Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EdgeleyRob
    • Nov 2010

The Grieg piano and Mendelssohn violin concertos never lose their magic for me.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
      The Grieg piano and Mendelssohn violin concertos never lose their magic for me.
      Not sure "warhorse" is the right word but I took Felix's 'Midsummer Night's Dream' pieces off the shelf today - talk about 'evergreen'... I don't think I'll ever get tired of the 'Nocturne'
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• JFLL
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        Not sure "warhorse" is the right word but I took Felix's 'Midsummer Night's Dream' pieces off the shelf today - talk about 'evergreen'... I don't think I'll ever get tired of the 'Nocturne'
        I’m not sure why, but I always think of romantic piano concertos as archetypal ‘warhorses’, rather than, say, any overexposed piece like Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, which is surely too dainty to be a warhorse. The classic for me is Tchaikovsky PC 1 – the opening suggesting someone trying with difficulty to control a huge steed in the thick of battle (rather like the one poor old Richard III had to do without).

Comment

• salymap
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

I nearly always enjoy Overtures. Perhaps it's my elderly attention span, but the Berlioz overtures, well played, are always welcome here. If warhorses, they are pedigree horses. The same with Zampa, Light Cavalry, etc.

Comment

Working...
          X