X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

I never tire [what never? WEll, hardly ever], of good Overtures. Berlioz, Rossini, Mozart, etc&, bring 'em on. 'William Tell' never fails to amuse me although it is certainly a real warhorse.
    I hope it doesn't mean my attention span has shortened, but they mostly contain so much good music.

I never tire of the Mozart PCs and Dvorak Symphonies either. lots more really.

Comment

• ostuni
      • Nov 2010

Interesting point that Simon B makes (#13) about overfamiliar pieces and (over-) seasoned pros! I was going to mention Tchaik 5 myself: a real old warhorse for me - the first classical LP I ever owned (aged around 11, some 45+ years ago...). But I took part in a performance yesterday, with a very good school orchestra: probably 2/3 of the players had never played it before. Real excitement, real enjoyment. It was good to be part of the clip-clopping entourage.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        YAY! Another favourite *warhorse is here: amateur51 !!

Come on, ammy - what's your poison?

*note I deleted the 'old'
        The first 'old warhorse' that I fell for was Tschaikovsky piano concerto no 1 on an LP performance by Phillipe Entremont. When I bought second-hand LPs I had several feet of different versions.

I still enjoy listening to it especially in 'live' performances on R3. Over the last few years standout performances have included those by Barry Douglas, Simon Trpceski and Yevgeny Sudbin

Sorry it's Tchaikovsky, Caliban

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
          I never tire [what never? WEll, hardly ever], of good Overtures. Berlioz, Rossini, Mozart, etc&, bring 'em on. 'William Tell' never fails to amuse me although it is certainly a real warhorse.
          I hope it doesn't mean my attention span has shortened, but they mostly contain so much good music.

I never tire of the Mozart PCs and Dvorak Symphonies either. lots more really.
          The Mozart PCs - truly inexhaustible
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• doversoul1
            Ex Member
            • Dec 2010

Vivaldi concertos (-ti) including Four Seasons. Never fail to cheer me up even on a dampest, darkest November morning. A lovely pack of lively Shetland ponies (Re: P.OD)

Comment

• Panjandrum

Viv's Stagioni: L'estate e L'inverno; brilliant showpieces of real invention

Comment

• mercia
                • Nov 2010

avoid the Breakfast and Essential Classics programmes. They never play old warhorses.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Marengo and Copenhagen (that's for the Radio 4 listeners!)

Comment

• barber olly

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                    avoid the Breakfast and Essential Classics programmes. They never play old warhorses.
                    Well never intact!

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                      warhorses (WHY "warhorses"??? ) I'm happy to hear again and again wd include, yes Dvorak New World, also Beethoven Piano Concertos and Symphonies (always so many different ways to approach them) ;
                      I feel I should object in principle to some of the greatest masterpieces of the greatest of all composers described as "warhorses"; still one man's warhorses are another's thoroughbreds.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                        Marengo and Copenhagen (that's for the Radio 4 listeners!)

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Rigoletto, Traviata, Trovatore - plenty of welcome cavalry there. Likewise Cav and Pag.

But I'll be quite happy never to hear another note of Puccini, with the possible exception of Boheme.

Comment

• barber olly

Originally posted by barber olly View Post
                            ....and then that rarity K525!
                            According to the programme playlist it was played by Philharmonic Orchestra Rudolf Kempe - not sure which Philharmonic or is it in fact Philharmonia?

Comment

• Panjandrum

Berlioz's Hungarian March and Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No.15 always have me reaching for the max volume setting - pure rock n'roll 19th century style!

Comment

• Flosshilde
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                                warhorses I race to turn off wd include ... Ride of the Valkyries out of context ;
                                The Ride of the Valkyries is a whole set of warhorses by itself

Can I nominate the Ring of the Nibelung as a warhorse I will never get tired of? (although it's not trotted out on a weekly basis - probably just as well; there wouldn't be much room for anything else). I'd also put Tchaik's 1st piano concerto in. Otherwise I'm not sure what counts as a warhorse - perhaps Zadok the Priest?

I'm afraid I can't stomach Dvorak's 9th, as a tired old warhorse or a sprightly hunter (if that's the opposite of a warhorse)

Comment

Working...
                                X