What are your favourite / current loo-side books?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don Petter

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    I have neither a bookcase nor a lectern (does the eagle frighten people?) All I have is a Burmese bronze urn on the windowledge.
    Oh no! An eagle would be far too ostentatious - it's just an everyday lectern of plain pegged wooden construction, rather puritan, really.

I'm slightly jealous of your urn, though if we had one we wouldn't be able to watch the spotted woodpeckers on the peanut feeder hanging from the window frame.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by PatrickOD View Post
      God be with the innocent days when I was fascinated by the reading material available in the public loos, not to mention the art galleries.
      Here's a *clean* graffito from a trendy pub in Hampstead:

MORE WOMEN TRAIN DRIVERS!

and underneath, someone has scribbled:

"A woman's right to choo-choos"

Comment

• Ferretfancy
        • Nov 2010

I was with a friend of mine visiting Hitler's so called Eagle's Nest above the Berghof . Apparently he only went there once, it was built for him as a 50th birthday gift.
        It's now a tourist viewpoint, but as my friend was looking round a bit off limits he discovered a very small room with a beautifully fitted out toilet in brass and mahogany, specially reserved for the Fuhrer himself!
        Mike decided to take a seat, but unfortunately he did not have a copy of Mein Kampff to leave for the next visitor.

Comment

• Mr Pee
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
          I once ran a music rehearsal in the "Royal Retiring Rooms" at the Albert Hall, we all took it in turns to "have a go" on the Queens Toilet (steady on folks )
          and sadly it was only afterwards that I had the idea of leaving a copy of the Beano in there !

(before the refurb, the Royal Box had the only disabled toilet on level 5 of the RFH which caused much amusement amongst some folks !)
          What a small world, Mr GG. I too have had a go upon the Royal Lavatorium at the RAH, during Festival of Remembrance rehearsals. One has to do something to pass the time while the Royal Navy try to remember how to march properly......
          Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• scottycelt

Ladies & Gentlemen, would you please now all arise and raise a seat to our latest arrival, Mr Pee ...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
              Ladies & Gentlemen, would you please now all arise and raise a seat to our latest arrival, Mr Pee ...
              GENTLEMEN RAISE THE SEAT

Notice in train loos when I were a nipper. As Jonathan Miller asked in "Beyond the Fringe": "What is this? A sociological definition or a description of a gentleman? Or perhaps it's a loyal toast?"

Comment

• scottycelt

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  hmmm. I have to say - that were I a bog reader - Am's choices have the edge on Rob's.

Sorry, Rob. I just don't 'get' Vaughan Williams. Or indeed "English Music" more generally...
                  My dear old mum used to have a saying "it wouldn't do for us all to like the same things".

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                    ... fairly easily available from sources such as abebooks.com. There is a nice little Oxford pocket sized edn of selections (also a paperback), for a couple of quid

Ordered Thanks vindetable and MickyD !!
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                      WOh, and to be totally mundane, a bottle of Asda thick bleach (pink)
                      How typically thoughtful Anna!

A little something to dab behind the ears?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

A little something to dab behind the ears?

Naughty!!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

hi tech
                          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                            Clearly invented by the floor cleaning & hygiene industry.

Most men can't multi-task effectively, particularly when they have their favourite toy in their hand

Comment

• amateur51

Lordy, The Grauniad's onto us!

Ian Sample: Filthy habit or blameless bliss? A public health study by Ron Shaoul lifts the lid on toilet reading once and for all

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

Incidentally, vinteuil and others who mentioned it: my copy of Parson Woodforde's diary (the Oxford selection edition, 65p for a very nice copy from abebooks, postage twice the price of the book but still less than a posh pint ) arrived this week. Thanks for the recommendation folks!

Naturally, it is in position in Caliban's Khazi!!

Comment

Working...
                                X