X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahlerei
    • Sep 2024

Gas!

Just seen a rather disturbing report on BBC News about the tear gas being used in Tahrir Square. According to their reporter it's much more potent than usual, rendering protestors unconscious; in some cases it seems to cause convuisions. Who is supplying this terrible stuff? There were rumours, based on the inspection of spent cartridges, that it's sourced in the US.
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

I'm sure our lovely Government will be bidding to supply fresh stocks if they run out
    ethics ? who needs em ?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

The only way is ethics

Comment

• Ferretfancy
        • Nov 2010

Somebody was showing the cameraman a canister on channel 4 news last night which was claimed to be of US manufacture, but you couldn't see it clearly.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
          Somebody was showing the cameraman a canister on channel 4 news last night which was claimed to be of US manufacture, but you couldn't see it clearly.
          well they manufacture a lot of the other weapons used all over the world..............
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• scottycelt

I've heard a disgusting rumour that all UK police batons are now made in China, but I can't be sure, though I do hope it's true ...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
              I've heard a disgusting rumour that all UK police batons are now made in China, but I can't be sure, though I do hope it's true ...
              If they were made OF china, the police would be more careful about using them against innocent protesters.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                If they were made OF china, the police would be more careful about using them against innocent protesters.
                cue mrP ?

(nothing to hide, nothing to fear !)

aaaah nothing to say then

Comment

• Chris Newman
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

UK urged to resist moves to add protocol to convention, which charities say will legalise use of controversial weapon

I find this disgusting news. If you care, read on:

The US is pushing governments to sign a law allowing the use of cluster bombs, a death warrant for thousands of children. We can stop this. Add your voice now!

Comment

• Flosshilde
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                    Not quite sure what your point is, Scotty - care to expand?

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
                      Thanks for that, CN. What's the betting that 'our' government finds an excuse for signing up to Obama's plans to continue producing and using these terror weapons.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                        Not quite sure what your point is, Scotty - care to expand?
                        I'm not an expansionist by nature, Floss, as I prefer to let others form their own conclusions rather than bombard them with politically-motivated propaganda.

However, you did ask, and my point is that if I despised, say, the Russians and Chinese I could easily point out even worse things than any police tear-gas cannisters used in Egypt, and rumoured to be manufactured in the US.

This one, for example ...

So, to sum up, why aren't some members here similarly concerned with the thousands who have already died in Syria, or indeed those who were murdered by government forces during the anti-government protests in Iran a few years ago?

Isn't that a fair enough question or am I being grossly naive in even posing it ... ?

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

Fair enough, & such trade does need to be exposed. I suppose a possible reason for being more exercised about USA & British (& other European) arms trade with oppressive regimes is that we have, supposedly, as more ethical view of such things than Russia, or China. In Britain the police haven't, as far as I know, used tear gas against British demonstrators (although I suspect troops in Northern Ireland might have done, along with rubber bullets), & it seems, therefore, more reprehensible to supply it to those regimes that do use it against their own citizens.

I realise, of course, that the arms trade is one of the UK's biggest earners, and that capitalism & the balance of trade excuses everything.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                            F I suppose a possible reason for being more exercised about USA & British (& other European) arms trade with oppressive regimes is that we have, supposedly, as more ethical view of such things than Russia, or China.
                            Yeah right , its a "possible" reason
                            but (as you suggest ) not entirely true

just waiting for Simon to come along with his "Christian" viewpoint

Comment

• John Skelton

At first hand:

Mosireen is a volunteer media activist collective that came together to document and transmit images of the Egyptian Revolution of 2011.

Comment

Working...
                              X