If your house is on fire what recording would you grab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
    I'd grab my external hard drive, with all my recordings ripped to flac!
    ahat a brilliant nidea!! Especially as some are 1tb!!
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
      ahat a brilliant nidea!! Especially as some are 1tb!!
      I would be very wary of trusting a HD to be the only storage (unless you go the whole raid array route)
      Hard drives will always fail
      I good friend of mine who does a lot of mastering for CD production has the technique of buying a new HD for each project , once he has finished it the HD is stored in a cupboard. The consequences of storing everything on a huge multi TB disc are that WHEN rather than IF it fails are that you loose everything rather than some things.

but life is like that

A crash reduces
      Your expensive computer
      To a simple stone.

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
        I would be very wary of trusting a HD to be the only storage (unless you go the whole raid array route)
        I good friend of mine who does a lot of mastering for CD production has the technique of buying a new HD for each project , once he has finished it the HD is stored in a cupboard. The consequences of storing everything on a huge multi TB disc are that WHEN rather than IF it fails are that you loose everything rather than some things.

but life is like that

A crash reduces
        Your expensive computer
        To a simple stone.
        Sounds like there is no fail safe way really?
        Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Everything's insured! I'd grab my composer-autographed scores (Tippett, Lutoslawski, Goehr, Birtwistle). The twins can look after themselves!

(Oh, alright: in the true spirit of of the Thread - and get prepared to "cringe", Bbm! -
          Mahler, Das Lied von der Erde, Patzak, FERRIER / VPO / Walter.)
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            Everything's insured! I'd grab my composer-autographed scores (Tippett, Lutoslawski, Goehr, Birtwistle). The twins can look after themselves!

(Oh, alright: in the true spirit of of the Thread - and get prepared to "cringe", Bbm! -
            Mahler, Das Lied von der Erde, Patzak, FERRIER / VPO / Walter.)
            That made me laugh
            Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Bumfluff
              • Nov 2011

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

but life is like that

A crash reduces
              Your expensive computer
              To a simple stone.

I had to look up what 'raid array' was, and it sounds complicated; I don't do anything as clever as that. I just back up my back ups, and put them in different buildings; some of my external HDs are in my parents' house. Thus when the HD I use daily dies (and it has done!), I quickly buy another one, back everything up again and store it safely.

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

and I would save my own recording of Henze talking and his symphony no.9 taped at the proms in 2000.

Actually, now I come to think of it, I havent seen this tape for years. Anyone know where it is?

3VS

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
                  I had to look up what 'raid array' was, and it sounds complicated; I don't do anything as clever as that. I just back up my back ups, and put them in different buildings; some of my external HDs are in my parents' house. Thus when the HD I use daily dies (and it has done!), I quickly buy another one, back everything up again and store it safely.
                  that seems a very sensible way to go IMV

Comment

Working...
                  X