Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

calabresse - you poor benighted heathen...

This blissful beverage that elicits instant effervescent happiness is simple enough in its composition but incredibly difficult to describe exactly how delicious and uniquely flavored it truly is.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      ... well, sometimes I prefer a galão...
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWqqsVFXbUE

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Looks like trouble in my shopping street. We're not too keen on chains here ... . I hadn't noticed it had opened - where's me banner

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          I suddenly have a completely different mental image of wor vinny! Maracas and all! Maybe only on weekends, eh vinhoverde??

(I was in the stalls that night, ams! The Lenny-Christa snog-fest at the end of that clip made me cry!)
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• hackneyvi

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            Have you asked for a Flat White?

In the modern nomenclature, that does it for me. No foam. Just warmed milk into your coffee. Ask them to make it not too hot. Nine times out of ten, these places make the coffee far too hot - as you say, scalded and scorched. Nothing ****s the taste of coffee like overheating it - it's also dangerous on the tongue. I ask for the milk 'warm, not hot' - it's usually just right.
            Oh! ... so that's what a flat white is ...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hackneyvi View Post
              Oh! ... so that's what a flat white is ...

give it a try. might hit the spot!

Comment

• hackneyvi

give it a try. might hit the spot!
                I am much obliged.

Comment

• johnb
                  • Mar 2007

I rarely use coffee 'houses' but some time ago I bought a pack of Starbuck's coffee beans in Tescos. I always drink 'real' coffee at home and the Starbucks blend that I tried was by far the worst coffee I have drunk in a decade.

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

... I have to say that for home use my default for the last ten years has been the lavazza espresso 100% arabica ground coffee (the black, rather than the gold or the red ). And I'm very happy with it... [unsolicited testimonial]

Comment

• Anna

I was going to ask, but vints has rather anticipated my query, which is the make of coffee you use at home (Lavazza has always been my main choice) this is bearing in mind some of us don't have the full swanky black and chrome gear to enable us to froth and squirt

Comment

• Pilchardman

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                        I was going to ask, but vints has rather anticipated my query, which is the make of coffee you use at home (Lavazza has always been my main choice) this is bearing in mind some of us don't have the full swanky black and chrome gear to enable us to froth and squirt
                        My favourite is Bei & Nannini. But it comes at a premium, so I usually use Lavazza, and have B&N for treats.

I use a stove top Bialetti, with fine grinds, lightly tamped.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Hi Anna! I mentioned somewhere I think that Whittards is where I've got mine for the last 10 years http://www.whittard.co.uk/coffee/coffee-beans

After mixing and matching, I get a 50-50 mix of their Santos&Java with another darker bean: currently I mix in their Espresso bean (previously for years I had half Santos&Java, half Café Français). It's rich and dark and nutty with no bitterness at all

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

ff,

>>>On Saturday, protesters picketed the unopened coffee shop claiming it would undercut independent cafes in the area, while Bristol West MP Stephen Williams has also written to the firm.

I've never seen ' Costa ' and 'undercut ' in the same world before ...

And I'll add my name to the Lavazza lobby.

Best value kitchen appliance I know :

( See also, Pilchardman, above )

Further reading.
                            stovetop coffee maker, stovetop espresso maker, italian style coffee maker, espresso, italian espresso, italian coffee, espresso coffee, caffe, expresso, coffee maker, mokka coffee pot, moka coffee maker, espresso machine, espresso maker, espresso coffee machine, espresso coffee maker, aluminium coffee maker
                            Last edited by Guest; 26-11-11, 16:22.

Comment

• PatrickOD

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                              the full swanky black and chrome gear
                              My kettle has some chrome and black bits. Being an instant connoisseur I find that for home use the best bet is the blend I get in Lidl - 'Granaroma' - delicious. And it's half the price

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

Hi Anna! I mentioned somewhere I think that Whittards is where I've got mine for the last 10 years http://www.whittard.co.uk/coffee/coffee-beans

After mixing and matching, I get a 50-50 mix of their Santos&Java with another darker bean: currently I mix in their Espresso bean (previously for years I had half Santos&Java, half Café Français). It's rich and dark and nutty with no bitterness at all
                                ... yes, but what value can we put on the judgment of someone who openly declares a preference for, ahem, "Milka" -

I'm a Milka man myself (Or those red-wrapped Lindt "Lindor" balls. Amazing )

Comment

Working...
                                X