought. It's an 80-seat place which probably makes it the biggest on the street because most of the little café-bars have 20-30 maximum. My favourite seats about 12-15 or fewer. I expect if they have their own character (mine is run by a French chef-pâtissier who does all his own baking, including what I think are the best croissants locally) they'll be all right. The local bakers saw Greggs off last year
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• barber olly

Originally posted by johnb View Post
                                The coffee I use at home is usually Waitrose "Monsooned Malabar" or Waitrose "Sumatra Mandheling" with forays into other types in between.
                                First find your Waitrose, nearest over 50 miles away!

Comment

Working...
                                X