If your house is on fire what recording would you grab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahlerei

I'd spontaneously combust trying to decide

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

"I've noticed you never rave about specific performances, 3VS

Whats wrong with you ?? !! " Quote.

Some works are so hard to get that you are just grateful for any performance!
      And I dont have 350 different recordings of Norrington conducting Bruckner symphony no.3 on different days of the week!

Anyway. In th old pre-12 note pop tune days I would record demos of my own keyboard stuff but not write it down properly. So if I didnt rescue thse tapes these works would be lost to the world.

3VS

Comment

• PatrickOD

I *had* a fire in 1984 and lost nearly all my LPs and tapes. I spent the next 20 or more years trying to replace everything - all indispensable - including starting a new collection of CDs to replace everything again. What a waste of time! All transient! If I had another fire I would grab my Brilliant Bach box, wich would see me out.

Oh, and my Hot Fives and Sevens - they are beside the Bach Box.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Billy Joel: We Didn't Start The Fire (as evidence for the loss adjuster).

Comment

• Panjandrum

They're all ripped, downloaded and backed up to an off site server so any such conflagration would not cause me the immeasurable heartbreak it would you folks.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by 3rd Viennese School View Post

And I dont have 350 different recordings of Norrington conducting Bruckner symphony no.3 on different days of the week! ... 3VS
              What's wrong with you, right enough, man ... ?

Mind you, in these days of YouTube etc, the last thing on my mind would be thinking of trying to save anything other than my own miserable skin ... oh, and the wife's gorgeous skin of course ... so sorry, Anton!

Comment

• Pilchardman

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                Billy Joel: We Didn't Start The Fire (as evidence for the loss adjuster).
                Very good. (Although I'm not sure I can forgive you for having the record in the first place...).

Comment

• old khayyam

Ah, now this very thought entered my mind exactly 8 years ago. Twas then it dawned on me that my vinyl record collection is even more precious than my favourite guitar. Rationale being that even the best guitar is replaceable, but some of the utterly valueless vinyl in my collection cannot be found for love or money.

So my answer is: All of it! I've spent a lifetime collecting it. It represents my life-story. More than just the music contained thereon, but the sleeves also i have spent a lifetime poring over.
                  Last edited by Guest; 25-11-11, 09:49.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                    What's wrong with you, right enough, man ... ?

Mind you, in these days of YouTube etc, the last thing on my mind would be thinking of trying to save anything other than my own miserable skin ... oh, and the wife's gorgeous skin of course ... so sorry, Anton!
                    Your wife is called Anton?!

How unexpectedly progressive of you, scotty

Comment

• kernelbogey
                      • Nov 2010

Off topic, but the only joke of Ricky Gervais I like is when he was asked what one thing he would save if his house were on fire; to which he replied, 'Oh, I suppose one of the twins....'

Comment

• kernelbogey
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                        Off topic, but the only joke of Ricky Gervais I like is when he was asked what one thing he would save if his house were on fire; to which he replied, 'Oh, I suppose one of the twins....'
                        Oops, should have read the thread in full before posting.

Comment

• Pilchardman

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post

Bogey!

Comment

• kernelbogey
                            • Nov 2010

Bogey!

I apologise. It was a lapse in taste to mention Gervais.

Comment

• Pilchardman

Comment

• Bumfluff
                                • Nov 2011

I'd grab my external hard drive, with all my recordings ripped to flac!

Comment

Working...
                                X