EastEnders. I don't believe I'm saying this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flay
    • Mar 2007

EastEnders. I don't believe I'm saying this...

I confess to having watched EastEnders last night, and found it unusually powerful episode.

Max returns to Walford just as Tanya teeters on the brink of self-destruction - but will Max discover the truth? Cora and Rainie are left reeling by a terrible revelation.

Dare I say that I could feel the spirit of Pinter there. Especially with the Derek Branning character.

Go on, shoot me down. I can take it!
    Pacta sunt servanda !!!
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Flay View Post
    I confess to having watched EastEnders last night, and found it unusually powerful episode.

Max returns to Walford just as Tanya teeters on the brink of self-destruction - but will Max discover the truth? Cora and Rainie are left reeling by a terrible revelation.

Go on, shoot me down. I can take it!
    Could not do that without watching it myself, and I have no intention of doing that.

Comment

• Flay
      • Mar 2007

Go on, Bryn, you know you want to. Just a peep, just a squint.
      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Norfolk Born

(To paraphrase another Forum member on another thread)
        ..and I thought this Forum was set up as a means of communication for Corrie fans!

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
          (To paraphrase another Forum member on another thread)
          ..and I thought this Forum was set up as a means of communication for Corrie fans!

... corrie, eastenders, abba -

who said that Roger Wright wd have a difficult task levelling the Third Programme down to a lowest common denominator??

Comment

• Anna

Well, I saw that episode last night (whilst waiting for MasterChef to start) and I'm afraid to say, that whilst Pinter didn't enter my head, I agree with Flay that it was an extremely compelling piece of drama and in particular Derek Branning (although how he comes into the storyline I have no idea) If EE could get rid of some of the cardboard cutout characters (the half-wit Moons for example) it could go back to being really good viewing.

Comment

• Flay
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              ... corrie, eastenders, abba -

who said that Roger Wright wd have a difficult task levelling the Third Programme down to a lowest common denominator??

Right there. Down there in the litter, mud and rubble.

I say it again, I thought it exceptional (which does not imply any other episode is good). Go on, 'ave a butcher's.
              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• old khayyam

i have a theory along the lines of EE maintaining a perfectly even level of mundanity while the viewer fluctuates above and below various levels of susceptibility. That is, we just get sucked into it when at a low ebb.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by old khayyam View Post
                  i have a theory along the lines of EE maintaining a perfectly even level of mundanity while the viewer fluctuates above and below various levels of susceptibility. That is, we just get sucked into it when at a low ebb.
                  Not sure about being sucked into it when at low ebb or do you mean when the storyline mirrors your present circumstances in real life so you identify with it more?) but the majority of soaps are, by their very name, mundane, day to day life (talking about mundane, why does The Archers have such a huge audience?)

I tried watching Corrie on the recommendation of members here, I found the characters unsympathetic apart from Dennis Tanner and Stephanie Cole's one liners which lift the programme

Comment

• Chris Newman
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                    Not sure about being sucked into it when at low ebb or do you mean when the storyline mirrors your present circumstances in real life so you identify with it more?) but the majority of soaps are, by their very name, mundane, day to day life (talking about mundane, why does The Archers have such a huge audience?)

I tried watching Corrie on the recommendation of members here, I found the characters unsympathetic apart from Dennis Tanner and Stephanie Cole's one liners which lift the programme
                    Don't tell me my beloved Stephanie Cole has been sucked into the vortex.

Mind you, she played Diana Trent when she was only in her forties.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
                      Don't tell me my beloved Stephanie Cole has been sucked into the vortex. :steam
                      Yes, she's Roy's Mum (he's married to Hayley, a trans-sexual) She is very good, with withering put-downs. Someone told me sometime ago about a programme she was in with Graham Crowden (?) years back called Waiting for God, that was very good (it's on YouTube)

Comment

• Chris Newman
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Yes, she's Roy's Mum (he's married to Hayley, a trans-sexual) She is very good, with withering put-downs. Someone told me sometime ago about a programme she was in with Graham Crowden (?) years back called Waiting for God, that was very good (it's on YouTube)
                        Yes, I have it on DVD. 1991 it began, and Steph was playing a late sixties (her age) old fire-breathing dragon. Hilarious. That is how I want to be when I am old. And the extras are outrageous: Graham Crowden's daughter-in-law is foul, the owner of the OAP home is devious and creepy (just like David Cameron) and Basil Makepeace, an 80 year old pervert, is delightful. I thoroughly recommend it.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Anna - would you like me to keep you informed of what happens when she meets (and probably falls for) Robert Vaughan (yes, the Robert Vaughan from 'The Man From U.N.C.L.E' and 'Hustle')?

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                            Anna - would you like me to keep you informed of what happens when she meets (and probably falls for) Robert Vaughan (yes, the Robert Vaughan from 'The Man From U.N.C.L.E' and 'Hustle')?
                            Errm, what are they doing, importing cheesey old Amercian actors, is this just to boost ratings? Oh, I got it G.I. from the War? And he's really Roy's Dad?

Comment

• Pilchardman

Corrie beats Eastenders hands down. Even if Corrie is going through a poor spell atm. Ken Barlow is a Radio 3 listener, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X